BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
John Demetre said:
How are they similar??? Take a look at both side by side and tell me they are not similar. They look very much alike. True, the G35 sells alot more than the 330i, but the 330i is about $10,000 more. It's just not in my area where their not selling, it is across the country. Infiniti had a goal to sell 8,000 the first 2 months when demand was going to be highest. They ended up a little over 5,600. Not pretty numbers. Again the troubles the car is having is well known in the auto community. It's got to be the interior!

2002 Infiniti G35
Options Selected
Premium Package
Sport-Tuned Suspension Package
Destination Charge
=========
$33,120

2002 BMW 330i
Options Selected
Premium Package
Sport Package
Destination Charge
==========
$38,735

Difference: $5615 (with European Delivery it's more like $1000)

--gary

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Emission said:

Actually, I've drive two different G35's. The first was a dealer demo with about 1000 miles on it. The other was brand-new (12 miles). Neither felt faster than my 330i 5-speed.

Production tolerances are all over the map. Maybe your 330i is a 'slow' one?
Could be. Or maybe the 2 G's you drove were 'slow' ones. Or maybe the salesman didn't let you get on it like mine did.

In any event, do I owe you dollars or donuts?

And besides, not even the G35 (with it infamous Japanese hp/torque) is as quick as your Porsche.

:lmao:

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Altima and G35 are made by the same company, Civic and 3 series are not. The Civic and 3 series look alike??? When did you say that cateract operation was taking place? The average G35 on the lot at Baker is $31,000. Average 330i on the lot is $39,000. Just face it the G35 has flopped so far. Down 30% from it's target. Maybe it can improve, but not with that interior!

·
Registered
590 Posts
John Demetre said:
The Altima and G35 are made by the same company, Civic and 3 series are not. The Civic and 3 series look alike??? When did you say that cateract operation was taking place? The average G35 on the lot at Baker is $31,000. Average 330i on the lot is $39,000. Just face it the G35 has flopped so far. Down 30% from it's target. Maybe it can improve, but not with that interior!
The Civic and E46 do look very similar from behind. It kept me from considering a 3-series for quite a while.

As for the G35, it reminds me of the Cadillac CTS -- extremely good in several areas but missing completely in a couple important ones. A few tweaks here and there and I'm hoping both Cadillac and Infiniti work out their issues.

--gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
The G35 is a GREAT car...

As a current J30 driver, I was excited to see the G35 hit the market right when I started looking for a replacement. I have had a great experience with my J30, and looked forward to driving the G35. I drove it twice, and won't bore you with the details, but I really enjoyed it. IMHO, the G35 is an outstanding car all around. Unlike others, I felt the interior was quite nice...typical Infiniti.

The G35 is not a BMW...not even close. Dimensions and horsepower do not make a car, handling does. It's what some people call "soul." I also drove a 325, 330, 525, and 530. In terms of "soul," the G35 is closest to the 325. Yeah, sure, it's faster, but it lacks much elsewhere. I might be tempted to rank them (least preferred to most preferred) like this:

- 325 (least)
- G35
- 530 (most)

If I were considering a 325, I'd rather get the G35 (it is a great value, which the 325 is not). The G35 will sell very nicely. In particular, I think current J30 owners will buy G35's in droves, and there are a lot of J30's on the road. I also think that many 325 propective customers will opt for the G35 (just for value's sake). The G35 is not a threat to the 5-series...no way. Whoever says they should be compared hasn't spent any time driving them both. Just MNSHO. BTW, I have a 530i on order to replace my J30.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Terrorist, as scared as I am of your name, you are a very well-spoken individual, and bring up very valid points.

Welcome to the 'Fest! :thumb:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
hts said:

Could be. Or maybe the 2 G's you drove were 'slow' ones. Or maybe the salesman didn't let you get on it like mine did.

In any event, do I owe you dollars or donuts?

And besides, not even the G35 (with it infamous Japanese hp/torque) is as quick as your Porsche.

:lmao:

We'll do donuts next time I am in Herndon, my little brother lives there!

Right now, a Metro is faster than my Porsche! I blew out an intercooler O-ring and the car is out of commission waiting for parts.... I miss my 330i today....

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Emission said:

We'll do donuts next time I am in Herndon, my little brother lives there!

Right now, a Metro is faster than my Porsche! I blew out an intercooler O-ring and the car is out of commission waiting for parts.... I miss my 330i today....
Sounds like a plan! As many of the board members know (from my sig picture), I'm an expert on the fine art of donuts in the Reston/Herndon area. Hell, all the counter girls know me by name, "Good morning Harrison. Will you be having your usual this morning?"

:thumb:

Sorry to hear about your O-ring. Isn't that a part Porsche stole from the space shuttle?

:D

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Emission said:
I suspect you haven't driven an E39. My dad just traded-in his 1999 E39 540i-6 for a 2002 E39 540i-6. It has even more horsepower (290 vs. 282) and torque (324 vs. 310) than his last car could pull from the 4.4 liter V8.

The chassis is rock-solid, and the car car is amazingly quiet on the freeway. Safety-wise, it is an armored car (if you had to sit in the seat during a crash test - you'd really rather sit in the G35?). It is rocket-fast, with gobs of torque. I'd argue it is the best car in the world right now if you had to pick one car to do everything!

The G35 is light, cheap feeling, and the chassis isn't nearly as safe. Drive both, and you will understand why I'd take an E39 525i over the G35 (as would most on this Board).
:hi: Emission, guess you spoke a little too soon, eh? :p

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dodge Magnum

You'll probably laugh at me, but I'm selling my 330i for the new Dodge Magnum. I've had the 540i and I was thinking about getting a newer one (2002) later this year for the great power and luxury. However, the build quality of BMW, high prices and obscene service rates are not something I can live with long-term. The Magnum RT has 340HP, 390 ft/lb of torque, a 0-60 at around 6 seconds, Chrysler car reliability (which approaches Honda Accord and Toyota Camry), all for $35k.

Oh yeah, it's got the Mercedes E-class 5-speed automatic, Mercedes sterring, Mercedes suspension, Mercedes seats, a good amount of Mercedes electronics, and Continental tires.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Nat Brown said:
You'll probably laugh at me, but I'm selling my 330i for the new Dodge Magnum. I've had the 540i and I was thinking about getting a newer one (2002) later this year for the great power and luxury. However, the build quality of BMW, high prices and obscene service rates are not something I can live with long-term. The Magnum RT has 340HP, 390 ft/lb of torque, a 0-60 at around 6 seconds, Chrysler car reliability (which approaches Honda Accord and Toyota Camry), all for $35k.

Oh yeah, it's got the Mercedes E-class 5-speed automatic, Mercedes sterring, Mercedes suspension, Mercedes seats, a good amount of Mercedes electronics, and Continental tires.
Ooh... Looks nice.

BTW, Chrysler reliability? Are they known for their reliability? :dunno: :confused:

·
Registered
590 Posts
It didn't used to be the case, but the current crop of Chrysler cars all have stellar reliability ratings from Consumer Reports, often as good as the top Japanese cars. We're talking cars, not their trucks.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Nat Brown said:
It didn't used to be the case, but the current crop of Chrysler cars all have stellar reliability ratings from Consumer Reports, often as good as the top Japanese cars. We're talking cars, not their trucks.
I don't think Chrysler has any trucks.

Oh, you're lumping Chrysler and Dodge together... I see now.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman...

Mike... you still agree with this??

Emission said:
I suspect you haven't driven an E39. My dad just traded-in his 1999 E39 540i-6 for a 2002 E39 540i-6. It has even more horsepower (290 vs. 282) and torque (324 vs. 310) than his last car could pull from the 4.4 liter V8.

The chassis is rock-solid, and the car car is amazingly quiet on the freeway. Safety-wise, it is an armored car (if you had to sit in the seat during a crash test - you'd really rather sit in the G35?). It is rocket-fast, with gobs of torque. I'd argue it is the best car in the world right now if you had to pick one car to do everything!

The G35 is light, cheap feeling, and the chassis isn't nearly as safe. Drive both, and you will understand why I'd take an E39 525i over the G35 (as would most on this Board).

·
Registered
672 Posts
jastevenson said:
The price is different, but the two cars are more directly comparable to each other than the 3 / G35. The 5er and G are more similar in:
Wheelbase
Interior room
Exterior size
HP / Torque
(soon) Availability ofa 6 speed manual

I suspect the car mags are reluctant to do so b/c they know the G would trounce the 5er. Sure, the 5 has a good chassis, but it's an old design with old styling, poor packaging, poor interior (I think the 5er interior is incredibly dated, much as the E36 3er interior was), the world's worst base stereo, a weaker engine, and fewer safety features than the G. And the G handles better to boot (if the 3 outhandles the 5, so does the G35).

Refusing to compare the two is like not comparing a Boxster to an S2000 b/c the S2k is cheaper.
Not sure why you would ask that question since the E39 hasn't been in production since July of last year :dunno: Let me ask this ...how do you think the new five compares to the G35

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
gr8330 said:
Not sure why you would ask that question since the E39 hasn't been in production since July of last year :dunno: Let me ask this ...how do you think the new five compares to the G35
If you check the date, the OP was back in 2002...

I just resurrected this because I wanted to point out that we should all look before we say we won't leap... :p ;)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Emission said:

I wrote this on 5-11-2002 when I had just sold my 330i. Little did I know I'd buy a G35 only 20 months later!

I still agree 98% with my comments from nearly two years ago. The E39 525i is a better chassis and has better driving dynamics than the G35.

For the money ($30,000), I love the G35. I'd take it over an E46 325i, but not over an E46 330i. It isn't as nice as any new 5-series. It doesn't drive, ride, or handle like a BMW. You can tell a difference immediately.

Now that I own one, I don't think it feels "cheap" inside (going back on my original comments) - but I don't feel as safe as I do when I drive/ride in a BMW.

You need to drive a G35 for an extended period to really decide. I like mine, and I'll keep it for another three years.

·
Registered
672 Posts
my bad...didn't look that hard before posting. I own an e39 and love the way it drives, power wise it is lacking. I will admit that I have looked at the g35 coupe but not driven it yet maybe I'm afraid I might like it :dunno:

·
Registered
672 Posts
hijack

just a quick one please......emission every time I see your 964 in your sig I get the.... wants...

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
gr8330 said:
just a quick one please......emission every time I see your 964 in your sig I get the.... wants...
964? :confused:

21 - 40 of 59 Posts