BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps anyone with a Nav system could tell those of us who've never had one why you like it ... or why you think you wated your money, if that's the case.

I live in a town of less than 150,000, but take frequent road trips to wine-tasting counties, big cites, etc. and have never thought I needed one. My trusy State Farm Road Atlas has always done me right!

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
The difference between a paper map, and the nav system is that you never have to take your eyes off the road for the nav.

Consider yourself never lost... you never have to find out where you are on a map, and you never have to find out how to get there on a map. If you need to take a detour because a road has closed, turn and the nav system will reroute you.

Stuck in a traffic jam? Select "New Route" and get an instant workaround.

It's very liberating. I never had it before, and now that I have it, I couldn't possibly buy another car without it. :thumbup:

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Your out late and running low on gas, will your paper map point out a gas station? Or a restaurnat or hotel or ATM? Will a paper map tell you the street is one way? And then tell you which road you should use to get the direction you're going?
You come upon a traffic jam, you gonna pull out the map in the middle of it to find an alternate route? It's dark and raining and you haven't been to the place your going, using a map ain't much fun. Have someone with a NAV take you out for a good demonstration. There's a lot more to them than simply the direction finding. When I picked up the car in Munich we had to drive into Switzerland. I looked at "shortest route" and it was 206 miles but time was estimated at 7 hours since the shortest route was through the mountain passes. Putting in "fastest route" was 296 miles but only a little over 4 hours since it was on the Autobahn. Yes, you can figure that out with maps but you'll be awhile doing it.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
It's a damn cool toy, just like my beamer.

Enough said. :angel:

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
The BMW Nav sucks. It is expensive. But it does look cool.

Garmin StreetPilot III Deluxe kit about $750. It works better, costs less, and you can move it to other cars or even take it with you on a trip and use it in a rental car.

Your choice.

I prefer to have the extra $1050 for other things.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with all...

except Pinecone...the BMW NAV does not SUCK...
I am a first time NAV user therefore having nothing to compare it to, but I love it, and that is all that counts...I got it knowing that I have very little use for it. I do know that I will have the car for at least 5 years so over that itme I am sure it will come in handy...
Im sure there are other products out there are cheaper and better...but keep it in perspective....you bought a bimmer because they are one of the best cars in the world...you did not buy it for its NAV system! :thumbup:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I can't see why it sucks. I took the delivery of a car a few weeks ago with DVD NAV. The reader is fast and it works like a charm. Next year the DVD discs will be coming. It will be much more better.

PS: Here in the Ol' Germany, you can order the NAV with a faster reader (costs somewhere around $50)

I'm using it and very happy with it.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Pinecone said:

Garmin StreetPilot III Deluxe kit about $750. It works better, costs less, and you can move it to other cars or even take it with you on a trip and use it in a rental car.

Your choice.

Each to their own regarding value. And regarding BMW's Nav sucks, well the GPS portion is obviously as good as any, but the user interface is way behind other manufacturers. I had an Acura Nav previously and never once needed to consult the user's guide. BMW's is not nearly as user friendly or intuitive. Having said that, I'd still buy it for the car as I find it very useful.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Pinecone said:

Your choice.

I think the integration with the rest of the interior is worth the $$.

There are plenty of aftermarket units with as good or better interfaces, but the BMW system is great functionally, and looks like it belongs in the car, instead of looking like a bolt-on afterthought.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Pinecone said:
The BMW Nav sucks.
Okay. But why? I don't deny you your opinion... but making a statement like that, we deserve to know why you think that way.

I can't wait to take delivery of my first bimmer... with NAV. At first, my wife and I thought it was an expensive toy we didn't need. We have maps and use mapquest/expedia when we need. But then I found out on these boards that the NAV is much more than a map. Features like asking it for nearby restaurants or gas stations are what sold us on the unit. And personally, I also think the integration is worth the extra cost over something that would tempting others to smash-and-grab.

Oh, and in regards to the BMW NAV interface not being as nice as others... well, isn't that the "German way". Seems like everything in German automobiles is too Teutonic for many people. Looks like the NAV lives up to that.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
atyclb said:
just heard on roadfly that navtech released the DVD's today
woohoo! That's good news. I wonder when will they be available here.

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
OBS3SSION said:
Okay. But why? I don't deny you your opinion... but making a statement like that, we deserve to know why you think that way.

I can't wait to take delivery of my first bimmer... with NAV. At first, my wife and I thought it was an expensive toy we didn't need. We have maps and use mapquest/expedia when we need. But then I found out on these boards that the NAV is much more than a map. Features like asking it for nearby restaurants or gas stations are what sold us on the unit. And personally, I also think the integration is worth the extra cost over something that would tempting others to smash-and-grab.

Oh, and in regards to the BMW NAV interface not being as nice as others... well, isn't that the "German way". Seems like everything in German automobiles is too Teutonic for many people. Looks like the NAV lives up to that.
The interface and display are not intuitive, easy to use, easy to understand the info provided. There are much better ones out there.

As to hardware, pretty much a GPS receiver is a GPS receiver. I can get one for my Palm Pilot. The user interface is where the differences are. I have used the Garmin (both in cars and aviaiton Garmins), took a good look at a friend's Nissan, used the Magellan NeverLost system which you can get in some Hertz rentals, and played with the BMW one. The BMW is the worst interface to me the driver.

Heck, even Roundel panned the BMW nav compared to others.

It COULD be fixed, but most of the problems are software related. Maybe BMW will fix it, but I was not willing to pay $18000 on the off chance that BMW will see fit to fix it.

And having more than one car, the portable unit means not having to pay $1800 for EACH vehicle.

I do agree that the integrated sdisplay is nice, but I could also have a good local shop install the Alpine or Kenwood system and it would look very nice. The BMW display with someone elses equipment driving would be nice, but like the CD changers, BMW probably uses some proprietary interface. :thumbdwn:

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
OH, and one other thing, with my Garmin I can plan and develop routes on my computer (desktop or laptop) and designate wayoints, then load them into the GPS.

A little more utility than having to sit in the car to do everything.

And I DO LIKE GPS. I have even convinced my wife that it is useful. Do you need it around your home town? Probably not (unless you live in or near a major city), but once you hit the road, it is the greatest thing since round tires. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is my first vehicle with one and I don't know how I lived without it. I just took a trip to San Diego to look at a bike for sale. It's relaxing to be able to punch in an address and not have to worry about it anymore. The whole 3+ hours I just did what the nav told me and found myself at the guy's house. Excellent tool.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
OBS3SSION said:
Okay.
I'm afraid I'm not after a "German way" if it means being much more difficult to use, does nothing better than another make, takes countless readings of the users manual, requires many more steps than competitors and is just plain not fun to use(meaning the set up, not in having it direct me to a location). This is coming from the person up above who praised the NAV and will still buy it again. Let me suggest to those whose only NAV experience has been with BMW, do yourself a favor and NOT use a NAV in an Acura or Lexus. You may not praise the user interface so quicky, Teutonic or not.

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts
NAV system

My wife convinced me to get the NAV because it would be our "Road Trip" vehicle. I was not really anxious to get it. I can now say that I will get one any vehicle I buy in the future. It is great! I just used it to find a museum in downtown Chicago. I could not believe how detailed and exact it was. I would have missed at least 3 of the splits in the streets and "Virginia" ( my nickname for my NAV) got me through all of it quite easily. I highly reccommend it. I never had one before, so I cannot compare it to others. I have found the one in my BMW easy to use.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Re: NAV system

bten said:
"Virginia" ( my nickname for my NAV)
Somehow, my wife and I ended up naming the nav in my 330 "The B i t c h."

:dunno:

:lmao: :lmao:

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts
Re: Re: NAV system

Plaz said:
Somehow, my wife and I ended up naming the nav in my 330 "The B i t c h."

:dunno:

:lmao: :lmao:
You obviously don't have kids, They would gladly tell your parents, and their friends what you call your NAV! :tsk:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts