BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped by both the MB and BMW interiors. The MB interiors are just so much more refined. More expensive-looking materials, well-designed. Then I look at the BMWs and they're just so ... spartan in comparison. Even with the E90 BMW somehow decided to stick with a decidedly bare interior. This has GOT to be a conscious decision on their part ... and one that I just don't understand. Can't a car drive well and be luxurious at the same time?

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
hummm... :confused: Not quite sure what your are talking about, I kindda like the "W" Hotel styling than all that fluff. Perhaps, its functionality over form. I like the BMW interior much better than the the crappy MBZ interior :thumbup:

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
You seem to like MB. Why didn't you get one?

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
Have you seen 7-series interior lately? It's much nicer than S-class Merc and the only car with better one is Audi A8. I think Audi makes the best interiors lately, both in quality and ergonomics but I still like that no nonsense approach in BMW.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F1Crazy said:
Have you seen 7-series interior lately? It's much nicer than S-class Merc and the only car with better one is Audi A8. I think Audi makes the best interiors lately, both in quality and ergonomics but I still like that no nonsense approach in BMW.
No nonsense approach? Ya mean bare? :eeps: Tell me why no nonsense equates with cheap(er)?

LOL, not trying to troll here as much as it sounds like I am!

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
thelookingglass said:
No nonsense approach? Ya mean bare? :eeps: Tell me why no nonsense equates with cheap(er)?

How is it cheap? I don't get it :dunno: You've got nice texture of vinyl parts, everything is well put together, every information is presented in a way that doesn't detract from driving, you can get wood trim and leather, everything is nice to the touch... I remember ML my father-in-law had, it was POS. Nice quality of M-B ended in early 90's.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The last Chrysler Cirrus I drove had a nice-looking interior. But it feels like ass and you know it'll fall apart in no time. Same with the every MB I've been in the last 6-8 years. And I don't WANT a fully luxo interior anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Z4phillygirl said:
.........The only thing I dislike about BMW's dash is the orange display at night.... I like something more soft, like a light green or blue. But, I made my peace with that peeve 4.5 years ago... and thankfully, I keep the dash lights dialed down to the minimum setting....
*****Ahem*** Ehhh... the orange ligting was proven to be softer on human eyes.... That is why fighter/bomber internal lighting are orage. :eeps:

Better come up w/ a better excuse quick... :p

beewang ;)

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Z4phillygirl said:
Are you sure fighter/bomber gauges aren't orange so they can just be seen easier because of the vast contrast?
Red gives the most contrast, but the next step down is orange/amber and it is easier on the eyes.

So they say.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Specifically, 605nm.

Any opthamologists in the house who could actually explain what goes on with this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've owned 6 Mercedes; including an E55 AMG, and I think that BMW interiors are better quality.
Mercedes interiors feel cheap to me.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
All German cars have traditionally had "spartan" interiors compared with American or Japanese luxury cars. In the days when Mercedes was actually building high quality cars, their interiors were quite "bare" as well. I do think that the some Mercedes interiors (new E and SL) have a more pleasing design than the newer BMWs, but to me, they all feel equally "cheap". THe C classs, even w/ its latest facelfit still looks and feels cheap, as does the S-class.

HOwever, I actually agree w/ BMW"s interior philosophy more than Mercedes-- BMW is trying to create a minimalist, focused environment. They have failed in a number of ways, but they are trying. Keep in mind that the most expensive "luxurious" fruniture tends to be the modnern, minimalist pieces. Its actually more expensive to pull of a "minimalist" look because you really do have to use high qualty materilas and put it together very well (because any flaw is very apparent). BMW coudn't quite pull this off with their new cars. To me, the only current German car that manages to pull off the "european luxry minimalism" look is the A8. My favorite German interiors are the BMW e30, e34 and e39 and the late 80s/early 90s Mercedes "E-class". These interiors were kind of spartan, but had a pleasing design and were very well put together w/ nice switchgear. To me, that's luxury. I will say that the e90s interior is a little better in terms of switchgear and materials, ut the overall design is still too fussy.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
thelookingglass said:

As far as I am concerned the BMW interiors arent spartan enough.

Think back to the classic BMWs they were always more utilitarian than their competitors. One of the last to adopt cup holders, etc.

Function over form. Its a driving machine not a living room.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I officially proclaim my ignorance in the presence of all you Bimmer vets.

But, seriously, maybe "cheap" is the wrong word. As one of you pointed out, some of the MB interiors have more pleasing designs. I think that's more what I'm getting at than the actual quality of the materials. For example, why does BMW insist on using the same outdated red panels for the radio? Why does the E90 dash look like it might be right at home in a MY 1980s car?

It's one thing to seek a minimalist look, but it's another thing altogether to look outdated. Of all the new interiors, only the 6er and the 7er appeal to me. The 5er could be better if the middle armest were one piece instead of what looks like three separate compartments, and if the armrest covers looked a bit more "plush."

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
thelookingglass said:
Ok, I officially proclaim my ignorance in the presence of all you Bimmer vets.

But, seriously, maybe "cheap" is the wrong word. As one of you pointed out, some of the MB interiors have more pleasing designs. I think that's more what I'm getting at than the actual quality of the materials. For example, why does BMW insist on using the same outdated red panels for the radio? Why does the E90 dash look like it might be right at home in a MY 1980s car?

It's one thing to seek a minimalist look, but it's another thing altogether to look outdated. Of all the new interiors, only the 6er and the 7er appeal to me. The 5er could be better if the middle armest were one piece instead of what looks like three separate compartments, and if the armrest covers looked a bit more "plush."
Agree-- the execution could be much better. The e90s dash is sort of 80s as has been pointed out.

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Red instrument lighting is used in military equipment because it has the least effect on one's night-vision. Blue and green may seem more "soothing" pshchologically, but they are the worst colours to use if you wish to preserve your ability to see well in low-light situations (such as driving at night).

[begin rant]
Instrument panels and radio dials "look 80's"? Who gives a rat's a--? Is this a car or a fashion statement? If you don't like it, fine. But "It looks dated" is a BS reason. It's what a salesman says to convince a sucker to buy something that they don't need or really want.
[end rant]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mathew said:
Red gives the most contrast, but the next step down is orange/amber and it is easier on the eyes.

So they say.
Red does not change the dilation of the eyes (I use a red light when ascending mountains before sunrise) so it stands to reason that orange/amber has a minimal dilation of the pupil.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you want the car to drive you buy a Mercedes Benz. If you want to drive the car buy a BMW. That's why.

·
In cubicle hell
550 Posts
I've always loved BMW interiors!!! Even my dad's 1971 2002 was cool (hey, I was 4 when he got it and could only change gears sitting in the passenger's seat with my hand over my dad's :drive: )

The first time I took a friend of mine in my old 323i at night and I turned on the lights she went "Wow! Nice!" I was never a big fan on the green in the old US cars and VW, and the blue inside the new VW doesn't quite do it either. And as I like to say "Orange is a very fast color" :eeps:
Everyone who sits in my car always compliments me on the nice leather - which is in fact leatherette...

One thing I'm still trying to figure out why BMW is going away from the driver-oriented design which to me always has been their trademark... :confused:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts