BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never drove a truck but looking into Ford F150. At least on initial research it is damn fast. Anyone drove it? How would the driving dynamic compared to lets say 320?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I never drove a truck but looking into Ford F150. At least on initial research it is damn fast. Anyone drove it? How would the driving dynamic compared to lets say 320?
This is kind of like saying " I eat sushi every day, but I am thinking about eating a tri tip steak. Anyone try steak? How different will it chew? I mean, they are both meat, and food, right?"

(in my opinion, I have no idea how anyone could give you ANY sort of driving comparison on a 320 bmw vs a ford F150. Maybe an X5 vs 150, and definitely a mustang vs a 320, but those two cars have such different purpose, and drive SO different... I wouldnt know what to tell you).

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
F150? Pfft. M3 truck is the only way to go.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Like JJ said, both serve a different purpose. Let alone the fact that one is a truck and one is a car.

Ford and BMW are two very different companies.

·
Registered
220 Posts
First I wouldn't get a Ford. Fit, finish, reliability not great and no where near a 320. Trucks are higher heavier, and less maneuverable than a 320. I wouldn't choose either or but have both as the serve different purposes and have different driving characteristics. Hopefully this is a joke thread. If so, you got me lol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I owned an ecoboost F150 and sold it and bought my 428i. Sold the truck because i sold the Mastercraft Wakeboard boat we pulled with it and didn't need a truck anymore.

The f150 is actually pretty fast straight line with the twin turbo. but it's a truck, top-heavy, sluggish and above 95MPH it gets downright scary.

Used that to my advantage a couple months ago, some F150 dude didn't like that i passed him, and kept trying to ride my bumper as I went 75...80..85 so i just floored it and went to 120+ - knew he'd be ****ting his pants real soon....lol

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,592 Posts
First I wouldn't get a Ford. Fit, finish, reliability not great and no where near a 320.
Really, this FORD Ranger is a 1998 stored outdoors 24/7/365. Only major mechanical parts outside of consumables like brakes, spark plugs & filters replaced are the clutch disk, pressure plate, throw-out bearing & pilot bearing two years ago.

Finish is still very good despite a lot of off road for hunting & towing. Will race anyone's 320 in the snow or dirt.:rofl:

The F-150 year after year after year is number 1 in USA sales of any truck or car.

Seriously way to many generalizations take place here.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
I think the F-150 has excellent driving dynamics when compared to my International 4300. Compared to any BMW... not so much.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Take a look at the new Honda Ridgeline for 2017. It has unibody construction and drives like a car. If you opt for some of the upgrades you can even get speakers in the walls of the bed and power converter that allows one to plug in a TV for tailgates. Has lots of storage including a lockable ice chest under the truck bed and a second row of seats in the cab that fold up so you can carry your flat screen securely. Other pluses include that it has a built in bed lining that is tough enough to withstand the force of a load of rocks being dropped on it and all models are equipped with a proven 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I personally think that it is a perfect vehicle for those who live in Third World countries or have road infrastructure of the Third World country - for example, New York City. I'd go for it in a heartbeat, by the time 320i bent 3rd wheel and blew 8th tire, the major event happening to your truck will be getting first oil change for $80. No brainer, really. Go for it!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry meant no offend that why I put the goofy emoji. OP comparing Ford Truck to 320 drivability. A few of my friend's Ford trucks have broken down twice as much compared to my friend's who own Chevy's as an example. Been in all kinds of makers or trucks as I used to run a truck club and Ford's were the least comfortable to me as far as driving comfort and interior features. The truck you posted however looks like on of the exceptions. I would recommend the OP drive a truck regardless of make and immediate compare to the 320 and see for himself what the difference is between these two very different vehicle platforms.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Take a look at the new Honda Ridgeline for 2017. It has unibody construction and drives like a car. If you opt for some of the upgrades you can even get speakers in the walls of the bed and power converter that allows one to plug in a TV for tailgates. Has lots of storage including a lockable ice chest under the truck bed and a second row of seats in the cab that fold up so you can carry your flat screen securely. Other pluses include that it has a built in bed lining that is tough enough to withstand the force of a load of rocks being dropped on it and all models are equipped with a proven 6 cylinder engine.

OK, added some more views of Honda's just released 2017 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I actually came from a F-150 FX4 to a 340i. Both are fun vehicles. I'm just now, after 7 months, starting to not feel like my feet are scraping the ground in my 3 series.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oddly enough I actually cross shopped the f150 with a BMW 335. Completely different but I like them both. The f150 was fast!! I test drove a loaded 2.7 eco boost and loved it. But I really have no need for a truck so went with a BMW. But I do find myself looking at them all the time on the road.

My buddy has a new 3.5 eco boost king ranch with a tune and I'm pretty sure it would be a close race. It's crazy fast for a truck.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Take a look at the new Honda Ridgeline for 2017. It has unibody construction and drives like a car.
When my M6 lease is up, I'm thinking about getting an even less practical car, so I might need to get a truck as a secondary vehicle. With this in mind, the Ridgeline Black Edition has caught my eye.

http://youtu.be/N0SmoljRXRY

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
I have two fords one is a 99 that has over 200k and is still daily driven. They however serve a totally different purpose than a car. My dodge is def not as good a truck as the fords but the hemi is way stronger than the triton. I would have all diesels though if I knew then what I know now:thumbup: I will say I don't think I ever had fun driving a truck, the M3 however always puts a smile on my face.:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
I actually owned a ridgeline (still have it, my son drives it) before the F150 that I sold to buy the BMW. The ridgeline handles great, much more carlike but it's WAY underpowered compared with the F150 with ecoboost. Daily driver, it's great. Towing much load, not so much. But the bed is awesome and it's super reliable.

Forgot to mention the gas mileage with the ecoboost was TERRIBLE, I got 15-17 max. my 438 gets 35+ on the highway all day long.

I think it's cool that many of us consider and shop different types of vehicles. There are times in life for all of them and I'm ignoring the snobby retorts. Most of us have to make compromises when we decide what to buy and cross shopping different types of vehicles is not that uncommon!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts