BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I violated my restraining order against trying anything mechanical and attempted to put in an LED light in the front roof reading light area of my '07 328 four door. Now I can't get the plastic cover that surrounds the Assist and sunroof buttons to fully close. It just won't go back to the tight position it was in before I messed with it.

I'm bringing in the beast to my fave dealer Monday morning.

Any help before then would be much appreciated. I refuse to lie and say the repair should come under warranty.

:cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
it prolly just needs to be pushed a little harder!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pushing hard

Thanks....tried that. The problem now is there's a bulge in the roof. Kidding. I fear a little hook may have broken off.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
You could always claim the cover popped out when you hit a pothole. :rofl:

They certainly shouldn't charge you more than $10 for that repair, unless the cover has to be replaced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exciting Update

The glue is drying as I write. My experience underscores having and developing a good relationship with the service department at the dealer. The folks at Santa Maria BMW are fantastic!

Short story: SA had a real mechanic pull the whole unit out (replacement cost: $450); I did indeed break a small tab that holds the gray cover tightly on one end of the unit. Rather than replace the unit I am just glueing the one corner that 'hangs down.' See pics above.

There are two clips in the front end of the lights/sunroof/BMW Assist unit. You pull the unit down from the front end after releasing the clips with a mysterious tool (credit card).

There are four plugs for the various electronic gizmos. You can either glue the loose area while the unit hangs down or unplug the cables, glue the unit, then plug in the cables and replace the unit into the cavity.

If the sunroof (or, if it's late at night the moonroof) doesn't work, you just reset it by pushing upward (not back or forward) on the sunroof control button and holding it until the roof goes through a cycle.

Lesson learned: don't try DIY stuff unless 1) you are mechanically inclined, and 2) have and can use a Bentley manual and have the tools.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I violated my restraining order against trying anything mechanical and attempted to put in an LED light in the front roof reading light area of my '07 328 four door. Now I can't get the plastic cover that surrounds the Assist and sunroof buttons to fully close. It just won't go back to the tight position it was in before I messed with it.

I'm bringing in the beast to my fave dealer Monday morning.

Any help before then would be much appreciated. I refuse to lie and say the repair should come under warranty.

:cry:
If it sticks, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Seriously though, the 347 panels held on by 942 clips and 1248 screws is why I've given up working on my own cars. I'm fine with changing a fuel pump. I am not fine with the five thousand exasperatingly diverse fasteners I must remove to GET TO THE GODDAMMED THING!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts