BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
---------
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I played with the built-in Nav at the dealer and with Garmin in Car Toys. Here are my thoughts: :typing:

BMW Nav:
- is not easy to use. Typing an address is a nightmare without remote or touch-screen
- it does not allow to find a place/address by entering a phone number
- it disables the ability to play MP3's in E90
- it replaces the "BMW professional" radio/CD player (which I think is very good) with very basic CD/DVD slots
- it forces to control the music system through single iDrive knob (instead of multiple functional buttons on the "BMW professional" radio/CD)
- from what I read (I haven't tested that) the directions are not as accurate as with third party Nav systems
- it is extremely overpriced at $2000
+ it looks very nice on the dashboard as a built-in system (some people disagree and claim that one hump looks better, so I think it's an individual preference)
+ it has large screen

Garmin Nav:
+ is very easy to use, has lots of functions and touch-screen
+ it allows you to enter a phone number to find associated place/address
+ doesn't disable the ability of playing MP3
+ leaves the original "BMW professional" radio/CD and climate control in place
+ is portable, so you can take it anywhere
+ costs anywhere from 500-1100 depending on model
- doesn't look as great as built-in Nav in the dashboard
- has smaller screen

Basically, taking functionality and price as priority, Garmin by far wins in both categories. So, why do people buy BMW Nav then? :dunno: Do they sacrifice functionality and price just for nicer look? I wonder...

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Also for BMW Nav:

+ sucks in adddresses from phones or over the net so you don't have to type them in.
+ offers extra features for many other options on the car (everything from seat heaters throught to Blue tooth)
+ will be important to have for upcoming cool software upgrades (iPodYour BMW v2, email, dvd etc).

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
Blax said:
Also for BMW Nav:

+ sucks in adddresses from phones or over the net so you don't have to type them in.
+ offers extra features for many other options on the car (everything from seat heaters throught to Blue tooth)
+ will be important to have for upcoming cool software upgrades (iPodYour BMW v2, email, dvd etc).
is this stuff applicable to E46 too? :dunno:

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
I wonder if other Festers can help us with here with one item missing from your list, whether by getting the Nav, and hence the DVD slot, you can get the DVD player option for the back seats.

What I am asking is can you only get the DVD back seat option if you have the DVD player already installed. Maybe X3 owners know this who got that option?

Another of course for Europe only is the TV option, where you can watch TV in the Nav screen when you are parked.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Greg, I take you are not ordering the NAV and we'll see a Garmin unit in your E90? :dunno:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Blax said:
Also for BMW Nav:

Blax is right.
In addition I ordered it because I want to see the phone numbers from my cell phone on the screen...makes dialing easier and safer if you use the phone while driving.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Greg220 said:
Wait a minute, if you have the phone number of a place, why would you not have the address? And why would you not call them and ask for directions? I trust human input far more than I do any navigation system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The other major improvement that is available as an additional option is the voice control which allows you to control the entire stuff with 2 or 3 words...

With it, you simply have the best on board computer or nav system available. :thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
doggydogg said:
The other major improvement that is available as an additional option is the voice control which allows you to control the entire stuff with 2 or 3 words...

With it, you simply have the best on board computer or nav system available. :thumbup:
Can someone tell me what the voice control, controls? and what the actual command are?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Never really felt the need for a nav system since I already know the roads in my area very well... If it can tell me where the conjestion areas are and such, it would be useful to me... As far as I know, BMW navs dont have that function... Maybe it should... :)

I still would get one though... I'm sure it would have other functions other then controling the nav... also, having a car that comes with a screen just makes me giddy like a little kid in a candy store.... :D yes yes, i'm an over grown kid... but I like that kinda stuff...

J

·
Registered
860 Posts
Blax said:
I wonder if other Festers can help us with here with one item missing from your list, whether by getting the Nav, and hence the DVD slot, you can get the DVD player option for the back seats.

What I am asking is can you only get the DVD back seat option if you have the DVD player already installed. Maybe X3 owners know this who got that option?

Another of course for Europe only is the TV option, where you can watch TV in the Nav screen when you are parked.
In all BMW DVD Nav system the DVD slot is only for reading DATA-DVD´s. Not video. So the rear seat entertainment package comes with a seperate player and is therefore fully independant of the vehicle Nav

The screen of the Nav system can be hooked up show video content (from DVD or other source) when standing via Aux/Video-input adaptors. But the DVD Nav player again has nothing to do with that.

DVD is not DVD when your thinking of Nav and DVD-Video playback. Nav DVD is DATA only.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
tierfreund said:
In all BMW DVD Nav system the DVD slot is only for reading DATA-DVD´s. Not video. So the rear seat entertainment package comes with a seperate player and is therefore fully independant of the vehicle Nav

The screen of the Nav system can be hooked up show video content (from DVD or other source) when standing via Aux/Video-input adaptors. But the DVD Nav player again has nothing to do with that.

DVD is not DVD when your thinking of Nav and DVD-Video playback. Nav DVD is DATA only.
That said, is it just a standard DVD player ? If so, would swapping it with another DVD player work at all ?

·
---------
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alex Baumann said:
Greg, I take you are not ordering the NAV and we'll see a Garmin unit in your E90? :dunno:
Garmin is the easiest/quickest solution to implement. However, I am considering installing a car PC with touch-screen LCD. This will have the ability to play music/video, GPS navigation, show view from a rear camera or run any other software. In this case, I won't need "park distance control" either. I am a software engineer so I am quite confident in my ability to implement this. My only concern is the installation of my gadgets (screen and running cables to the trunk). Does such an upgrade affect the BMW warranty in any way?

·
---------
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mathew said:
Wait a minute, if you have the phone number of a place, why would you not have the address? And why would you not call them and ask for directions? I trust human input far more than I do any navigation system.
Entering a phone number is much quicker than entering the address. Sometimes you may not have full address but a phone number of your friend. I don't have a cell phone but even if I had, I would prefer to simply enter the phone number and have the Navigation guide me to the destination.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Greg220 said:
Yesterday I played with the built-in Nav at the dealer and with Garmin in Car Toys. Here are my thoughts: :typing:

BMW Nav:
- is not easy to use. Typing an address is a nightmare without remote or touch-screen
- it disables the ability to play MP3's in E90
- it replaces the "BMW professional" radio/CD player (which I think is very good) with very basic CD/DVD slots
- it forces to control the music system through single iDrive knob (instead of multiple functional buttons on the "BMW professional" radio/CD)
- from what I read (I haven't tested that) the directions are not as accurate as with third party Nav systems
- it is extremely overpriced at $2000
+ it looks very nice on the dashboard as a built-in system (some people disagree and claim that one hump looks better, so I think it's an individual preference)
+ it has large screen

Garmin Nav:
+ is very easy to use, has lots of functions and touch-screen
+ it allows you to enter a phone number to find associated place/address
+ doesn't disable the ability of playing MP3
+ leaves the original "BMW professional" radio/CD and climate control in place
+ is portable, so you can take it anywhere
+ costs anywhere from 500-1100 depending on model
- doesn't look as great as built-in Nav in the dashboard
- has smaller screen

Basically, taking functionality and price as priority, Garmin by far wins in both categories. So, why do people buy BMW Nav then? :dunno: Do they sacrifice functionality and price just for nicer look? I wonder...
I'm with you. I' going to integrate an after market unit (Garmin or Magellan) rather than to get BMW NAV, which comes with the two humps and the i-Drive.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
DuckofPrey said:
Never really felt the need for a nav system since I already know the roads in my area very well... If it can tell me where the conjestion areas are and such, it would be useful to me... As far as I know, BMW navs dont have that function... Maybe it should... :)

I still would get one though... I'm sure it would have other functions other then controling the nav... also, having a car that comes with a screen just makes me giddy like a little kid in a candy store.... :D yes yes, i'm an over grown kid... but I like that kinda stuff...

J
That's not the purpose of a NAV. It guides me to places I don't know. After leaving that venue, all I have to do is enter "home", and the NAV knows exactly how to get there. As for getting around traffic, in LA, you're better off sticking it out on the freeway because everyone thinks and uses alternate routes, which are more congested.

·
---------
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
doggydogg said:

This is indeed a great feature but I have big concerns on how effective it is. Once I had voice recognition commands on my computer but it was very frustrating to have to repeat the command multiple times before it was understood. Another problem is that I believe when you issue a voice command you cannot listen to music because the iDrive would not recognize the command easily. Does somebody have any experience in using this? From epinions.com on 2004 series 7, somebody describes:
[...] in order to turn on the radio, you have to either use the I-drive, or the cars voice control and say something like "radio on." This would all work very nicely if the voice command worked. The owners' manual gives you a bunch of different phrases that the voice command will understand so it can perform various functions. The system is supposed to recognize all types of voices. Sometimes voice command worked, but the majority of the time it didn't. After about the twentieth time of hearing "Please Repeat" we gave up. The technology in this car is so aggravating.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
I never really saw the point of reasoning out integrated nav vs. a 3rd party nav unit. Integrated units offer 2 major advantages that, IMHO, always win over the 3rd party handheld unit:

1. It's integrated. That means it is designed to work with the systems in the car, and allow car data to be presented to the user via the interface. Outside of technology, it is 1 less device that is "free floating" around in your car -- I don't care how well you think it's secured, it's going to go flying when you hit something.

2. 1 data disc, vs. loading data per region on most portable GPS units.

I will concede that BMW's navigation system may not be as feature laden as say that in the Acura or Infiniti cars; however, it does work and gets me from point A to point B without ever having to look at a map or take my eyes off the road. That to me is worth any amount of money.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts