Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going down the rabbit hole for my e93 335i ‘11 and stumbled upon the ‘15 35i M-Sport. Zero love and very few reviews here in the states. I understand the inline 6 turbo was a North America edition.

I am in love with my ‘11 e92. Still going strong at 76k (easy) miles and have now begun to add some mods to it. Yeah it took me a bit. Cobb tune and a down pipe. Looking towards a DP and PE exhaust mod.

I began look at a small used suv’s that would give me “some” of the driving experience with more ground clearance for my aging parents but retain some good looks. (Not too tall).

x3/4 m40i= great in your face power but price is not where I want to be. I’m not super crazy about the aesthetic visual proportions of either. The ratios seems off. Too much glass on top. Personal preference. (Still haven’t driven the last version of the 35i)

x5= too big and heavy for my needs/wants. In addition, I’d need the big motor. And that opens a whole new can of worms in the long run. Love the looks though.

x2 35i= great looks and size. However the move to a turbo 4 has left me wanting. Yes it is tuned to run. But it needs a few beats to think about it and I’m not keen on a motor wound so tightly to get results. The move to a FWD biased drive train wasn’t thrilling either.

I guess I’m wondering about the X1 35i M-Sport. Very few out there. I now know it’s based on my chassis and not extremely successful.

Any insight/comparisons?

Side note: I all models must have the M-Sport package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
E84's were an odd duck. Their footprint was about the same size as an F25 X3. But, they weren't as tall. They were closer to a tall station wagon than an SUV. That's not necessarily a bad thing to me, but it is a bad thing for Muffy the soccer mom.

I briefly looked at and E84 as a possible Frauwagen. What struck me was that the coachwork wasn't really up to typical BMW standards, specifically the trim around the side windows. That wasn't a deal breaker, but it was still a thing. What quickly stopped me from considering the E84 was the lack of a spare tire. That also took the F25 X3 off the list.

The E84 seems to be an appliance car and one designed from the start to be built for commercial/government use and for Asian production and sales. There were a lot of E84 cop cars in Europe. An acquaintance of mine had an E84 as a commuting and 'business errand" car for his restaurants. He didn't want to expose his Porsche Turbo to constant sunlight exposure, and parking lot ding, doinks, and vandalism. But, he didn't want to drive a Ford Transit Express mini-van to and from work every day, either.

Those N55 powered X1 35i will be keepers, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E84's were an odd duck. Their footprint was about the same size as an F25 X3. But, they weren't as tall. They were closer to a tall station wagon than an SUV. That's not necessarily a bad thing to me, but it is a bad thing for Muffy the soccer mom.

I briefly looked at and E84 as a possible Frauwagen. What struck me was that the coachwork wasn't really up to typical BMW standards, specifically the trim around the side windows. That wasn't a deal breaker, but it was still a thing. What quickly stopped me from considering the E84 was the lack of a spare tire. That also took the F25 X3 off the list.

The E84 seems to be an appliance car and one designed from the start to be built for commercial/government use and for Asian production and sales. There were a lot of E84 cop cars in Europe. An acquaintance of mine had an E84 as a commuting and 'business errand" car for his restaurants. He didn't want to expose his Porsche Turbo to constant sunlight exposure, and parking lot ding, doinks, and vandalism. But, he didn't want to drive a Ford Transit Express mini-van to and from work every day, either.

Those N55 powered X1 35i will be keepers, though.

I need to find one to drive. Very rare. For good or bad. There’s an ‘13 near me. While it’s not the package I’m after, it should give me a sense of the ride.

Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
A used X1 should be priced well for the buyer since all the E84's are out of warranty now.
The X1 is definitely a fun car and the interior features are similar to your E93. (dash functions and coding etc.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am having a loaded ‘15 35i M-Sport being transferred near me. Fully loaded in V. Orange. Should be here this time next week.

They are rare birds.

Anyone have any insight regarding the mechanical aftermarket bits? CP, DP, air intake, etc? Logic dictates that much of the e9x options are compatible, however information is spotty when directly searching for the model.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard pass. I liked the car (a few cosmetic issues), loved the V Orange color (shockingly, I could enjoythat that color). But carMax failed to disclose the cigarette smell in the car after a remote walk around. They offered me a filter change and suggested a turtlewax “car bomb”. I said: for the price you are asking, full market value, I shouldn’t need to do much too it let alone smell bomb it.

Oh well. 100$ for a test drive.

·
HappyboyPDX
10 Posts
love my X1 3.5M

I bought 2015 X1 3.5 M Sport with 60k from a dealership for almost wholesale price-20k 18 months ago, declined the $$$ warranty.....everything great, love the harmon pardon, sport seats, paddle shifters, the ride is Very Firm, but some new Michelins helped somewhat, and some Hawk brake pads and drilled Rotors got the brakes where i like them.
A week after i took the car home, the coolant light came on, bottle was empty, so I refilled, two weeks later came on again, found a hairline crack with a black light that was pissing coolant between the fender crimp, replaced the coolant bottle with a new one, 2 weeks later, light came on again, oh boy i thought-down the rabbit hole we go. bottle full, however, so replaced that with another new one(bad sensor in bottle # 1), and all good now.
Did a full fluid service when I bought it-both diffs(synthetic gear oil), transfer case, trans with filter, brake fluid with dot4, new plugs, filters, wipers.....what a hot rod. Likes gas a little bit, -my wife has a 17 x1 that gets great mpg, rides better...but my car has the great sound system etc.
I also disconnected the exhaust bypass connection located in the drivers side access well in the very back of the cargo area. Great rumble.....im sure the neighbors love it as much as I do.
Replaced front wheel bearings at 70k-bought it with 60-(these are hard to find, so enen tho the miles were a bit high, if they are good cars.......right?)....
There is some chatter about the front diffs being weak....keep the fluid fresh and full and we hop for the best...oh yeah, the rf bearing had the slightest growl on slight turn on certain pavements, but i taking no chances...who wants to seize a bearing at 120? not us, right?

·
HappyboyPDX
10 Posts
right to pass on stinky car

you did right to pass on a stinky car....they are out there, .....if you want one keep looking. out here we don't have to worry about salt etc, so our used stuff is pretty sharp....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought 2015 X1 3.5 M Sport with 60k from a dealership for almost wholesale price-20k 18 months ago, declined the $$$ warranty.....everything great, love the harmon pardon, sport seats, paddle shifters, the ride is Very Firm, but some new Michelins helped somewhat, and some Hawk brake pads and drilled Rotors got the brakes where i like them.
A week after i took the car home, the coolant light came on, bottle was empty, so I refilled, two weeks later came on again, found a hairline crack with a black light that was pissing coolant between the fender crimp, replaced the coolant bottle with a new one, 2 weeks later, light came on again, oh boy i thought-down the rabbit hole we go. bottle full, however, so replaced that with another new one(bad sensor in bottle # 1), and all good now.
Did a full fluid service when I bought it-both diffs(synthetic gear oil), transfer case, trans with filter, brake fluid with dot4, new plugs, filters, wipers.....what a hot rod. Likes gas a little bit, -my wife has a 17 x1 that gets great mpg, rides better...but my car has the great sound system etc.
I also disconnected the exhaust bypass connection located in the drivers side access well in the very back of the cargo area. Great rumble.....im sure the neighbors love it as much as I do.
Replaced front wheel bearings at 70k-bought it with 60-(these are hard to find, so enen tho the miles were a bit high, if they are good cars.......right?)....
There is some chatter about the front diffs being weak....keep the fluid fresh and full and we hop for the best...oh yeah, the rf bearing had the slightest growl on slight turn on certain pavements, but i taking no chances...who wants to seize a bearing at 120? not us, right?

I had some HGL issues with my e91 a year after buying. The extended warranty paid out.

Bmw is definitely a love hate

·
Registered
178 Posts
I loved my X1 35i the minute I drove it. Swapped to an aftermarket metal charge pipe (I think I actually broke one of the plastic ones being stock), Burger Tuning JB4 (a revision from before they went all CARB compliant), and swapped to a catless DP. The thing hauls butt, it's like a smooth rocket ship that handles like a dream. I don't really want to change too much more, it's no longer my daily driver but it absolutely needs to be reliable. 2014 with 73k miles now, with 6k oil change intervals, spark plugs and coil packs (one pack broke during the spark plug change) at about 60k.
Gas mileage is really great for what the car is. On Costco gas, I would get 22-23 MPG with a 75 mile round trip to work and can get 24-27 MPG on long highway runs - that's on par/better than the JCW Mini I was looking at years ago. I've always gotten the best MPG from Shell, BP, Exxon, Mobil 1 though.

·
HappyboyPDX
10 Posts
These are just great cars. They do most things very well, a bit busy going down the road, but you get used to it. One of the only cars I liked as much was my 2012 glk benz. Once I got that sorted with proper brakes, tires, etc, it was a fantastic car also. More refined than the bmw, but not quite as sporty. And no leather? How strange. But a very solid chassis.....one of the best. But getting back to the x1 e 84. No complaints at all, and it hauls axx and lotsa stuff also. I put a light tint on the back side windows etc, (i don't like the front windows tinted at all), keep it cleaned up and ready to go. I have a porsche which has the pdk, and that would be fun in the e84.....but the awd makes up for it. a very comfortable car. If you find one, buy it. They are rare. And the more loaded, the better.....m sport of course, paddle shifter, hk stereo, sport buckets, ....dont worry about no spare, get 2 cans of fix a flat and don't drive over nails. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I've got the 28i xDrive version, and am VERY happy with it. Honestly, the transmission is probably the smoothest shifting transmission I've had in any car, ever. While it's a 4 cylinder and not a 6 cylinder, honestly, it still has very decent power and can outrun a lot of things on the road. Passing ability is also great. The car, how shall I put it, feels effortless when you're driving it. Speeding up, passing, punching it on a highway on-ramp, all of this feels so effortless for the car.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The E84 X1 is just a gem.
I remember my first favorite car, was the Datsun 280zx.
Good looking, and just had a beautiful interior dash.
I always smile when I see the odd one on the road.

Our X1's also have a perfect dash too. The layout of the drivers "area" is perfect. Meaning my knees fit nicely, and accessing the controls are spot on.
I also think the E84 X1 has the best looking tail lights of any BMW ever.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After my bad car max experience, my jury’s cooled. Not they are back on. Rare indeed.

Looking for a 35i M-sport. It’s like snipe hunting. Only worse.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've got the 28i xDrive version, and am VERY happy with it. Honestly, the transmission is probably the smoothest shifting transmission I've had in any car, ever. While it's a 4 cylinder and not a 6 cylinder, honestly, it still has very decent power and can outrun a lot of things on the road. Passing ability is also great. The car, how shall I put it, feels effortless when you're driving it. Speeding up, passing, punching it on a highway on-ramp, all of this feels so effortless for the car.
No kidding and I have the s28i M Sport with 255/35r18 Michelin PS4S on rears. It's just enough traction at low speed when punched. Drove a X5 on loan, and I know it must be faster, but seemed like it had to work at it. Same with the 435i coupe I tested. MY 14 X1 is the best car I never knew could be made. I want nothing more except for it not to break. Nothing has in 34k miles. Only normal worn tires and brakes which were easy for me to fix.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone know of someone who has considered selling?

Pm me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts