BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a kit out there that adds a "time out" to the E39 turn signal?

My turn signal cancels after a large-angle turn; but otherwise, after a full activation, the turnsignals remain blinking until manually cancelled (e.g., after a gradual lane change).

I ran a search here at Bimmerfest and found stuff about silver'd bulbs and turn signals that ratchet up the high beams, but nothing about adding a simple in-line time-out timer to the E39 turnsignals.

Is there an electrical 555 timer-like kit out there that adds a time out (say 20 seconds) to the turn signals on an E39?

 

Attachments

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
I've never heard of a timer for turn signals. Why do you think old people drive around with the signals on all the time?
 

·
Donkeybike?
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
My R1100S has self canceling (timed) turn signals... I'm sure you could get a signalminder and wire it into the turn signal relay.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
SergioK said:
My R1100S has self canceling (timed) turn signals... I'm sure you could get a signalminder and wire it into the turn signal relay.
What do you do if you're waiting at a long light? Do you have to reactivate it every 15secs? Cars usually use a mechanical return of the stalk (I have my stock E46 signal stalk in a box here) so I don't see how you could make the lever return to center, even if you found a way to shut the signaling circuit off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
shaftdrive said:
Is there an electrical 555 timer-like kit out there that adds a time out (say 20 seconds) to the turn signals on an E39?


It takes you 20 seconds to change lanes??:confused:
There are 2 positions on the turn signal stem. The first one is BEFORE the click and is designed for lane changes. Just hold it for 2-3 secs to give you 3-5 flashes for the lane change. The second position "clicks" in and is for making turns. This one turns off automatically at the end of the turn. <O:p
But I think you're really reaching a bit here (just as with pop-up trunk and a door-kick panel). If I were you, I would worry more about your temperature sensor which affects your auto climate controls and has a real impact on your driving comfort.:D <O:p

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href='\\\\"http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/bluebiggrin.gif\\\\"' src="file:///D:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
 

·
Donkeybike?
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
Kaz said:
What do you do if you're waiting at a long light? Do you have to reactivate it every 15secs? Cars usually use a mechanical return of the stalk (I have my stock E46 signal stalk in a box here) so I don't see how you could make the lever return to center, even if you found a way to shut the signaling circuit off.
I think it's connected to the neutral sensor (or speed sensor, never really checked) so when I'm at a light, it knows I'm stopped thus the timer 'disconnects' per se and it'll keep blinking indefinitely. :thumbup:
 

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you have to reactivate it every 15secs?
I quickly tested my BMW K1200RS motorcycle in the garage just now.
Not wishing to wake the kids for the sake of an experiment, this simplest-of-turnsignal-tests is with the engine off (ignition on).
This BMW motorcycle turn signal did NOT cancel when I left the steering untouched even after a minute or two (even with the transmission in first gear as indicated in the photo below).

Note: While riding, the motorcycle turn signal self cancels within twenty or so seconds after activation.

I would worry more about your temperature sensor which affects your auto climate controls
:) My ambient temperature sensor is on order from Pacific and should arrive when the backordered arm rest kit arrives. I don't yet understand whether the sensor actually does anything useful as the A/C & heater seem to be working (at -40 degrees indicated temperature). This reminds me of flying a private airplane, where you must understand precisely what the instrumentation is capable of telling you. :)
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,151 Posts
Kaz said:
I've never heard of a timer for turn signals. Why do you think old people drive around with the signals on all the time?
I just figured that they were driving around the world - to the left.

Probably trying to get back to Florida.

.
 

·
You Lick It, You Own It
Joined
·
14,417 Posts
OT, what kind of camera setting are you using? OMG, it's bright as hell for taking it in the dark!
 

·
Donkeybike?
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
shaftdrive said:
I don't yet understand whether the sensor actually does anything useful as the A/C & heater seem to be working (at -40 degrees indicated temperature).
As per what I understand regarding the IHKA, it uses outside & inside temp sensors to determine not only what the system must do in order to bring the interior to the desired temperature setting, but also how effecient the system is working. My mechanic explained this to me when he was in the diagnostic mode on our e36.
 

·
Is it Trackday yet?
Joined
·
8,975 Posts
SergioK said:
I think it's connected to the neutral sensor (or speed sensor, never really checked) so when I'm at a light, it knows I'm stopped thus the timer 'disconnects' per se and it'll keep blinking indefinitely. :thumbup:
Speed sensor, my Harley does the same thing. A buddy had a speedo problem and his auto-cancel did not work properly.

I wonder if shaftdrive has discovered the faulty cup holders yet? Certainly they are more of an issue than turn signals. :angel: If you want REAL turn signal issues, drive an E60. BMW has reinvented the turn signal stalk in that one!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
In Europe, they have the "3 blink flash" of the turn signals. In the new E60, you have the ability through I-drive to turn this off or on. I think it is a wonderful feature and I'm glad BMW allowed us to easily configure this if we wanted.

Now on our E39s, I know for a fact that one can get the "3 blink flash" to work but I am unsure of the details. I know that the computer needs to be told to turn this on but I don't know if the turn signal stalk needs modification or simply a different one.

In the E60, it has different positions that you feel as you move the stalk to let you know if you want the turn signal on forever (until you shut it off or you turn the steering wheel) or you want the quick 3-flash signal.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Now on our E39s, I know for a fact that one can get the "3 blink flash" to work but I am unsure of the details. I know that the computer needs to be told to turn this on but I don't know if the turn signal stalk needs modification or simply a different one.

In the E60, it has different positions that you feel as you move the stalk to let you know if you want the turn signal on forever (until you shut it off or you turn the steering wheel) or you want the quick 3-flash signal.
I think I've seen mention of this mod over on the Z forum some time ago.

I've tried the E60 setup, and It's sort of nice, though I don't like the fact that the stalk returns to center immediately. It never stays clicked in place.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
Kaz said:
I've tried the E60 setup, and It's sort of nice, though I don't like the fact that the stalk returns to center immediately. It never stays clicked in place.
Yeah, the turn signals on the E60 are different. They are a momentary contact type of connection. Go to the first point, and that is the 3-flash...go to the next point (maximum point if you will) and you have the turn signal on until shut off by you or by turning.

It takes some getting used to. I was forever pushing it too far and then shutting it off caused me to turn the other signal on! :)
 

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
chivas said:
OT, what kind of camera setting are you using? OMG, it's bright as hell for taking it in the dark!
I hand held the Nikon CoolPix 5700 to snap those shots at about 1/2 second at around F4, freezing & holding my breath to tap the shutter ever so slightly (moving just one finger like a poised sniper). Sometimes, I hiccup (see below).

For the record, I usually try to include a picture of the item discussed (even though it takes an order of magnitude longer than just typing) because I want to give YOU the full information. Many times you point out stuff I didn't even think about (but which the photo shows). I also try to visually highlight the important parts of the text (again, to help you help me and others) but without using any more colors or fonts or formatting than what is necessary. I also check visually my grammar & spelling (and am almost always open to criticism). Also, I generally remove the photo link after a few days (leaving the thumbnail) so that you can see the photos without having to run the extra step of clicking on the thumbnails ... but after a few days ... you don't have to see the big photo).

By the way, I try to put as MUCH as POSSIBLE into these posts hoping they can be a reference for others years down the road ... but I noticed only 10 or so "pages" of threads are kept here.

DOES BIMMERFEST save these posts indefinately (for others to benefit from); or is all this archival effort wasted after a few weeks or months?

 

Attachments

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
Joined
·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
jvr530i said:
I wonder if shaftdrive has discovered the faulty cup holders yet?
Yup. Having enjoyed Japanese machinery for years, I was as shocked to learn about the E39 cupholders as I was when I first tried to hang my helmet in the BMW K12 so-called "helmet lock". Both of these utterly useless contraptions make me really wonder what the heck these German engineers were smokin' on the day they designed these 'conveniences' into our vehicles.

I really think the German engineers must have a significantly perverse sense of humor that the Japanese just don't have the guts to expose to the North American continent. Either that, or the typical German customer might just be used to something much worse (or do they complain about the dismal cupholders in Germany too?).

Interestingly, I didn't research either of my BMWs before I bought them. But, they (the BMW, not the cupholders) kind'a grow on you (the German engines are actually decent & the suspension & handling are superb compared to their Japanese bretheren).

But, in keeping with adding to the general knowledge level of this BMW community, I feel compelled to report a heretofore hidden BMW remote-sensing-cupholder capability I wasn't previously aware of.

You see, every time my wife borrows my E39, this BMW-only remote-sensing cupholder-in-use dash indicator (which is in the shape of a cup in the holder) would tattle on her use of the driver-side front cupholder (see below). The German engineers felt this cupholder-in-use indicator was so important, they put it in the center of the dash display.

To BMW's credit, I've never seen this cupholder-in-use dashboard indicator on any of my Japanese luxury cars. :)
 

Attachments

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Um, can you possibly make your pics any bigger?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
Try to go no larger than 700 pixels wide. That will keep everything on the screen and no scrolling will be necessary.

Thanks! :)
 

·
Donkeybike?
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Try to go no larger than 700 pixels wide. That will keep everything on the screen and no scrolling will be necessary.

Thanks! :)
700 pixels? Who still runs an 800x600 display? Then again, I think 1024x768 is too small. I run all my computers at at least 1280x1024 :D
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top