BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can tell BMW forces you buy $5k:yikes: worth of options just get Apple CarPlay!
This includes the $2800 Premium Package; 2150 Convenience Package

All that just to have the privilege of handing over another $80/year for a subscription service.

FFS! Apple CarPlay is standard on a motherloving $13k Chevy Spark!

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,585 Posts
Just think of it as a BMW Car Tax :rofl:

Why not charge for something that free if you can get away with it? BTW my BMW does not have Car Play. Don't think its really needed.

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But why pay that 'tax" when there are so many great drivers cars on the market these days? The same could be said for keyless access. All of these things are standard on all of their competitors. This just strikes me as such low hanging fruit, that it's maddening that BMWNA marketing bean counters are so out of touch. 90% of whats in those package I have zero use for or interest in. Leveraging something like CarPlay to force me to shell out another $5-6k is just going to keep me buying the competition.

While I'd like to seriously consider the G20 for my next car come this summer, increasingly I get the feeling BMW just doesn't want me as a customer. Or at least they don't really give a sh!t if I'm a customer or not.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Moderators, please ban this guy. He keeps posting p0rn here. Just look at the pic above.

Kidding aside, Bear, what invaded your mind to put a damn TV in that beauty?!?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Because (most) BMW buyers don’t mind blowing $$. It may be also a marketing scheme that forces you to buy these packages? I’m kinda interested in getting a Volvo XC40 atm and even the “base” momentum trim has BOTH android auto and apple carplay included.

I do agree with you that Apple Car Play should be standard on a car that costs that much. I once drove a Hyundai Elantra rental car with Apple CarPlay and I liked using it. Unfortunately the BMW I have right now is too old to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,585 Posts
Moderators, please ban this guy. He keeps posting p0rn here. Just look at the pic above.

Kidding aside, Bear, what invaded your mind to put a damn TV in that beauty?!?
Its a bit noisy so its easier to see the maps then hear the directions.:thumbup:

Besides, it drives the purists nutz.

BTW Just more car p0rn - one of my Son In Laws has a 718 Boxster same color as your car. Great fun to drive, they live about a mile away so we trade for back moonshine road runs.

·
Registered
799 Posts
But why pay that 'tax" when there are so many great drivers cars on the market these days?
Exactly...and you got one of them....every time I replace my cars, one of the first brands I look into is BMW but in the end I always find something more appealing and with better value for the money IMHO....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Apple car play looked like crap the last time I saw it. Not sure why anyone would pay for it. Heck, I paid for the bmw navigation when I got the car and it is terrible! Honestly, I'll never update that again. Luckily I did not pay much for the update but still...

Luckily I have another iphone, so I put up a second car mount and use that iphone for navigation. Sometimes I'll run navigation on both phones.... waze on one and google maps on the other.

Benefit is I don't use my main phone for anything but music and talking... without having to toy with it for navigation. I only use this setup on long trips though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Most people want those packages. I'm sure BMW has calculated that they will get more money by forcing people to get these packages vs losing sales to another manufacturer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Exactly...and you got one of them....every time I replace my cars, one of the first brands I look into is BMW but in the end I always find something more appealing and with better value for the money IMHO....
And yet you've been posting on Bimmerfest for nearly 7 years for some strange reason... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
755 Posts
And the corollary to this thread's title is why does BMW continue to ignore Android phones??

I think something like 80% of the cell phones in the US are Android based

Oh well, guess that's why Bayer invented aspirin

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
And the corollary to this thread's title is why does BMW continue to ignore Android phones??

I think something like 80% of the cell phones in the US are Android based

Oh well, guess that's why Bayer invented aspirin
+1
Toyota finally joined the roster of automakers supporting Android Auto recently. That leaves BMW as the single, solitary OEM in the U.S. market that refuses to do so. :tsk:

Oh well, this is all a moot point for me anyway as I don't use a mobile phone or similar device while driving. :angel:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's simple. Because they can and people will continue to buy their cars.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
BTW Just more car p0rn - one of my Son In Laws has a 718 Boxster same color as your car. Great fun to drive, they live about a mile away so we trade for back moonshine road runs.

Well, what can I say ... man definitely has taste :D

Beautiful car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
BMW Continues to Ignore Android Phones, BUT....

A further kick in the pants to my previous post,

So BMW continues to ignore Android phones, BUT there is an interesting new feature on new G20s.

You get a BMW digital key card that you can use in lieu of the key fob -- and you can use your Android phone to read this key and open car & operate car with the phone

So, once again, go figure!

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,640 Posts
And yet you've been posting on Bimmerfest for nearly 7 years for some strange reason... :rolleyes:
It's almost like he's paid to troll, isn't it? Won't disclose where he's located or what he drives, just does the random drive-by to disparage the blau-mit-weiss.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
And the pleasure of having fanboys justify everything from declining residuals, rising money factors, numb steering feel, elimination of pull aheads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's absurd for BMW to charge a subscription fee for a service that's performed between your iPhone and software on your car using Bluetooth technology. There are no 3rd party resources, servers or people involved to be paid for performing a remote service. It's no different than BMW trying to charge you an annual fee for playing your music on your iPhone using the cars speakers or uploading your Contacts to iDrive using Bluetooth.

It's wrong, probably illegal and worthy of a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
It's absurd for BMW to charge a subscription fee for a service that's performed between your iPhone and software on your car using Bluetooth technology. There are no 3rd party resources, servers or people involved to be paid for performing a remote service. It's no different than BMW trying to charge you an annual fee for playing your music on your iPhone using the cars speakers or uploading your Contacts to iDrive using Bluetooth.

It's wrong and worthy of a class action lawsuit.
Hmmmn, and I was looking for a new business model. I just bailed on BMW and went to a competitor, but this is a pretty solid analogy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts