BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
newbie question. Attached image says all. What is so special about SA ? Everything being same should I pick a SA version or the Fatherland version ? thank you
Some say the quality level in SA is better than in the Fatherland, others want a German car from Germany... Some people may even have issues with SA for political reasons... If being from SA or Germany doesn't matter to you, pick the car that best suits your needs! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx Salvator. I am waiting for some real unbiased reviews on the F30 (like consumer reports) before deciding between f30 or a cpo e9x. So far all the rave reviews seem to be coming from people who like bmw in general like Autocar uk.. Nobody's comparing the e9x hpas steering with the f30 epas. Is it better (more precise, better feedback..). ? Is it the same as e9x ? Once the f30 arrives in feb and we test drive all will be revealed....

·
Registered
323 Posts
I hardly think of consumer reports as unbiased.
In what way do you consider them biased? They are the only major auto review publication that purchases their own vehicles and receives no compensation from automakers. While they may not always present the "enthusiast" perspective on road tests I tend to believe the quantitative data more then other sources, blogs included.

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
In what way do you consider them biased? They are the only major auto review publication that purchases their own vehicles and receives no compensation from automakers. While they may not always present the "enthusiast" perspective on road tests I tend to believe the quantitative data more then other sources, blogs included.
I trust CP to give me unbiased and useful information in regards to appliances but not cars.

For one they hold the HPFP/injector issues on the N54 335i against every 3-series regardless of their engine. That to me is total BS.

Their reliability info is also problematic because it comes from customer surveys and not actual tests or repair data.

They also have a perspective when it comes to cars that I don't particularly value. IMHO they don't place near enough importance on the driving experience.

At the end of the day they may have different biases than other sources, but have them nonetheless.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
For one they hold the HPFP/injector issues on the N54 335i against every 3-series regardless of their engine. That to me is total BS.
Consumer Reports recommends the 3 series as a new car, saying "most versions have average or better reliability, except for the335i."

CR also recommends several years of the E9x 328i and M3 as used cars. It has the '07-'10 335i on it's "Used cars to avoid" list.

How does that make them "hold the HPFP/injector issues on the N54 335i against every 3-series regardless of their engine"? They're quite specific about which version to avoid.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,099 Posts
I've been reading and using CR since 1977. I agree their opinion on cars in certain circumstances can be unreasonable and biased. They look at cars as appliances just like they look at washers and dryers. I take their opinions on cars with a healthy skepticism.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.