BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just don't get it! I have a new MKIV computer with a new 02/2004 NAV DVD disc and it keeps giving me wrong directions every one out of three times. Then it figures out where I am and tells me to make a legal U turn half the time! WTF is going on?? ANyone else have similar problems? :mad:

·
Member of the ® club
1,280 Posts
In the top right corner of the nav screen should be a small box with a corner of a globe surrounded by space. In that space are there any green dots? If so, those are indicators of the satelites that the system is picking up signals from. If not, you aren't getting a good GPS signal.

You can look at certain hidden menus that will tell you things like the county settings for your system, etc. by following these steps - http://x5world.net/nav_volume.htm

There is also a hidden menu that will give you the readings from your wheel sensors, but I can't put my hands on it right now.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
King said:
Just don't get it! I have a new MKIV computer with a new 02/2004 NAV DVD disc and it keeps giving me wrong directions every one out of three times. Then it figures out where I am and tells me to make a legal U turn half the time! WTF is going on?? :mad:
It could be one of a number of things. First, are the directions it is giving you correct, just really dumb (can you get where you're going with the directions)? If so, you're just running into the computer's idea of "optimal routing" - if you ask for "shortest distance" routing, it will give you the shortest route, even if there are lots of turns and minor roads.

Next, make sure you have good satellite signal - go to the "Settings" screen and press and hold the "Menu" button until you get into diagnostic mode. Then select GPS / GPS Status and see a screen similar to this one:

If you don't have a known position (3D/7 in the above image, could also be any other number or 2D/number) then you aren't getting a good GPS signal and your NAV is working off the inertial guidance, where errors will accumulate and it will eventually think you're on the wrong road. Once you correct the GPS problem, things should settle down.

Lastly, if you're in an area with road construction, it can get confused. Going up to the Bavarian Show & Shine last weekend, I was on the interstate where bridge construction moved my lane onto the other side of the highway. The NAV decided I was on a local road parallel to the interstate and said "in 100 feet, turn right at the traffic circle" which was rather confusing...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Terry or Alex can probably give me an answer on this one

The Telematics setting located under the Set - hold menu button configuration

Contains SMS setting details

how and when do you get to use these

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:mad: Okay, 90% of the time, I do NOT see the small globe in the corner (with the satellites.) Also I am unable to get into the diagnostic menu. Tried to hold down the menu button under settings, but it doesn't work. Perhaps because I got it coded? I installed the GPS antenna under the rear spoiler and all parts are brand new including my MKIV computer. WTF??? :mad:

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you don't see the GPS globe symbol on the upper right of your screen, you are not receiving the signals. That would explain why your GPS is not giving you correct directions. I do experience this condition (wrong directions) when traveling thorugh tunnels.

I would suggest that you check your signal source, starting with the antenna. Check all the cables and every single connector. GPS signals are extremely weak. Hope this helps.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
King said:
:mad: Okay, 90% of the time, I do NOT see the small globe in the corner (with the satellites.) Also I am unable to get into the diagnostic menu. Tried to hold down the menu button under settings, but it doesn't work. Perhaps because I got it coded? I installed the GPS antenna under the rear spoiler and all parts are brand new including my MKIV computer. WTF??? :mad:
It should work. Go into the "Settings" menu (where you can set the clock, etc.) and press and hold the Menu button until the system goes into diagnostic mode. I think there are actually two switches under the Menu button (like the < > button), so just push and hold on the right side if you have problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts