BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ordering a new 335is and it seems I can't get the upgraded sound system on it's own anymore. Now when you select it in the configurator it automatically adds BMW Assist & the IPOD USB adaptor. Thus taking an expensive radio and making it $2025.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
It su(ks when you can't get exactly what you want even when you order the car. IMHO the BMW assist/bluetooth will likely pay for itself when it is time to sell. By then we may be hands free only cell use. It may be an issue selling a car w/o bluetooth soon. N4S

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,936 Posts
I can't answer your question, but.......I can tell you that you should have and you will appreciate having Bluetooth, so that should make it all worthwhile. With upgrading the stereo I imagine BMW reckons the iPod/usb are must haves along with it. BMW Assist is free for four years and it actually could end up saving your life. Maybe those thoughts will make it easier.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I don't want either of the other options and given it's a lease potential resale of those options is not important to me. I just want to go back to the configuration of last week.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,936 Posts
Actually I don't want either of the other options and given it's a lease potential resale of those options is not important to me. I just want to go back to the configuration of last week.
Do you use your cell phone while driving?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I do I have an BT ear-piece that syncs up fine w/ the iphone in my pocket whether I'm in my car or not

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,936 Posts
If I do I have an BT ear-piece that syncs up fine w/ the iphone in my pocket whether I'm in my car or not
Having used both I can tell you that bluetooth integrated into the car beats an ear piece with a stick. For BMW the bluetooth with BMW Assist is worth every penny. Maybe you could compare it to Comfort Access. If you don't have it you can live without it, but that doesn't make it not worth having.

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
It may or may not be "worth it". That is a matter of personal taste/choice. The point is that BMW prevents the consumer from making that choice.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You.. I'm glad someone gets it. I've had it, and it's not "worth it", it would barely be worth it at free.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I suspect you can order the car exactly like you want in Germany. However, you will pay much, much more and you will have to keep it there.

Your gripe is perfectly valid and as you probably know is a recent change. I'm just pointing out that there IS some good news -- at least we get 'em cheaper than anywhere else, even if our choices are very restricted.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
It may or may not be "worth it". That is a matter of personal taste/choice. The point is that BMW prevents the consumer from making that choice.
Do you have any idea how much it would cost to make a car completley to order with modern manufacturing the way it is? By the time you got done making up for those extra costs you would end up paying more in the first place. Every single person ordering a car would pick something that isnt part of the standard configuration. Not to mention how this would make used car shopping impossible.

When you go to the restaurant you order from the menu right? You don't pull up to burger king and order a large pizza right?

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
Your analogy is a poor one. At BK you "can have it your way." I can get my whopper how ever I want it. Many of these things used to be stand alone options. BMW is using the bundling to drive adoption/market penetration of those options/techs.

I understand the economics of manufacturing. But we are talking about the small % of customers who special order. I'm sure what you are talking about makes sense If you are talking about costly components. But are you telling me that Audi can make money selling a completely integrated nav system with all of these features for $2700 while BMW can only make money at $3900 (what nav effectively costs)?

·
Registered
385 Posts
How much does maintenance on that Audi cost? Does it have Teleservice? does it have Satellite with a full years subscription?
Is its center of gravity equal to the BMWs? I won't even ask about the front-to-rear weight ration. The Audi is a great car but it's not a BMW. There a ton of lesser cars that will give you "free" technological gadgets...none of them equal in any respect to the driving experience of a BMW...rant over

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This got way off topic. now w/ an audi vs bwm discussion.

The reality is they allowed it last week and they don't know. The goal is bundle pricing to increase profits it has nothing to do w/ manufacturing costs and configuration expenses.

There's nothing I can do about it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
Don't get me wrong I prefer BMWs but don't kid yourself. The performance gap between Audi and BMW is getting smaller and smaller with each year. The A4 isn't exactly a Buick. Why do you think BMW has been throwing in the value package? It's because of price competition from Audi. Heck one day Lexus might even figure out how to build an exciting car. My general point is that since BMW forces you buy all of this stuff together anyway they should at least stop pretending that a nav system actually costs $2100 when in fact it costs $3500 and comes with a POS stereo at that price. The margins they must be making on ipod/usb, bluetooth, and bmwapps have to be off the charts.

Customization is the wave of the future. It fits very well with modern flexible JIT manufacturing. I have no desire to own a Scion and I am way too old to be into the whole street tuner thing but Toyota has discovered a brilliant business model. Eventually those kids will want to graduate from their rice burners and would be prime buyers for BMW. Greater customization is the pathway.

Also as I said before I can understand different rules for those buying standardized configurations off the lot and those placing special orders (especially ED customers).

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
My last point on this then I'm done. Why one Earth does the M sport package cost the same on a 328 AWD as it does on the RWD? The sport package is $400 cheaper on the xi which make sense since you are not getting the sport suspension. You are simply paying a premium for wheels, seats, and sporty steering wheel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re:"The performance gap between Audi and BMW is getting smaller and smaller with each year."...on that note, I completely agree. I think BMW will have to better market their options similar to other mfrs, especially since Audi IS so close/equal/closing-the-gap etc. I think as their just-in-time parts delivery succeeds more and more, hopefully they can address more specifically ordered cars, even if that amount of specificity costs the consumer more. Most BMW buyers don't mind an added cost as oong as they get what they want.

·
BMW
884 Posts
Your analogy is a poor one. At BK you "can have it your way." I can get my whopper how ever I want it. Many of these things used to be stand alone options. BMW is using the bundling to drive adoption/market penetration of those options/techs.

I understand the economics of manufacturing. But we are talking about the small % of customers who special order. I'm sure what you are talking about makes sense If you are talking about costly components. But are you telling me that Audi can make money selling a completely integrated nav system with all of these features for $2700 while BMW can only make money at $3900 (what nav effectively costs)?
Using the A5 is an example...you can not just add navi as a stand alone option. You have to first upgrade to the premium plus pkg for an addtional $3,700 then add navi for another $2,550 and/or the premium sound for $850.

Simply, can you get a premium A5 with navi or premium sound only? No

So your Audi analogy is also incorrect...because "you can't have it your way"

If all OP wanted was to add premium sound to his A5 premium...he can't. He would have to spend an addtional $4,550.00 just to get premium sound

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts

So this you need to know... This aint Burger King.... and you can't have it your way anymore.

Capische'??!!:dunno:

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
Seriously BMW make up your freaking mind. I was just on the online configuration and navigation no longer requires adding bmw assist/bluetooth.:thumbup: Here's the rub. If you don't get bmwassist/bluetooth your stuck with the leatherette seats (no value package without it). Plus you still can't get ipod/usb without getting bluetooth:thumbdwn:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts