Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in_d_haus said:
Bimmer stoppers are pretty darn good, no they aren't Porsche but then you are not paying $80,000+ for them either.
They ARE decent, but they can be better. Case in point, Euro E46 M3 brakes. Why not Corvette-like brakes?

I always get a lot of fade. M5s have incredibly mushy pedals too :dunno:

·
Registered
12 Posts
4 piston brakes

They don't put 4 piston brakes on street cars because it limits the choice of wheels. If you look at a car like the M3 GTR it will have 10 in. wide wheels with very little dish because the calipers with pistons on both sides are so much wider than a floating caliper. You could not run the cheapest stock 16 in. wheels or the deep dish 17, 18 and 19 in. wheels that everyone likes with racing calipers.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:
I mean, come on? Why not 4 piston calipers with larger pads? Floating rotors? Cast drilled?

Although, it looks like the new 7 has large calipers, but not sure how many pistons https://www.nwca.com/kenn/se7en/se7en18_L.jpg

Ever see how small the M5 calipers are? :tsk:
GOOD QUESTION!!!

My last motocycle had six pistons with TWO floating cross-drilled rotors on the front wheel. Yeah a brake rotor on both sides of the wheel! The whole bike only cost 11K, so the brakes cannot be all that expensive.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Nate,

mffitz brought up a darn good point. Besides that, 4-pot calipers have higher manufacturing costs. I am sure Brembo will be glad to take over the OEM outsourcing, but that also means we will pay more.

I think even M5 have single-pot calipers right? E38 7er have 2-pot.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

I think even M5 have single-pot calipers right? E38 7er have 2-pot.
Yes it does. It needs larger calipers/pads. The rears are TINY and the pedal is mushy as hell.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it will cost more, but why not have better brakes as an option on non-M cars. Maybe part of a "Level 2" sports package?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Yes it does. It needs larger calipers/pads. The rears are TINY and the pedal is mushy as hell.
Have you ever looked at brakes on any other non-exotic car??

We have HUGE brakes, especially in the back.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kaz said:

Have you ever looked at brakes on any other non-exotic car??

We have HUGE brakes, especially in the back.
Maybe rotorwise, we do. Look at that tiny single-piston caliper on there.

How about larger calipers and more fade resistent units at that?

At a mininum, the M cars should have better brakes.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Pedal has nothing to do with the size of the calipers. Install stainless steal brakelines if you think they're mushy. It's the expanding rubber hose that makes the brake pedal feel mushy.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The HACK said:

Pedal has nothing to do with the size of the calipers. Install stainless steal brakelines if you think they're mushy. It's the expanding rubber hose that makes the brake pedal feel mushy.
I wasn't saying that it was, but the M5 does have a mushy pedal, that was just tacked on as another neeeded improvement.

My car does not have a mushy pedal...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
But still, compared to the competition, BMWs still have the best brakes. Saw a X5 4.6is today, and those disks are :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: . I can agree on the fade though, I could use less of that as well. The X5 3.0 loaner I'm driving now has pretty darn good brakes.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
KP said:
But still, compared to the competition, BMWs still have the best brakes. Saw a X5 4.6is today, and those disks are :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: . I can agree on the fade though, I could use less of that as well. The X5 3.0 loaner I'm driving now has pretty darn good brakes.
What about the CSL? ;) 18" disks... :thumb:

Hey Clyde, wanna try and put some 18's on the CSL? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I think those X5 4.6is rotors are 356mm. But still single-pot calipers. :(

KP said:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
I think those X5 4.6is rotors are 356mm. But still single-pot calipers. :(

:rolleyes:

Come on BMW :rolleyes:

That thing is more than 5000lbs with driver, those calipers will burn with hard use :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts