BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a 330i Sport now and love this car, but with a little baby and maybe more on the way in the near future, I need a larger mid-size sedan like the 5 series.

I am very excited about the upgraded / new 6 Cylinder enginer with it's new enhancements and the additional HP. The current 6 cylinder is great, but the new one is only going to be better.

You can even put your order in now for March / April production to be delivered at the end of May / beginning of June time frame (xi's to be a little later).

I love the 530i with the Sports Package!

Is anyone one on here getting the 2006 530i / 530xi or already have one on order and as excited as I am (especially if you were finally waiting for an AWD version for the 5 series?)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I might consider getting one with manual tranny but I need to test drive it first. It should be a little rocket and I think a great alternative to my 545 automatic.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MARCUS545 said:
I might consider getting one with manual tranny but I need to test drive it first. It should be a little rocket and I think a great alternative to my 545 automatic.
Hey if I had a 545 already, I wouldn't need a 2006 530i.

You can't be thinking about replacing your 545 with a 530 right? Maybe you thinking about adding it to your collection or for the wife?

I too expect the 530i (although not a 545) to be like a rocket!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
a. no wife
b. I was thinking about getting back to a manual trans. and the new 255hp 6 might be plenty of power for a manual trans.
c. my 545 is fast but the transmission (steptronic) is kind of weird and not as smooth as I like...I'm really frustrated with it. My 2001 330i/auto was MUCH smoother

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MARCUS545 said:
a. no wife
b. I was thinking about getting back to a manual trans. and the new 255hp 6 might be plenty of power for a manual trans.
c. my 545 is fast but the transmission (steptronic) is kind of weird and not as smooth as I like...I'm really frustrated with it. My 2001 330i/auto was MUCH smoother
The new 6 Cylinder with 255HP is every enticing. I enjoy the current 225 HP version, but it would be even better with this additional HP and enhancemnts. I can't wait to drive one.

I would still love a 545 with all that power, but it's expensive and I may not need all that power. My brother has a 545 and says it's awesome, but he does complain about the hesistation or lurch when at idle or accelerating, which has come up with other 545 owners, but this may not be your case.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stylinexpat said:
Everyone is excited about the new Lexus IS350 and possible a IS 430... Those two cars will do quite well in sales

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_geneva/lexus_is/pages/1.htm
The IS revamp is nice (I too am a Lexus owner - 05 GX470), however it's too small for me that is why the 5 Series or the new Lexus GS is what I am looking at.

These days it's good to be the consumer, since there are so many great choices for us out there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
MARCUS545 said:
a. no wife
plus you save money at the pumps.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
2006 530i

I'm thinking about stepping up to a 5 series, so I am very interested in driving the new motor. My guess: little difference in the driveability of the new motor because HP at the lower RPMs will be little different from the 225 hp motor and the torque is almost the same. HP hype will probably impact sales. 0-60 times differences - old motor vs new motor will probably be minimal. I am concerned about the driveability of the run flat tires which will be standard on the new motor - noise and harshness??? There may be good reasons to find a used 530i, but, I will reserve final judgement till I drive the new car - and the new 3 series. Just my .02.

Jim

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Nothing against the E60/61 530i/530d/530xi, but after driving the 535dA Touring, I am excited to hopefully have a chance to drive a 545i Touring.

And extremely frightened at the same time. :eek:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
abqhudson said:
I'm thinking about stepping up to a 5 series, so I am very interested in driving the new motor. My guess: little difference in the driveability of the new motor because HP at the lower RPMs will be little different from the 225 hp motor and the torque is almost the same. HP hype will probably impact sales. 0-60 times differences - old motor vs new motor will probably be minimal. I am concerned about the driveability of the run flat tires which will be standard on the new motor - noise and harshness??? There may be good reasons to find a used 530i, but, I will reserve final judgement till I drive the new car - and the new 3 series. Just my .02.

Jim
There is no reason to get a used old gen 530i, if you can get the latest 530i. If you like the exterior of the current 5 series, than it's a no brainer, get the new one. There are still people that don't like the new 5 series exterior, but it'll grow on you. I already have a 2001 530i and it looks very outdated already compared to the current 5 series.

·
Sport Rules
227 Posts
MARCUS545 said:
Boy, did they totally rip-off the Bangle E60 design on this one or what???
Actually, the boys over at Acura TL's forum say they ripped off the TL :rofl:

Only reason I am not excited about AWD is how it looks on the outside, but it is growing on me, maybe by the refresh I'll have gotten used to it. The 525 with the 16" wheels just does not fit the image of the car.

·
F87 on the way!
1,610 Posts
I really don't have a problem with the exterior of the E60. It's the inside that bugs me to no end. I just don't like it. That's where I spend most of the time with the car so that's where it's most important to me.

So I'll do one more E39 (although this time dressed in ///M) and try to maybe catch an '06 E60 M5 when they start to come off lease. By then I'll be over the interior probably. I could probably put up with any interior for 500hp and a 7spd SMG :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
TXE39 said:
I really don't have a problem with the exterior of the E60. It's the inside that bugs me to no end. I just don't like it. That's where I spend most of the time with the car so that's where it's most important to me.

So I'll do one more E39 (although this time dressed in ///M) and try to maybe catch an '06 E60 M5 when they start to come off lease. By then I'll be over the interior probably. I could probably put up with any interior for 500hp and a 7spd SMG :thumbup:
I have a black interior on my E60 and I think it softens the dramatic design elements in the dash that turn some people off. With a beige interior, for example, the flatness and "wave" in the dash are accentuated and if you don't like it it looks REALLY bad. The other reason many don't like the interior is the flatness and central position of the I-Drive screen. BMW had to decide if the front passenger was going to have equal access to the I-drive and therefore went with the "flat-centered" design. I think it makes some sense to let the passenger enter navigation information rather than the driver given the "driver distraction" potential. The screen needs to be high up so the driver's eyes are moving the shortest distance from the road ahead. I think there's more to the E60 interior than artistic abandon....there are some practical considerations engineered into it.

·
F87 on the way!
1,610 Posts
MARCUS545 said:
I have a black interior on my E60 and I think it softens the dramatic design elements in the dash that turn some people off. With a beige interior, for example, the flatness and "wave" in the dash are accentuated and if you don't like it it looks REALLY bad. The other reason many don't like the interior is the flatness and central position of the I-Drive screen. BMW had to decide if the front passenger was going to have equal access to the I-drive and therefore went with the "flat-centered" design. I think it makes some sense to let the passenger enter navigation information rather than the driver given the "driver distraction" potential. The screen needs to be high up so the driver's eyes are moving the shortest distance from the road ahead. I think there's more to the E60 interior than artistic abandon....there are some practical considerations engineered into it.
I guess I've only seen light colored interiors so far. I typically only buy black interior so I'll be sure to think about it the next time I'm at the dealer and look for one. Most likely no matter how I feel about it now I'll be able to handle it in an M5.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
rumratt said:
Because it's uglier than a monkey's ass?

My favorite quote is still, "It looks like an E39 that was pushed through a sphincter."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
228 Posts
rumratt said:
Because it's uglier than a monkey's ass?

My favorite quote is still, "It looks like an E39 that was pushed through a sphincter."
Agreed.
Looks like a "refined" pontiac!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts