BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the appeal of driving an M car. The performance, the styling, the handling - M is a total class act. What, however, is up with buying the sport package with the M labels when you clearly don't have an M engine or M performance? It's like sticking a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Toyota. Stooooooopid!!!

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Some people have the same opinion about putting M on anything other than an actual racing car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I get the appeal of driving an M car. The performance, the styling, the handling - M is a total class act. What, however, is up with buying the sport package with the M labels when you clearly don't have an M engine or M performance? It's like sticking a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Toyota. Stooooooopid!!!
M package is the same as sports package except cosmetic differences. So they are pretty much the same except body kit and foot paddles and M decals inside the car.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
In London. I saw a 520d with an M5 badge on it today.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Your analogy is grossly misplaced. For Toyota it would be F-Sport, and M Sport is not M. Also, M Sport is not a gimmick; it's an authentic BMW styling and trim package. By the way, the M Sport steering wheel actually feels great in the hands IMO. To the point, choosing or not choosing M Sport as an option is purely a matter of preference...what you like versus what I like...rather than intelligence (to your stupid statement). Being happy with the choices we make is all that really matters anyway.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your analogy is grossly misplaced. For Toyota it would be F-Sport, and M Sport is not M. Also, M Sport is not a gimmick; it's an authentic BMW styling and trim package. By the way, the M Sport steering wheel actually feels great in the hands IMO. To the point, choosing or not choosing M Sport as an option is purely a matter of preference...what you like versus what I like...rather than intelligence (to your stupid statement). Being happy with the choices we make is all that really matters anyway.
Don't get all touchy feely on me. It's a poser move. Plain and simple. M is all about the engine and handling. Aerodynamics is a small small part. To have an "M" on your car without an M engine is flat out wannabe action.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No big deal

Coming from an e92 M3 coupe to an F10 550 m sport--I really do not see the big deal...it's M trim from the factory. If I were to put M5 badge on my 550 or a 520d, then I understand. Are you angry at life or something? I picture you driving around with a frown all the time:mad:

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Don't get all touchy feely on me. It's a poser move. Plain and simple. M is all about the engine and handling. Aerodynamics is a small small part. To have an "M" on your car without an M engine is flat out wannabe action.
I would actually care if you knew what you were talking about. Picking fights over ///M badging on door sills and steering wheels strongly suggests that you're a loser.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would actually care if you knew what you were talking about. Picking fights over ///M badging on door sills and steering wheels strongly suggests that you're a loser.
You're just upset because a house landed on your sister. Regardless, M badging on a non M car is poser behavior. I doubt many people admire an M because of it "stylish interior" and cool M labels on door sills. It's all about the engine, baby cakes. The M badge tells everyone that you're running a hardcore engine - not that you have a stylish interior with corinthian leather. LOL!!!

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
On a side note, are you still in Europe for your European Delivery?
No I finished that a while ago. I'm back in Europe on a business trip and stopped by London for the weekend to play with my tiny nephew and my two nieces.

Unfortunately I'm missing thanksgiving. In Europe till Thursday, then Sao Paulo on Friday before returning to Florida Saturday.

·
Private First Class
56 Posts
No I finished that a while ago. I'm back in Europe on a business trip and stopped by London for the weekend to play with my tiny nephew and my two nieces.

Unfortunately I'm missing thanksgiving. In Europe till Thursday, then Sao Paulo on Friday before returning to Florida Saturday.
Oh. Have you got the 550i back yet? I love the Imperial Blue. :thumbup: Reminds me of the Monaco Blue on my X5 when it was brand new.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
So did the owner switch out the badge???
Yes it was a 520d M-Sport. The badge was swapped. It wasn't even a modern M5 badge - it was a DIY ghetto badge probably bought off eBay. I have a pic in my camera but haven't had time to upload.

This is why I kind of disdain people who buy M-Sport cars and debadge. whether feel that whether you put the M5 badge or not you are creating the fake M5 impression. Leaving the 550i badge on is honest IMO.

It may be different elsewhere, but in the UK most people debadge if they drive 4 cylinder M-Sport models.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it was a 520d M-Sport. The badge was swapped. It wasn't even a modern M5 badge - it was a DIY ghetto badge probably bought off eBay. I have a pic in my camera but haven't had time to upload.

This is why I kind of disdain people who buy M-Sport cars and debadge. whether feel that whether you put the M5 badge or not you are creating the fake M5 impression. Leaving the 550i badge on is honest IMO.

It may be different elsewhere, but in the UK most people debadge if they drive 4 cylinder M-Sport models.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Make with the pics of the poser when you have time. I need a good laugh.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
"M is all about the engine and handling." M= Motor Sport and how you get their is important

IMO Aerodynamics is an important part , along with all the other design improvements over a regular BMW.

Check this video.

"Insight into how M cars are crafted - design, clay modeling, wind tunnel testing, engine development and testing, dyne testing,"

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538563

This article on the 1M (BMWs latest M car) is a good read.

http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2011-1-series_m_coupe/

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.