BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a non-owner of a BMW and looking to buy I can only provide input based on test driving experiences and not long term ownership.

I have my eyes set on a 535i because it put a smile on my face during the test drive. The car rode beautifully and had power behind the wheels. I know BMW is sorta behind the times when it comes to gizmos and electronics but I'm hoping the ones they do have are well tested and don't cause much issues.

Why did you guys choose BMW vs it's competition (Audi, MB, Jags etc...)

· Go Dawgs!
1,108 Posts
It's called "Freude am Fahren," the Joy of Driving. It's that smile you said you had when you took your test drive! BMWs will do that (well, not the F01/F10 so much, but generally).

The smile comes because BMW has a design philosophy that other automakers just can't quite seem to match. Perfect balance, predictable handling, communicative feel, abundant power, and an overall feel that makes you just want to get in your car and drive it. Take that corner too fast! Brake later and harder! Hit the apex of the turn and mash it!

They're also beautifully styled cars that set trends rather than follow, and contrary to your comment BMW actually tends to be at the forefront of technology (although their maddeningly deficient navigation systems defy comprehension).

In the E60, you've found a BMW chassis near the peak of perfection. Lots of opinions good and bad on the styling (it's really grown on me, and now I absolutely love it), but overall BMW got the E60 right. :thumbup:

As for why BMW over Audi, Mercedes, Jag, in a nutshell:

Audi: Great interiors, so-so styling, not enough power, not as communicative, not as much fun. Not a BMW
Mercedes: Lifeless blue-hair barges, exquisite engineering but boring boring boring to drive. Not a BMW
Jaguar: Great style, but reliability sucks, too much WOW! gimmickry in the cockpit. Not a BMW

· Registered
105 Posts
For me being 36 with two boys and a wife, I wanted a sedan that was powerful, feature packed, sporty and had room for the family within the $33-$$38k price range. I had just bought my wife a 2008 Cadillac CTS and so the order was tall for the new ride to meet. I like Mercedes and test drove a Mercedes E350 and it didn't have the features or performance. Jags ride rough so I did not consider that brand. I don't care for the look of the 2008-2009 look of Audi A6 and the A4 is too small. Although it's not in the same class, I did take a look at a new fully loaded Kia optima which has all the bells and whistles but not the power and I didn't want to pay $36k for a Kia. I ended up deciding between an 2008 Audi A8 with the sports pkg and the BMW 5 series. After my oldest son said that the Audi A8 was boring and my mom said it made me look old lol I turned to just the BMW.

My next hurdle was deciding between a 535 with turbos or a 550i and came to realize that I was not going to dump tons of money into a 535 to make it look and perform as good or better than a 550i. So I chose a 09 550i and have been having fun for the last 3 months. Now that the new 2011/2012 Audi's look inspiring again, maybe i will look into a A7 or A8 in a couple of years. However the 550i is just fun to drive especially in sport mode as the car just comes alive and wants more, kinda reminds me of my 08 Yamaha R6 ;)

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're also beautifully styled cars that set trends rather than follow, and contrary to your comment BMW actually tends to be at the forefront of technology (although their maddeningly deficient navigation systems defy comprehension).
\
I just meant it lacks standard features or even certain options (I know newer models have these goodies as options) that japanese competitors have had for years, for example parking assistance, back up camera/front view camera/ cooling seats/heated steering wheels, etc...

Despite this I love the feel of the car and I want a car that I enjoy driving first and for most. I've also heard of aftermarket backup camera's that I've already concidered :thumbup:

· BMW Master Wannabe
449 Posts
I just meant it lacks standard features or even certain options (I know newer models have these goodies as options) that japanese competitors have had for years, for example parking assistance, back up camera/front view camera/ cooling seats/heated steering wheels, etc...

Despite this I love the feel of the car and I want a car that I enjoy driving first and for most. I've also heard of aftermarket backup camera's that I've already concidered :thumbup:
Buy the BMW because you like to drive a great car. If you are truly wanting to a car that is fun to drive, then you don't need rear view camera. Personally, I think that is for folks who are too stiff to turn their head around or look in the mirrors. If you are looking forward at a screen you cannot see what is coming in the periphery of your field of view. The camera is like looking through a tube. If you spend a lot of time driving backwards then maybe you should consider the Toyota or Acura with all the candy. :bigpimp:

I bought my first BMW I ever drove, 2000 e39 528. I had it for 10 years and it was 2 years old and only 17K miles when I got it. I didn't pay maint for up to 50k and CPO up to 100K miles. I wasn't looking to get rid of it, but an accident forced an economic decision to upgrade to a newer 2005 545i. My old car had 209K miles on it and still mechanically sound when I parted with it. The 545/550 is a rocket sled. I would stick with a 2006 or greater in the 8 cylinder model though. Fewer engine related issues, we are just now finding out over past couple of years.

The Germans build a very solid car. Design and safety features are the hallmark of a BMW auto. I bought my 545 because I enjoy the power, driveability, and comfort of driving 80-90 mph on the toll highways.

Since I bought an older car with low miles, the electronics don't match with what you can get in a late year model. I accept that limitation because I don't care about cameras, latest Navi technology with traffic (iPhone has that), or radar for cruise control. My foot does all the work on the pedals. Some of this stuff just breaks over time and it can be expensive to fix.

BMW is a drivers' car. It is meant to be fun getting where you want to go, even if it is your Mother-in-laws place. :rofl:

· Registered
735 Posts

BMW has had PDC (Park Distance Control) for years, I'm guessing but probably since around the turn of the century. I personally like my PDC more than a camera but thats me. I have heated seats/steering wheel and so does my wife on her '97 528i, the thing about BMWs is that almost everything is optional, so find which packages you want on your car and look for that one. Here what most people want Navigation, Premium, Sport, possibly Cold weather for heated thing and Logic 7. Just look around, some people order these car with nothing in them and others load them out. A good rule of thumb is the higher the model the better the chance of it having more stuff in it, sometimes.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
My grandfather had the first BMW 320i 1977 in Lexington ky.Everbody thought he was crazy costing more than a new Cadillac .After a few rides it was evident there was something different about that car.Ive liked BMWs ever since.So few German cars here then whenever seeing another they would flash headlights.Kind of goofy to think of that now.

· Registered
313 Posts
In my Biased opinion, BMWs are the best looking cars on the road. No other car draws my attention more than a BMW. I generally like most cars that come from Europe. European styling is just unmatched by other car companies from Japan and the US. And im sorry for saying this, because I am a proud American, but American car are just FUGLY. Theres not one Mustang that makes me go, Wow, I gotta have that in my lifetime. Plus theyre a dime a dozen. Cameros are too boring, SS or not, and even if I see an SRT8 dodge on the road, the excitement just isnt there. Now since ur examples were mainly Europen, the competition gets tougher. Whenever I see an AMG Merc, my eyes widen a bit and I go, OOOhhh. I did see a V12 Biturbo AMG SLR in Atlanta once and I screamed like a little girl. I thought it was so cool to see one of those. I love to see the Audi teardrops in oncomming traffic. And every once in a while when I see a Lambo or Ferrari in daily traffic, im like a kid in a theme park goin wild over the sight of them. But even after all that being said, BMWs, even though you see them daily, they still have that laid back beauty that never gets old. And thats what I first notice in a BMW. They dont need to look crazy, they dont need to be flared out or oddly colored, or have big spoilers, loud exhaust, and be victimed to stickerbombing to give you that wow factor. It just needs to look like a traditional BMW. Kidney grilles and four Corona Rings. And of course the Hofmeister Kink which is one of my favorite stylings on a BMW. I hope they never get rid of that. And every once in a while ill see an ///M, which really puts me in heat.:rofl: I kid. As if the outside wasnt good enough, they go and make wounderful interiors. And on top of all that, theres the power, the handling, the acceleration. All the things that put the smile on my face aswell. I sorta wrote a book there, but that ist even a fraction of the story.

· Registered
125 Posts
I concur with the above. I don't believe anyone has mentioned the workmanship and attention to detail, especially in the interior. My first BMW was a 98 528i having come out of a series of Volvos. I spent hours just sitting in that car marveling at the fact that there were no exposed screws or seems in the plastic, vinyl or leather. The tactile sensations of the switch gear and every surface one touched was exquisite. 10 years later, that same experience has been taken to the next level with my '08 535i. I find flaws with every other comparable make in this regard.

· Registered
895 Posts
If you find BMW interior lacking in techy stuff, that means you have not paid enough attention to details.:rofl:

Do you notice how the turn signal stalk work on the 535? The fact that you can program it to flash 3 times on a single push is brilliant. I have yet seen it on any other car.

Or how about the electronic shifter? The device that totally moves away from the conventional shifter is pure space age in the way it looks and feels.

The iDrive is another BMW ingenuity. Since its inception it has become a target of imitation by other luxury car brands.

So when you get into a BMW, you are surrounded by technology and innovation; you just need to find them.;)

· Propellers Up Front
2,020 Posts
I like being called a prick. :D
It just seems to be for me a perfect combination of sport and
utility in a marginally big car. Big and roomy, but not huge (knowing there's a
7 series). If I needed more luxury I probably would have gotten an E class.
The 5 (sport package) just seems to be really sporty when you're in the mood.
And being part of a group/company that has developed a reputation for having
their famed grill ALL in your rear view mirror so move out of the way isn't bad either.

There is a HUGE difference in the way traffic treats me when I'm in my 5 versus
my Jetta. That's cool to see sometimes.

· Registered
313 Posts
If you find BMW interior lacking in techy stuff, that means you have not paid enough attention to details.:rofl:

Do you notice how the turn signal stalk work on the 535? The fact that you can program it to flash 3 times on a single push is brilliant. I have yet seen it on any other car.

Or how about the electronic shifter? The device that totally moves away from the conventional shifter is pure space age in the way it looks and feels.

The iDrive is another BMW ingenuity. Since its inception it has become a target of imitation by other luxury car brands.

So when you get into a BMW, you are surrounded by technology and innovation; you just need to find them.;)
I remeber hearing from somwhere(Topgear I think, but not sure of their sources), that the E39 by the time the 03 model hit, had more technology than a space shuttle. I know it sure as H3LL had about as many buttons:rofl: But yea, by the time the last model facelifts comeout, the things loaded with toys. Mine is an 05 model and it doesnt even have an aux port:cry:. And when I tell people that, theyre really surprised because they think, BMW= everything I have + more. But thats not the case with the earlier year models even with the highest trim. Each year, the current chassis keeps getting more loaded and loaded, making the earlier models look as obsolete as VHS.

· BMWCCA Member #405750
1,654 Posts
Philosophy is why, but it's not as clear as it used to be.

· Registered
1,618 Posts
Another interesting fact is that BMW is the only large auto manufacturer that is still owned privately. A majority controlling interest is held by the Quandt family.
I believe this has an impact on the philosophy guiding quality, design and production levels.

· Banned
403 Posts
the cars look great, drive great and i don't think i will own anything other than a bmw from now on.
+1! The best combination of speed, handling, comfort, technology, & sheer visual appeal in the industry! Just look at how many 5series wanna be look alikes are out there! The E60, to me, is the most distinctive, aesthetically beautiful BMW I have seen. No other Bimmer like it, before, or since! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.