BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everytime I accelerate when red turns to green, if I push the gas slowly, the car moves really slow, I mean, any car is faster than me, for example, a 2007 civic is faster than me. But if I hit the gas hard, in a way that I hit the accelarator quick down to 40%, this car is fast. I just bought the car and I am not sure if it is how this car act. Any opinion would be appreciated, thank you.

To prevent you guys from misunderstanding, this car does accelerate fast, if I floor it, it runs like a beast, it just acts weird(slow) when I push the gas down slowly when the car is in stop.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Prior owner may have been VERY conservative when driving and the computer remembers that. There is a thread somewhere on this site that shows how to reset perameters for throttle position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prior owner may have been VERY conservative when driving and the computer remembers that. There is a thread somewhere on this site that shows how to reset perameters for throttle position.
Thank you for your reply, I did look at the thread, and I reset the transmission, it doesn't really help at all though.

Also, when I was doing the research, I found that the transmission relearn our driving habit everytime we start the car, so should I assume we should never worry about this?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Are there any error messages, or check engine lights? The throttle position sensor may have an issue, but I'd think it would throw a code.

The learning on the transmission takes a little time, but you should notice a slight difference initially.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any error messages, or check engine lights? The throttle position sensor may have an issue, but I'd think it would throw a code.

The learning on the transmission takes a little time, but you should notice a slight difference initially.
No light is on, and I plug the computer to the car, no error is shown. I have been driving this car for a while, and I see no difference though. Sad!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Engines are no longer designed for low end torque, but a continues power build up which is why you see 7-8-9 speed trannys. A 4 speed auto with lock-up converter would be a total dog for any type of accell, you need all those gears just like a bicycle to keep engine in meat of torque area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engines are no longer designed for low end torque, but a continues power build up which is why you see 7-8-9 speed trannys. A 4 speed auto with lock-up converter would be a total dog for any type of accell, you need all those gears just like a bicycle to keep engine in meat of torque area.
Thank you for your answer, I think it does make sense. I wanna know does all F07 act like that? I mean slower than any other car, not even it is slow, but it does drain a lot of gasoline in such a low power. I was driving a Hyundai Elantra, at low end torque, this car for me is a beast compare to my F07, I mean, not fair:cry:. I did a test last night, it outputs only around 15-25 HP when I push the accelerator. Is this really normal?? It does freak me out though.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
FWIW, the GT is a pretty heavy car, so power to weight ratio may be a factor when comparing it to your other car. I haven't noticed mine to be particularly slow, but it is different from my i3, which has maximum torque at standstill.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Trans will shift very early in normal mode. You can either move shifter to manual shift, or put it in sport mode. I like manual shift so I can get rpms near redline sometimes to exercise the pistons to their fullest reach.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine is very fast off the line. The twin scroll turbo design delivers excellent horsepower and torque from about 1,400 rpm and up. There is little to no turbo lag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is very fast off the line. The twin scroll turbo design delivers excellent horsepower and torque from about 1,400 rpm and up. There is little to no turbo lag.
That's a good info I can get, thank you! Mine is consider fast if I push the gas quick, it would be slow if I slowly push it. Does it happen to you or it is just me?

·
Registered
272 Posts
S.S. is correct, these smaller turbos spool up much faster than the 1st Gen Turbos back in the 80s that were huge and took a lot of air volume to spin them fast enough to create the 6-7 lbs of pressure required to give you that "kick in the pants" feel.

·
got something nicer?
417 Posts
Unless you're in Sport, I always had a minor beef about the throttle response. Even in Sport, I found the throttle mapping was much better going from 40-65 than through the lower gears. That said, once you get into the pedal, it can really get away from you if you're not careful. I don't remember the torque curves but it's not the "torque-iest" car I've ever driven but it's not slow by any stretch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts