Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought my 2018 M3 I had a 2015 335IX. The only thing I don't like about the M3 is that it isn't all wheel drive. However if you want to spend more money and get the M5 you can get all wheel drive.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Weight and cost are the big reasons. xDrive typically adds about $2k and 200 pounds. Also, the M2C/3/4's 435 or so h.p. is manageable with just RWD. The 575 or so h.p. in the RWD-only F10 M5 was not usable until you were in 3rd or 4th gear. There's a reason an F10 M5 holds the world record for the longest duration drift.

You do get a real locking differential. That and some real snow tires make the little M's the schnizzle in the snow... except for ground clearance.

https://youtu.be/CS--UwoxFkk

https://youtu.be/vOv2g5qTpvA

·
Registered
41 Posts
I much prefer it being rwd, make it lots more fun to drive but requires maybe a bit more throttle control and steering input :) awd is nice in some ways, but it robs power a little bit, and it's more moving parts to service and wear out/break. I can get along in the snow pretty well also :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
There's a reason an F10 M5 holds the world record for the longest duration drift.
A couple points.... it looks like the new G80 M3 will have AWD. It also looks like there will be a stripper available that is RWD and 6MT for the purists. :thumbup:

And the F10 M5 held the drift record..... until they did it again when the F90 launched.... 375km drift on the slid pad in Greer at the Performance Center :)

Check out the link here for the video.... While it was very impressive for the F90 drift, it was more inpressive how they accomplished the refueling of the F90 with an F10 M5 mid-drift.... :thumbup::thumbup:

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/magazine-article-pool/BMW-M5-Guinness-World-Record-for-drifting.html

·
Go Hawks!!!
413 Posts
You do get a real locking differential. That and some real snow tires make the little M's the schnizzle in the snow... except for ground clearance.
I drive my M3 year round in Chicago...it does great in the snow with Blizzaks and the 'mini' 4 wheel drive the rear two offer. Manual also allows me to keep in the gear I want to give me the torque/feel I want based on conditions. Fun!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I drive my M3 year round in Chicago...it does great in the snow with Blizzaks and the 'mini' 4 wheel drive the rear two offer. Manual also allows me to keep in the gear I want to give me the torque/feel I want based on conditions. Fun!
Original post #1 here is the same post as

- why is my convertible not AWD (because snow and convertibles do not mix)

- why my sexy coupe has only 2 doors (because that is what "coupe" is)

- why my pickup truck doesn't have leather everywhere and 18 ways adjustable seats (because truck is a work tool, not Bentley to go to opera house)

- why my M3 doesn't have AWD (because the street M3 started as homologation model for a racing series that does not allow AWD)

But, hey, who am I to tell people that all season tires aren't good in hot weather, in hot and wet nor are they much good in snow, mud and ice. Right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts