BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already was debating to choose 325Xi or 330i from the other thread… I started thinking why not X5? Fully loaded 330i and Minimum loaded X5 costs same!!! Then why not X5? Any one thought about this? X5 thread is not active at all.

I see so many people go with 330i and 330Xi. I am sure there should be some strong reason for that. Surprisingly even guys who like SUVs, choose 3 series.. What is it?

The following are my likings..
- I like SUV.. Being taller and more visible to the road.
- I drive in snow.. X5 would be great in snow.. right?
- I need more space.. (X5 got more space compared to 330i)
- I can live without PP, SP in X5

Question:
Can we compare both? What would be the difference between the two in terms of,
1. Resale value after 4 years?
2. Maintenance cost?
3. Performance?
4. Look/appearance

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
:tsk:

Have you considered perhaps a Trailblazer or another Explorer? Might be a better fit for your budget.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Originally posted by maransm
BMW's AWD system is not the best in the world. I don't like the idea that I can fry my brakes by trying to get myself unstuck, never putting my foot on the brake pedal. The AWD system is the same in the xi and the X5, but the extra ground clearance of the X5 may be an advantage with more than a couple inches on the ground.

- I need more space.. (X5 got more space compared to 330i)
barely any more room in the X5 than in my 3er Touring.

1. Resale value after 4 years?
I don't know, but my guess is that the precentages will be comperable.

2. Maintenance cost?
If you're buying new, you'll get 4 years of free maintenance on either, so that's a wash.

3. Performance?
X5 3.0 vs 330xi? 330xi in every performance category.

4. Look/appearance
personal preference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I drive Ford Explorer and NO WAY I am going for another Ford.. :thumbdwn:

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Re: Re: Why do you guys choose 330i/330Xi instead of X5???

BMW's AWD system is not the best in the world. I don't like the idea that I can fry my brakes by trying to get myself unstuck, never putting my foot on the brake pedal. The AWD system is the same in the xi and the X5, but the extra ground clearance of the X5 may be an advantage with more than a couple inches on the ground.
I went with a 330xi over an SUV and I agree with all of Clyde's thoughts. One thing to add to the above, the X5 may have better clearance but it's higher center of gravity and curb weight will NOT be an advantage in handling or stopping in the snow.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
I prefer a lower center of gravity, with less tendency to roll.

I prefer to not block everyone else's view of the road, for my own safety.

I have no need for hauling large loads of anything, and if I did, I'd just get a pickup or a van.

I prefer to only waste as much gas as it takes to give me good performance... not as much as it takes to get good performance in a massive vehicle.

I prefer cars.

·
10,856 Posts
I cross-shopped the X5 4.4i and the 325xiT. The only good thing about the X5 was that it handled better than any other SUV I've driven and it had a lot of torque. If I drove the X5 the way I drive my Bimmer, I'd have rolled it by now.
SUVs are stupid, dangerous, virtually useless machines, compared to their car counterparts.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Why do you guys choose 330i/330Xi instead of X5???

ERK said:

I went with a 330xi over an SUV and I agree with all of Clyde's thoughts. One thing to add to the above, the X5 may have better clearance but it's higher center of gravity and curb weight will NOT be an advantage in handling or stopping in the snow.
At driving in the snow speeds, I don't see the higher CG being much of an issue. With the limited traction, it will slide long before it rolls (until it builds up enough packed snow on the sides of the wheels to flip it). The greater mass will definately increase braking distances though.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
I don't want to drive an SUV/SAV. But, I like the added traction on the 330xi and I plan to change to a Dinan sport suspension.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do you guys choose 330i/330Xi instead of X5???

At driving in the snow speeds, I don't see the higher CG being much of an issue. With the limited traction, it will slide long before it rolls (until it builds up enough packed snow on the sides of the wheels to flip it). The greater mass will definately increase braking distances though.
Yeah, the higher CG probably won't affect people driving at sane speeds in the snow but the overall height of the X5 would give you that body-roll feeling. Unfortunately a good deal of the SUV crowd thinks 4WD = invincibility and they drive the things too fast for the conditions. The big X5 WILL get blown around more in windy conditions.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
SUVs are stupid, dangerous, virtually useless machines, compared to their car counterparts.
Amen. Have you seen the recent study showing that SUV's are much more likely to inflict WAY more damage on other people in an accident while not providing any added safety to SUV occupants? SUV's are a menace, and it's not an exagation.

Also, the price difference between an X5 and a 3-series is pretty big.

X5: $39,545 - $67,518
3-Series: $28,495 - $43,595

I'm happy to see the wagon segment picking up.... A4 Avant, Jetta Wagon, Passat Wagon, 325xiT (BMW still doesn't offer a 330 wagon in the US, go figure), Volvo, etc.

--gary

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do you guys choose 330i/330Xi instead of X5???

ERK said:

Yeah, the higher CG probably won't affect people driving at sane speeds in the snow but the overall height of the X5 would give you that body-roll feeling. Unfortunately a good deal of the SUV crowd thinks 4WD = invincibility and they drive the things too fast for the conditions. The big X5 WILL get blown around more in windy conditions.
I laugh hysterically on the three or four occasions per year that we get any snow around here. The vehicles WAY off the road are almost always SUVs, their drivers obviously convinced that AWD plus 3 tons of mass somehow overrides the laws of physics.

Meanwhile I'm plodding along safely in my RWD BMW with summer tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dude, it sounds like you aren't too sure of what you want. First you order the 330, then have to cancel and go with the 325 but you and your wife can't agree on options, now you are talking about the X5??? I guess the only thing I can add is don't rush into a decision. It sounds like you guys need some time. Check out the competition. You may find something more to your liking overall. Good luck, I know it is a hard choice with all the good vehicles out there.

G

·
Nat Brown said:

SUV's are a menace, and it's not an exagation.

AMEN. There is just no other way to look at it.

And I will make an exception for the 0.5% who actually use their SUV for something that a car, wagon, or minivan would not be better suited for.

However the vast majority of SUVs could more accurately be called "minivans for the vain and insecure".

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Man, this is like one giant circle jerk that I have to join in...

My parents drives a 2wd '92 Pathfinder...Never, EVER have they used that SUV for hauling stuff they couldn't fit inside a medium sized sedan.

They're finally going to trade it in for a CAR. Go figure.

Funny thing is, I'm drivig it now and this past two days, the speedometer finally reached 80mph for the few times in its life. It's the most rediculous thing I've ever driven...Handles like crap, gets 18mpg if it's coming down on a long, steep decline, and the only time it ever spent off road was when my sister-in-law took it to Colorado for her research...

And I'm proud to say now that the Pathfinder has seen more "U" in the SUV than 99.9% of all the SUV out on the road, now that my in-law took it on her research trip.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
The HACK said:
Never, EVER have they used that SUV for hauling stuff they couldn't fit inside a medium sized sedan.
That is why I went from an SUV to a car. I realized that I rarely carried 4 people and gear at the same time. Saying that, since getting the xi I've had to borrow my dad's SUV twice...once to get me and 3 others and our ski gear to Whiteface Mt. and once to get me and 3 others and our golf clubs to the Cape.

·
10,856 Posts
ERK said:

Saying that, since getting the xi I've had to borrow my dad's SUV twice...once to get me and 3 others and our ski gear to Whiteface Mt. and once to get me and 3 others and our golf clubs to the Cape.
Should've bought a wagon. :tsk:

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
maransm said:
I already was debating to choose 325Xi or 330i from the other thread… I started thinking why not X5? Fully loaded 330i and Minimum loaded X5 costs same!!! Then why not X5? Any one thought about this? X5 thread is not active at all.
You aren't going to get anything here other than SUV bashing.

I'm not pro-SUVs, but I am pro-Euro SUV's (X5, Touareg/Cayenne, somewhat ML). Try the bimmer.org X5 board.

Here's my X5 pro/con list:

CONS:

*WEIGHT* - Enough Said

Higher Center of Gravity - ~1.5" higher which is not much for this class of vehicle

Poor Fuel Economy - Ideally it would be nice if the 3.0D or 4.0D's came to North America, then this would be a non-issue.

PROS:
Ride height- works great in metro roads that are clogged with tall Semi's, Minivans and other SUV's. It's kind of like the people in front of you standing up at a hockey game. You've got to stand up if you want to see anything, and pretty soon everyone is standing up. If everyone just sat down, then this wouldn't be an issue but thats not going to happen.

Sickening Resale - X5's resale values (around here) are unbelievable. Still waiting lists to get new ones.

Space - Space isn't great compared to other SUV's, but it still got much more than a E46 sedan, a little more than a E46 wagon and on par with a 540 wagon.

Performance - The 4.4 V8 has power to keep up with automatic equipped E46's. The 4.4 with sport pkg & 19" wheels will give surprising handling. The X5 wants to be driven, just like any other Bimmer. The X5 is all BMW in performance and is in it's own "SAV" class... a class that's about to be entered & dominated by the Cayenne's.

Crash protection - Unsurpassed in any vehicle class. Friendly to lower vehicles... will not override their bumpers.

Towing

NEUTRAL:

Snow performance - Requires snow tires. With snow tires, the added ride height does give you more mobility options when it really comes down. Weight is a liability here.

With that said, the 2003 X5's are getting ride adjustable air suspension and 6-speed steptronics. A facelift is coming in 2004, together with a V8 upgrade in the next few years.

- JP

1 - 20 of 50 Posts