BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing my homework for my next vehicle for more than 6 months. Having been driving BMWs (X5, 5 series, 3 Series) for the almost 20 years, I was determined to change it up a bit and go for a Porsche Macan. However, in the interim, I also test drove the new Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Gulia and Jaguar F-Pace. I liked the Gulia the best out of the 3 of them but I wanted something bigger than that. The Stelvio was OK but I felt the suspension to be a big too "bouncy" for my taste especially when driven in uneven pavements with many twists and turns. I loved the design/style/utility of the F-Pace but did not fall in love with the interior or the setup of the rather noisy but powerful 6 cylinder engine option. The diesel drove great with lots of torque at low rpm but the engine vibration when stopped at idle was not very welcomed.

This brings us to the Macan which was in my price range. I went back and forth in my mind with regard to which Macan and for how much. I test drove the base Macan twice and the GTS once. The GTS because I wanted to see how the air suspension worked and felt. Needless to say I fell in love with the GTS but not the base. Because the GTS was out of my price range, I started to look for CPO GTS but no such luck at my price range. Then I looked at the Macan S as CPO with AS and PASM but no such luck with this combination either (no such CPOs available) . I figured maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the base either new or CPO. Second time I drove the base, I felt the engine being a bit under powered and having to push the car to get the kind of performance/setup I was looking for. I didn't care either for all the buttons with the tiny status LEDs which were almost impossible to see in the sunlight. Probably not a huge issue in northern Europe where sunny days can be limited. All this while keeping in mind that a Macan refresh is coming either this year or next year alleviating some of these ergonomic issues. Perhaps a new interior ala the new Panamera.

Finally, since I have been a customer of my local BMW dealership for a long time, I decided to give the X4 as a CPO a try. I did not want another BMW sedan and I did not want to lease this time. This was an X4 CPO 2015 with 33k miles sporting the 6 cylinder turbocharged engine option with 300hp and the 8 speed automatic. I test drove this car and right away I felt a connection with this BMW and something clicked with this particular car's setup (engine/transmission). So, I pulled the trigger at $37k plus tax and so far have been very happy with my purchase! :)

·
BMWCCA '505245
1,354 Posts
Good you didn't test-drive the X4 M40i :p 355hp/343tq

·
BMWCCA '505245
1,354 Posts
I test drove a used 18 M40i and loved the exhaust note and gurgle, but the ride was firmer and not as comfortable as the 15 X4 35 I drove.

I'm on the look out for a CPO'd 15 X4 35i w/ M sport.
I might have something for you ;-)

Yup! My checkbook is also glad I did not test drive the X4 M40i :) However, the refresh is coming soon...
The refreshment unfortunately will not sell as well as F26 will in my opinion as the G02 rear looks horrid!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.