BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
swchang said:
Ah, thanks. So wouldn't it be a 911, not a 964? 964, according to that site, started in '89.
Yes, it is a 911.

Technically, however, it is a 930. Because it is a turbo, many of the parts are very different from a normal 911, so Porsche decided to give it another designation. The VIN number has a "930" in place of the "911" - so it's a 930 officially.

The 964 (oil-cooled) is a newer chassis, followed by the 993 in 1995 (oil-cooled) and 996 in 1999 (water-cooled). All are still known as "911's" to the public.

·
Registered
672 Posts
2003 BMW X5 3.0 (Steptronic)
2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan (6-Speed)
1986 Porsche 911 Turbo (4-speed)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really need to pay more attention before I post

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
gr8330 said:
Rumrat :thumbup: thanks for defining my mistake...but I still want one. Actually I do want a 964 93 or 94 model year. The 95 on up is nice but to me I prefer the 93 or 94.
I wouldn't call it a mistake. Seasoned Porsche nuts can't get it right - much like the difference between the E30, E36, E46, etc... It is all very confusing.

A '93 964 C2 Cabriolet was the first Porsche I ever drove. I fell in love that day.

Good news for you. The chassis you like, the 964, is the least desired "911" design by Porsche enthusiasts. For some reason, the 964 C2 and 964 C4 tend to have mechanical issues and are much harder to work on than the 911 before them or 993 that followed them. They are very nice mid-5 second cars, just not that popular.

You can find a very nice example of a '93 or '94 964 for about $25,000.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Nat Brown said:
You'll probably laugh at me, but I'm selling my 330i for the new Dodge Magnum. I've had the 540i and I was thinking about getting a newer one (2002) later this year for the great power and luxury. However, the build quality of BMW, high prices and obscene service rates are not something I can live with long-term. The Magnum RT has 340HP, 390 ft/lb of torque, a 0-60 at around 6 seconds, Chrysler car reliability (which approaches Honda Accord and Toyota Camry), all for $35k.

Oh yeah, it's got the Mercedes E-class 5-speed automatic, Mercedes sterring, Mercedes suspension, Mercedes seats, a good amount of Mercedes electronics, and Continental tires.
I wouldn't count the Continental tires as a bonus, they are the worst tires I have ever had mounted to a car... :thumbdwn: :p :angel:

The Magnum is tempting. I too am becoming disenchanted with the high service expense of BMW ownership (though it is getting better now that I live in an area with independant shops) and my E46 sedan is not very practical for me any more.

The only thing that keeps me from really liking the Magnum is the auto. I may be a dad who needs a bigger car, but I'm not dead, and I haven't put myself out to pasture. I still want to have fun in the family mobile. I WANT MY STICK! I'm sure that the Merc auto is nice, but the side to side motion of the "step" mode (or what ever Mercedes calls it) to me is really anoying and an unatural shift motion. If I am going to shift my manual tranny, I prefer a forward and back motion.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Interesting. I love the Continentals on my 330i (which I sold yesterday), mostly because they're quiet compared to other z-rated tires I've seen reviewed. The Magnum also comes with Goodyears. Unfortunatley I'll probably be getting run-flat tires on the Magnum. It's part of the "security" package that includes addiitonal airbags and things.

I'm not terribly happy with the automatic either, but I think it's probably a good one - modified from the 12-cylinder E-class Mercedes. Then again, I despise the manual in my 330i. I find the clutch difficult to modulate.

For me the decision has been like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, trying to determine the comfort vs. performance ratio. My 97 540i without anything remotely sporty was too soft. The 330i with sport package was too hard. I'm looking for that middle ground. That's a decision everyone has to make -- it's nice having the opportunity. ;)

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Nat Brown said:
Unfortunatley I'll probably be getting run-flat tires on the Magnum.
What's wrong with run-flats? Everyone seems to hate on them.

GL getting your Magnum/meeting your needs. :)

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
swchang said:
What's wrong with run-flats? Everyone seems to hate on them.

GL getting your Magnum/meeting your needs. :)
Many people seem to dislike them because the ride tends to more harsh with run flats. Apperently they have pretty stiff sidewalls to support the vehicle weight when there is no air in the tire.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Emission said:
Good news for you. The chassis you like, the 964, is the least desired "911" design by Porsche enthusiasts. For some reason, the 964 C2 and 964 C4 tend to have mechanical issues and are much harder to work on than the 911 before them or 993 that followed them. They are very nice mid-5 second cars, just not that popular.

Thanks emission, I have been told that before. I've also been told the Carreras were almost bullet proof. Right now I'm in the information gathering mode. The body style from the USA 94 and previous really are my favorites, but I wouldnt rule out a good 95, 96 if the price was right. Yes I do go back and forth. :dunno:

·
3,365 Posts
Emission is right, you other guys are wrong. Deal with it! ;)

I'd go with the 5er over the G any day of the week. granted, a 525i Step feels like a total dog, but like Emission says, there is much more to a comparo then raw hp stats, etc. This is really a no-brainer. The markets are different, pure and simple. And as for price and being able to own two G35s base for the price of a 540-6, who cares? Would you really want 2 G35s anyway? I don't think I'd really want two of anything. :angel:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
rumratt said:
I'm not sure I understand this. Is it because you feel you are more likely to get into an accident (worse emergency handling, etc)?

Or that you are more likely to be injured IF you get into an accident? I don't see how you can "feel" this one. A car can feel light and cheap to drive, but (in theory) be safe. :dunno:
The G35 doesn't feel like it is carved out of one piece of alloy. BMW's feel solid, substantial, heavy... the Infiniti is still lacking a bit in that department.

When a car feels heavy and substantial, you feel safe. Make sense?

Crash tests rank the G35 pretty high. It's got all the electronic gizmos, airbags, and sensors - so I don't worry about my safety (but I still feel safer in my X5!).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nat Brown said:
You'll probably laugh at me, but I'm selling my 330i for the new Dodge Magnum. I've had the 540i and I was thinking about getting a newer one (2002) later this year for the great power and luxury. However, the build quality of BMW, high prices and obscene service rates are not something I can live with long-term. The Magnum RT has 340HP, 390 ft/lb of torque, a 0-60 at around 6 seconds, Chrysler car reliability (which approaches Honda Accord and Toyota Camry), all for $35k.

Oh yeah, it's got the Mercedes E-class 5-speed automatic, Mercedes sterring, Mercedes suspension, Mercedes seats, a good amount of Mercedes electronics, and Continental tires. Snip pic 8<----------
So that's where BMW got the exterior design for the 1 series hatch:

http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish/bmw_news/article_473.shtml

:p

·
Registered
590 Posts
Unfortunately we won't be seeing the 1-series coupe here, as Americans have a phobia against hatchbacks and wagons. There's doubt that the Magnum will do well too, unlike the Chysler 300, which is essentially a Magnum, but with a trunk. The Magnum will be sold in Europe as the Chrysler 300 Touring.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I discovered that the tires are "self-sealing" as opposed to run-flats, which should help the ride. I also saw that the 18" tires are H-rated 60 series, which are pretty tall compared to what I expect from 18" tires. It's that goofy trend towards large wheels.

Desertnate said:
Many people seem to dislike them because the ride tends to more harsh with run flats. Apperently they have pretty stiff sidewalls to support the vehicle weight when there is no air in the tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i tried them all
G35, acura TL, jaguar s and x types
mercedes class C and E
(also lexus es330)
G35 is really quick but man the interior sucks
eventually i took the 525i even though i knew it would be a little light on power
there is just no comparison for road feel and interior quality
the bimmer is glued to the road and feels super well balanced
the G35 feels like it might fly off the road if you make a mistake in steering

this is my first bimmer and I am so glad i made the decision

hey look it up in the reviews
525i luxury car
G36 near luxury

that says it all

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Brom said:
i tried them all
mercedes class C and E
(also lexus es330)
eventually i took the 525i even though i knew it would be a little light on power

525i luxury car
G36 near luxury

that says it all

Curious-- did you get an e39 525i or an e60? I'm assuming e39, since the e60's interior is not much better than G's?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Brom said:
i tried them all
mercedes class C and E
(also lexus es330)

525i luxury car
G36 near luxury

that says it all

I started with the G35 coupe then drove the 330i ZHP ten minutes later. Night and Day. The G is a slick looking car, but it end there. The performance is almost numb, I could barely tell if the thing was running and I even stalled once becuase I couldn't hear it. The 330 has gunt and is still a very comfortable car. My problem was that I couldn't get over the look of the ///M car. So, I bought it. As far as the 5 goes, Chris has made the outside numb! :bawling:

As far as I am concerned Nissan is STILL chasing BMW.

The TL was a beautiful car too, but front drive? :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
513 Posts
jastevenson said:
The price is different, but the two cars are more directly comparable to each other than the 3 / G35. The 5er and G are more similar in:
Wheelbase
Interior room
Exterior size
HP / Torque
(soon) Availability ofa 6 speed manual

I suspect the car mags are reluctant to do so b/c they know the G would trounce the 5er. Sure, the 5 has a good chassis, but it's an old design with old styling, poor packaging, poor interior (I think the 5er interior is incredibly dated, much as the E36 3er interior was), the world's worst base stereo, a weaker engine, and fewer safety features than the G. And the G handles better to boot (if the 3 outhandles the 5, so does the G35).

Refusing to compare the two is like not comparing a Boxster to an S2000 b/c the S2k is cheaper.
Have you driven both? There is really no comparison in the cars.

Edit: let me qualify myself. Maybe you could compare it to the 525i with Step. Otherwise, nowhere near the same class. (No disrespect to 525i Step owners.)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts