BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking to order an I4. Everything that is in transit or on the way for the dealer has been spoken for.

Last I checked the deposit was refundable. Now they are saying it’s $2000 non-refundable. And their timeline for delivery is very open ended.

So I can’t plan around when this car will be available and I’m supposed to sit around stuck to this dealer because if I buy it from anywhere else I lose the deposit.

Is this a new national policy?

· Registered
882 Posts
nope, it's just shiity dealers charging "partial payments", non-refundable deposits, ADMs, or whatever else they want to screw you over.

Dealers are independent businesses, not BMW, and they can more/less do what they like.

Cross shop every dealer in the country and do performance center delivery for any dealer too far away. Send out emails to see if they have an allocation; if so, tell them the terms of the deal you'd like and see if they agree. Most won't, some will.

Personally I won't pay MSRP or over and fully refundable deposit or no deal. In Aug/Sept 2021 I emailed about 50 dealers all over the country and 90% were charging $5k-$10k ADM on an X5, many with non-refundable deposits or other fees. Porsche dealers will ask you to buy PPF and a $5k Porsche Watch. Nope.

I got lucky and found a dealer willing to do 4% under MSRP just 40 miles away, but I would've easily flown across the country to any dealer if not.

Even if I burnt up 100% of my savings in travel costs, no problem, because feck dealers and their shiit.

· Premium Member
2022 BMW Z4 sDrive30i, Black Saphire, Magma Red
99 Posts
So I can’t plan around when this car will be available and I’m supposed to sit around stuck to this dealer because if I buy it from anywhere else I lose the deposit.

Is this a new national policy?
Not a policy so much as a common practice. From a dealer perspective, it reduces the odds you'll change your mind and leave them stuck with the vehicle you ordered.

When purchasing my Z4 back in August, there was a gorgeous M8 on the floor. My SA told me a guy had ordered it and changed his mind. Actually, he ordered identical M8s from 3 different dealers, paying a NRD on each. From the beginning, he intended to take delivery of only the first one that arrived, accepting the loss of his NRD on the other two. The M8 at my dealer's location sat on the floor for months before it was sold.

No buyers like it but as long as inventories remain low, dealers will be able to get away with it.

· Registered
E30 325e, E34 535i, E46 330Ci, E60 530i, F10 528i, F10 535d
1,055 Posts
In many states, non-refundable deposits are not enforceable. One time, I ordered a car with a not so popular color combo (allowed by the ordering guide) and they asked for a non-refundable deposit. I agreed to it without hesitation. They never ran my credit card. I am convinced they just wanted to see how committed I was.

In most part of the world, once you order a car, you cannot back out. That is why they can mix and match almost any options and colors.

· Registered
225 Posts
...In most part of the world, once you order a car, you cannot back out. That is why they can mix and match almost any options and colors...
In the late 80's I was avidly reading a car magazine and was subjugated by a 3 series convertible prepared by some tuner for Diego Maradona. I was drooling at anything BMW back then and was impressed, but even to my young eyes - it looked like it was ordered by a colorblind person. It was red, with gold inserts, I believe red and white leather, golden inserts inside, arocious color cobinations and shapes, and I especially remember the shift fob being a gold or gilded eagle head.

Ten-ish years later, I was reading another magazine with an article about a tuner, I believe it was AC Schnitzer, with pictures of their showroom and models. In a corner sat something under a car cover. The comment under the picture was something along the lines of "...This one was an order from Diego Maradona. He never paid for it, so the car was never delivered. It has sat in this corner for years, as it is pretty much impossible to sell, given the specific color combinations and tastes of the client..."

I am getting old, and I could be wrong - my memory is not what it was, and a BMW 3 series comes to my mind with the same strength as an MB 190. I am quite sure it was AC Schnitzer, and 100% sure about the tacky color combinations, Maradona and the eagle head shifter.

I can find zero info about it on Google though.

· Glfbggy
1,146 Posts
In the late 80's I was avidly reading a car magazine and was subjugated by a 3 series convertible prepared by some tuner for Diego Maradona. I was drooling at anything BMW back then and was impressed, but even to my young eyes - it looked like it was ordered by a colorblind person. It was red, with gold inserts, I believe red and white leather, golden inserts inside, arocious color cobinations and shapes, and I especially remember the shift fob being a gold or gilded eagle head.

Ten-ish years later, I was reading another magazine with an article about a tuner, I believe it was AC Schnitzer, with pictures of their showroom and models. In a corner sat something under a car cover. The comment under the picture was something along the lines of "...This one was an order from Diego Maradona. He never paid for it, so the car was never delivered. It has sat in this corner for years, as it is pretty much impossible to sell, given the specific color combinations and tastes of the client..."
Sounds like Maradona ordered the car in the colors of the Argentine National Team, or other Futbol tea and detaild in gold to reflect his winning of the Golden Boot. Not sure the year, but if 1990 and World Cup, Argentina did not win and I do not believe he won the Golden Boot. Shortly after, if memory serves, he had some drug and financing issues...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts