BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been dorking with this thing for 2 hours and can't get the damn hose off the radiator. Any suggestion? :mad:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The water pump DIY is SO NOT WORTH IT. Anyone else who does not have a lift in their garage, pay someone $300 to $350 to do this for you. I'm am so bummed out that I wasted all this time, and still can't do it right.

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
I don't know if you're doing more than just replacing the water pump, but if that's the intent, then you don't need to disconnect any water hoses.

I'd suggest using floor jacks to lift the car up at the front and to remove the engine splash guard for easy access to the radiator and the front of the engine. Also, removing the electric fan/housing will give you plenty of room to access the front of the engine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was doing water pump, hoses, and belts while I was in there. The hose doesn't seem like it should be turned because of markers that keep it straight. I think Im going to leave the old hose and have someone get the hose replaced and drain the block (I couldn't get that bolt off either).

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Yes.

It sucks, does it not?

My suggestions, FWIW:

- Work from above AND below (if you have to jack the cark onto stands, and remove the splash shield, do so).
- You did remove the electric fan, right?
- Try using a lever/fulcrum technique: I used a T25 T-handle Torx driver and a 10" 3/16 flat blade. Using the T-handle as the fulcrum against the radiator, and the flat blade as the lever, I was able to get a little purchase around the outside rim of the connection and coax it off.
- You did loosen the wire bail on the fitting, right?

Plan for a coolant spray shower if you are underneath when it finally pops off.

It took me every bit of 30 minutes with the dang thing myself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've removed the hose clamp and tried twisting the hose? Often times they get stuck on there over many years and need a little coaxing. Or cut a slit perpendicular to the mounting location, then twist it around some.
yes, clams are up and removed. upper came off without issue, it's just the lower connection to the radiator that is the stopping point now.

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
yes, clams are up and removed. upper came off without issue, it's just the lower connection to the radiator that is the stopping point now.
I'd work the retaining clip to make sure it's all the way up and then try to wiggle/pull the hose free.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Draining the radiator first should help with this. There's a blue drain plug on the bottom of the radiator.
already drained.

I'm giving up. THanks guys. Just going to leave the old lower hose on and pay someone a few months from now to do a proper flush and to replace that hose.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,960 Posts
already drained.

I'm giving up. THanks guys. Just going to leave the old lower hose on and pay someone a few months from now to do a proper flush and to replace that hose.
Also had this happen once. Stop whining and get it done. Giving up....what's that?

Try using a BIG screw driver and pry that beast out......

Or leave it. :dunno:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I will be doing this job in the near future and I'm thinking of getting my Dremel out and cutting the plastic coupler of the lower hose. What do you guys think?

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,960 Posts
I will be doing this job in the near future and I'm thinking of getting my Dremel out and cutting the plastic coupler of the lower hose. What do you guys think?
I think you'll damage the plastic radiator neck and be buying a new radiator too.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,960 Posts
Yes, I must be careful to not cut too deep. I'll try wingspan's lever method first and see how frustrated I get. :)
It's weird, some come right off (my car) some fight like crazy to come off (dj330ci's car).

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Been dorking with this thing for 2 hours and can't get the damn hose off the radiator. Any suggestion? :mad:
Spray it down with PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench to break the surface tension then pull straight back HARD. Do not twist it, you will shear the lug off of the rad outlet.

Spray, wiggle, pull. Repeat. Let it sit over night if need be. Spray, wiggle, pull.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Draining the radiator first should help with this. There's a blue drain plug on the bottom of the radiator.
That is true, unfortunately, at least in my case, there was *just* enough fluid left in the rad to spray my face with coolant when the thing finally popped off... :D

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,960 Posts
That is true, unfortunately, at least in my case, there was *just* enough fluid left in the rad to spray my face with coolant when the thing finally popped off... :D
HA HA. See 8:01 on the vid.......

·
Peace
195 Posts
Ha, I have my new water pump, hoses, belts, thermostat etc. waiting in the garage for my to get some extra time. Can't wait. I agree, DONT give up. Try cursing at the car in German, that usually helps me out. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts