1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a yr2000 /e39/ 528i
Live in Cleveland, OH

My problem is when the outside ambient temp is below 40-50F the car has a dip idle every 5 seconds, plus or minus a few seconds, when the engine temp is below 1/4. Once the above 1/4 no problems. I have replaced the MAF, new engine manifold intake temp sensor, new ambient temp sensor, DISA valve tested good, cleaned Idle Air Control valve, the Vanos is quiet, and runs great otherwise. The car does not use oil and there is no white smoke. I have run out of ideas.

Oh yes this may be another issue, but the cigarette light works when the car is above 45 degrees and the fuse is good. This has gone on for two years now and I just lived with it, for both problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a yr2000 /e39/ 528i
Live in Cleveland, OH

My problem is when the outside ambient temp is below 40-50F the car has a dip idle every 5 seconds, plus or minus a few seconds, when the engine temp is below 1/4. Once the above 1/4 no problems. I have replaced the MAF, new engine manifold intake temp sensor, new ambient temp sensor, DISA valve tested good, cleaned Idle Air Control valve, the Vanos is quiet, and runs great otherwise. The car does not use oil and there is no white smoke. I have run out of ideas.

Oh yes this may be another issue, but the cigarette light works when the car is above 45 degrees and the fuse is good. This has gone on for two years now and I just lived with it, for both problems.

Thanks
Some folks will point the finger at the Vanos seals but you might want to look around for vacuum leaks first, including a leaky valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I took starting fluid and sprayed everywhere. No results
Any leaks in the valve cover gasket or the crankcase ventilation system (CCV) tubing will ... for the most part .... be downstream of the intake and won't be detected with starting sprays.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While the car is doing this, put your hand on the Intake VANOS solenoid valve. You may be able to feel it cycling. It may be subtle and you can't hear it. My son's 200 528 did this periodically. The valve is located to the passenger side of your oil filter cap and has the black vanos line running to it from the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
While the car is doing this, put your hand on the Intake VANOS solenoid valve. You may be able to feel it cycling. It may be subtle and you can't hear it. My son's 200 528 did this periodically. The valve is located to the passenger side of your oil filter cap and has the black vanos line running to it from the oil filter housing.
What did you find to be wrong with the solenoids? Residue-plugged plungers? Electrical failure?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't know. Did not fix it and my son has now sold the car. I assumed it was associated with the vanos seals leaking. No codes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts