Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a new X3 this month. Although it seems like so few in stock have the HK sound. What's up with that? Are most people satisfied with the standard sound system in the X3?

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I am looking to get a new X3 this month. Although it seems like so few in stock have the HK sound. What's up with that? Are most people satisfied with the standard sound system in the X3?
Dealers dont tend to stock HK audio because people who buy off the lot dont generally want to pay for the option, unless the car is a loaded car. if you are looking at a loaded X3 M40i you can likely find a few with HK audio.

You will likely only find it on a X3 30i if it was an ordered car that someone ended up not taking for some reason or if there is a dealer in an area who sells to people who demonstrate they are willing to pay for it.

Thats also why you dont tend to see things like suspension options on "on the lot" cars.

Just plan on ordering the X3 in the color you want, with the options you want. In general, you can get an X3 in about 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dealers dont tend to stock HK audio because people who buy off the lot dont generally want to pay for the option, unless the car is a loaded car. if you are looking at a loaded X3 M40i you can likely find a few with HK audio.

You will likely only find it on a X3 30i if it was an ordered car that someone ended up not taking for some reason or if there is a dealer in an area who sells to people who demonstrate they are willing to pay for it.

Thats also why you dont tend to see things like suspension options on "on the lot" cars.

Just plan on ordering the X3 in the color you want, with the options you want. In general, you can get an X3 in about 4-6 weeks.
Good insights. We bought our X3 with HK off the dealers lot about 6 weeks ago. It was a special order and the woman who ordered it changed her mind and wanted a new X5. It also had a couple of other options that we didn't necessarily want/need but everything else met our needs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You will see lots of threads on HK ... both good and bad. Ignore them all and just get the car with HK option. Beauty is subjective and most will agree the standard system isn’t acceptable - HK should be the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
Not sure how accurate it is, but someone said that over half the BMWs sold are build-to-order. I think most forum members here went the BTO route, but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In California, they're not built to order. You can order, but the dealers I've talked to subtly try and steer you away. They want the bird in the hand. They've got stock (a lot) and wanna move it. They'd rather not take the risk of everything that could go wrong with a custom order on a volume seller like the X3. On something like a M3 or other true M car, sure. But some dealers in this state have 30+ X3s on hand.

Mine came with HK. Dealer stock.

HK on the X3 is hot garbage for a "upgrade" system. I can tell it has more speakers than the 6 or so that were in my old 2000 Camry or 1996 Civic, but that's about it. Quality isn't any cleaner. Since those ancient cars, I've had a Honda Odyssey with upgraded system, Lexus with the Mark Levinson, and a Tesla with "premium" sound. Also an e46 3 series with standard system. I don't recall being disappointed with the 3 series system. Sounded good. The Honda and Lexus only got replaced a couple months ago. Those two and the Tesla were far, far superior than the HK system in the X3. The Honda was noticeably better. It's not branded or anything. The Mark Levinson and the Tesla premium are both night and day better. Whether I'm playing classical to pop to hip hop, radio, or Satelllite, bluetooth, USB, they both sound so much better than the HK system. Total waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You will see lots of threads on HK ... both good and bad. Ignore them all and just get the car with HK option. Beauty is subjective and most will agree the standard system isn’t acceptable - HK should be the standard.
Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I agree. I think the HK has improved since the previous generation. The tweeters in my '16 F26 used to sound harsh to me. I couldn't get them out of there fast enough. In my G02 I found the sound acceptable and I think it's probably good enough for most. The new higher placement in the doors helps too.

I recently pulled all the HK speakers out and replaced with Bavsounds. I found that the HK tweeters were much more substantial silk dome tweeters than the ones in my 2016 F26, which explains why I found them more tolerable. Still nowhere near as good as the Bavsound tweeters, but, better.

I agree it should be standard at this level of a car. HK actually WAS standard on my 2016 x4 35i, but it was back to being optional again on my '19.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Our factory ordered X3 arrived in five weeks. Factory order one and get exactly what you want.

My 2014 HK was better than my 2002 HK. Frau Putzer's 2018 HK is better than my 2014 HK.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My old 2013 X3 had the HK system - and I custom ordered a 2019 X3 30i with it too since I liked it in the previous car. I think it's even better in my current 2019 car than it was before - though it is hard to compare.

One thing is definite though, the 2019 X3 is much quieter than my 2004 X3 or 2013 X3. It is very quiet, and I have the 30i which is a very smooth engine. I often find myself going 80 or 90 without realizing it, and I've seen the under body aerodynamic work which probably helps a lot. So this makes the HK system stand out more than before, maybe for better or worse, again I can't really tell without playing the same music and sitting in the old cars. I can just say that I still enjoy the HK sound system and would order it again. And though at home I have Bowers & Wilkins CM9 towers, I would not pay $4K plus for them in a car. The HK price, at $875 was the right choice for me.

Custom ordering, the first time I did it in 2004 took 3 months, when I did it in 2013, took at least 2 months. This time, in 2018, it was 4 weeks almost exactly from order to delivery. Weatherford BMW in Berkeley did not "push" a car they had on hand, on me and seemed happy that I was ordering one. At that point when I put down the $1,000 order deposit - they would know that I'm locked into buying from them - whereas I could buy a car off the lot from any BMW dealer in the area (we have 3 or 4 in the S.F. Bay Area).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have HK on my 2018 x3 ...totally worth I love the subwoofers that are under each of he front seats....Also had it on my previous lease too. No way I would buy one without at least a HK.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have HK on my 2018 x3 ...totally worth I love the subwoofers that are under each of he front seats....Also had it on my previous lease too. No way I would buy one without at least a HK.
The base has subs under the seats too, there just aren't as many rear speakers (questionable in value; sound stage really should be in front of you), but more importantly the amp isn't as powerful.

The base system is more upgradable, since it uses analog signals there are a lot more options to replace the factory amp. But if you go that route then you lose having the EQ in the iDrive which I like a lot, so I've always gone the route of tacking on a subwoofer to HK. I'm satisfied with the amount of power to the rest of the speakers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts