BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm tearing up and down the streets of our fair city (Atlanta... with apologies to Boston) I've really come to realize why a relatively speedy car can be an accident risk on the roads.

And it's not because of me driving like a bat out of hell.

Now with a BMW, you've got great handling and great brakes, and you're probably driving with all eyes and ears.
So lets assume that we don't screw up and hit anything or anyone ourselves.

The problem when you are doing some ungodly speed on a road where most people are ambling is that these other people don't expect you to be where you end up.

At time A, some dude looks in his mirrors and sees some bimmer coming up behind him at some distance. He's not expecting that at time B, in 3 seconds, that same bimmer is either along side him or, even worse, in his blind spot. So he'll do a lane change right into me.

This is what worries me most. These cars we drive enable us to be where nobody expects us to be and someone's gonna get wacked.

-CMOS

·
10,856 Posts
People are constantly doing that to me, and I don't even drive fast. :p

It's really just a matter of keeping an eye out and staying ready with the brakes/accelerator. And hitting the right pedal in a crunch. Slamming on the brakes is NOT always the best way out.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
When I'm driving I always asume the other driver is a idiot... not paying attention, driving slow in the fast lane, will not use their turn signals, tailgating, talking on the cell phone, yelling at their braty kids, drive through red lights, or cut other drivers off.

G

·
What worries me is what will happen to the invariable tailgater when I have to slam on the brakes to avoid something. Even when I'm travelling a bit fast, there is always someone on my ass (who does NOT have the same caliber of brakes I do). I try to let them pass, but they obviously want me to "shield" them and run cover. So they won't pass. When I get bored and pull out again, they are right back up on my ass.

This happens daily.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
How about just not going as fast as on city streets?

What you're doing isn't safe. Also, think potholes. My friend popped both right tires on his E36 last night from hitting one too fast, hopefully there is no suspension damage...

·
5,820 Posts
Artslinger said:
When I'm driving I always asume the other driver is a idiot... not paying attention, driving slow in the fast lane, will not use their turn signals, tailgating, talking on the cell phone, yelling at their braty kids, drive through red lights, or cut other drivers off.
That's called defensive driving.:thumbup:

·
Exit Flagger
288 Posts
TD said:
What worries me is what will happen to the invariable tailgater when I have to slam on the brakes to avoid something. Even when I'm travelling a bit fast, there is always someone on my ass (who does NOT have the same caliber of brakes I do). I try to let them pass, but they obviously want me to "shield" them and run cover. So they won't pass. When I get bored and pull out again, they are right back up on my ass.

This happens daily.
The brakes are amazing........even though the E46'S are heavy my car still stops on a dime......tailgaters are imfamous on the "expressways" of Chicago.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
What you described reminded me of what I saw this morning.

A Supra Turbo was right in back of a Hyundia Accent. Both had their turn signals on and were trying to change lanes to get on an offramp in traffic. The Supra lost patience with the Accent, got onto the offramp and flew past the Accent on the right.

The guy in the Accent was obviously shocked that something could fly past him that quickly and almost caused an accident by swerving to avoid the Supra. :tsk:

I pretty much saw it coming and stayed out of the way. :eeps:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious...What did he end up doing with the car? I assume he had to arrange for some flatbed to come out and cart him away?

nate328Ci said:

What you're doing isn't safe. Also, think potholes. My friend popped both right tires on his E36 last night from hitting one too fast, hopefully there is no suspension damage...

·
Registered
294 Posts
TD said:

This happens daily.
Yeah, what IS that, anyway? Happens to me all the time. I see them coming behind me and move over to give them plenty of space to pull ahead. Invariably, they just keep putzing along and don't pass. Weird. :tsk:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CMOS said:
Just curious...What did he end up doing with the car? I assume he had to arrange for some flatbed to come out and cart him away?

I dunno

I think they are putting new tires on it today, but I haven't talked to him since.

·
Registered
513 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Potholes? What are those? I drive on the west coast, not the gulf coast! ;) :D

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
People are constantly doing that to me, and I don't even drive fast. :p

It's really just a matter of keeping an eye out and staying ready with the brakes/accelerator. And hitting the right pedal in a crunch. Slamming on the brakes is NOT always the best way out.
Yea I always tell my friends that if I'm about to get into an accident, I'll probably just hit the gas and get there faster :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts