BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm writing a paper about why ppl buy BMWs. What was most appealing about BMW versus a competing brand such as Acura, Infiniti, Audi, etc? Would you buy another BMW? Thanx!

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
A spirited test drive is all it takes to learn why we bought our cars... :D

·
Ik hou van Holland...
5,226 Posts
I test drove a Mercedes C240 Wagon, Audi A4 Avant, Volvo XC90. After those drives I drove the 325iT and decided rightaway that the handling of the BMW along with the worksmanship of the BMW was by far superior to the Mercedes, Audi and Volvo....:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I am vain and stuck up, I wanted one for the badge since all the "right" people have Beemers. Unfortunately for me, the only one they had was equipped with this horrible "manual" drive stick thing with an extra pedal. I have gotten used to it but its hard to carry my Latte and (I guess they call it) shifting. Fortunately I just put in the "upper" slot and drive; the engine seems to make these knocking noises sometimes but I just turn up the stereo. One fog light has burned out but it may have something to do with the fact that I have them on day and night.

It runs great on regular Walmart gas (got to same the pennies - impresses the ladies hehe) but I am dissapointed in the "coal dust" wheels - I hadn't looked them for a few months but I kind of thought they were shiner when I drove off from the showroom. I have driven it through the car wash dozens of times but these wheels don't seem to come clean - I mean come on what is up with that, my Sentra wheel covers were always fine. It also has this extra "thing" in the dashboard, but it must not mean much since it only goes up to 1500 since I leave the "stick" thing in the uppper left slot like I said.

I don't really like how STIFF the ride is, and the seats are pretty uncomfortable; they have the side-mounted "pads" that dig into my, erm, nether regions. Not a great design IMHO.

I think after the lease is up I'll get a Lexus though, all my friends at the health club rave about theirs.

Good luck with your paper...

:angel: :bigpimp:

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
wingspan said:
I am vain and stuck up, I wanted one for the badge since all the "right" people have Beemers. Unfortunately for me, the only one they had was equipped with this horrible "manual" drive stick thing with an extra pedal. I have gotten used to it but its hard to carry my Latte and (I guess they call it) shifting. Fortunately I just put in the "upper" slot and drive; the engine seems to make these knocking noises sometimes but I just turn up the stereo. One fog light has burned out but it may have something to do with the fact that I have them on day and night.

It runs great on regular Walmart gas (got to same the pennies - impresses the ladies hehe) but I am dissapointed in the "coal dust" wheels - I hadn't looked them for a few months but I kind of thought they were shiner when I drove off from the showroom. I have driven it through the car wash dozens of times but these wheels don't seem to come clean - I mean come on what is up with that, my Sentra wheel covers were always fine. It also has this extra "thing" in the dashboard, but it must not mean much since it only goes up to 1500 since I leave the "stick" thing in the uppper left slot like I said.

I don't really like how STIFF the ride is, and the seats are pretty uncomfortable; they have the side-mounted "pads" that dig into my, erm, nether regions. Not a great design IMHO.

I think after the lease is up I'll get a Lexus though, all my friends at the health club rave about theirs.

Good luck with your paper...

:angel: :bigpimp:
And one wonders why they say that BMW owners are obnoxious! :rofl:

--J.

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
My top reasons, compared to other cars I considered at the time: Ride and handling, feedback to the driver, overall design, best seats (with ZSP), history of excellent resale value.

Of course, there were the little things, as well: available folding seats (not available on the G35 or IS), tight turning circle (~34 feet rivals Civics), and decent mileage.

Also, the idea that such a car could be had for just a hair over $30k represented a real value to me.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
Handling, response, performance, safety, style, fit & finish.

And I always feel good driving home, no matter how bad or good my day was.

·
Nerd
1,432 Posts
Evee said:
Hey, I'm writing a paper about why ppl buy BMWs. What was most appealing about BMW versus a competing brand such as Acura, Infiniti, Audi, etc? Would you buy another BMW? Thanx!
Have you checked out the book The End of Detroit : How the Big Three Lost Their Grip on the American Car Market by Micheline Maynard? It's an interesting account of how two very different companies, Hyundai and BMW, have managed to make huge inroads on the American brands. Not the best book but informative nonetheless.

Also check out, Driven : Inside BMW, the Most Admired Car Company in the World by David Kiley.

I planned to purchase an Acura, but took the Bimmer after a test drive. :D

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Why did I buy my BMW?
It was one of a very few automobiles that fit my requirements:
1. Rear-wheel (or all-wheel) drive.
2. More than 4 cylinder (or rotary) ehgine.
3. Manual transmission.
4. Navigation system available.
5. Enough cargo space for 3 guitars.
6. Seating comfort that allows me to drive for 400 miles and still walk when I exit the vehicle.
7. Fun to drive.
8. Cruise control that works (doesn't slow down on hills).
9. Enough power that I DON'T have to "floor it" every time I start out.
10. A cool online group like this!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Couple reasons I bought a Z4 over competition(tested SLK230, Boxster S, & S2000)
1) Best interior of the bunch.
2) Best sound system
3) Fully auto top
4) Very competitive price
5) Good options list
6) BMW dealer is much friendly than the MB & porsche dealers.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
The dealership was cozy, at each of my visits, they always served free coffee and cookies.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
The dealership was cozy, at each of my visits, they always served free coffee and cookies.
Bah!! You are a cheap date Baumann :p

I couldn't afford a Porsche or Ferrari, so I had to settle for the POS BMW. ;)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
BMW = Rear wheel drive, fun, and the desire to be an individual. Japanese makes are too cookie cutter, too alike, too gizmo-ish. Caddillac and Mercedes are for blue hairs, Buffy & Chad, and rich old women. Audi too funky.

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
I wanted a reasonably powerful, good handling and fun to drive 4 seat convertible and I did NOT want a Mustang. I drove several 3er cabriolets while working in Germany and was immediately sold on 'em.

Once you drive a BMW (esp on the autobahn) then you are spoiled for anything else!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Evee said:
BMW vs. Audi, Infiniti, etc? Here's why we went BMW:

#1 Handling and feedback to the driver

#2 Build quality - hit a bump in a BMW with 50k miles, it feels dampened and solid. Hit a bump in a G35 with 50k miles, it feels like a typical buzzy Japanese rattletrap. Infiniti squeezes out over 50 more HP in a G35 than a BMW 330, plus adds a limited slip differential, for about the same price. They had to cut corners somewhere.

#3 Safety - this goes somewhat with #2.

#4 Value - BMWs hold their resale values extremely well compared with the other premium competition.

#5 All the little crap - the stuff that makes you go "thank you for thinking of that"... auto down AND up for ALL windows AND the sunroof, a reversible trunk mat with rubber grips on the bottom, bungee hooks in the trunk, a rechargable flashlight in the glovebox, etc.

#6 Style - BMWs look far better (cosmetically) than the competition to me.

·
TTSam
745 Posts
Evee said:
Just drive any BMW - and nothing else will come even remotely close.

Case closed! Thank you very much for your time..............

1 - 20 of 40 Posts