BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wife backed minivan into my bimmer

1763 14
Does anyone's wife know how to look behind them before backing up the van? :mad:
She managed to bang up both vehicles in our driveway with one simple push of the gas pedal. Fortunately, my insurance company waives the deductibles if one insured driver in the household hits the other insured driver. Otherwise, I woulda been out $2k since i have $1k deductibles on both vehicles.

Anyway, my bimmer is in the body shop this week and I have a question about the paint job. How soon can I wash/wax the new paint?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Sorry to hear about the incident.

You can wash it right away. Waxing is not a problem too, but make sure that the surface is CLEAN.

No polishing in the first 4 weeks.
....and yet another reason not to own a minivan. This accident is obviously blamed on the minivan, no? :D
I always thought no wax or polish for two or three months :dunno:
Carnauba Wax or Hand Glaze (for example 3M Hand Glaze) have no abbrasives, so it won't hurt the paint, even the fresh paint.

However, I wouldn't recommend a polymere sealant, since they work via bonding to the paint, which is a chemical process.

But you are correct on the polishing part. No polishing, abbrasives are taboo.
xspeedy said:
I always thought no wax or polish for two or three months :dunno:
:rofl: You're a smarter man than me. I shoulda gone with the X5 like you. Doesn't the X5 come with a bimmer sensing mechanism to avoid accidents like this?
Jim H said:
....and yet another reason not to own a minivan. This accident is obviously blamed on the minivan, no? :D
Ha ha! :rofl: I really wish it did. So far, so good on the bimmer to bimmer contact (fingers crossed). Not so good on the bimmer to garage contact (no I wasn't the driver), but we won't go there. ;)
rev2red said:
:rofl: You're a smarter man than me. I shoulda gone with the X5 like you. Doesn't the X5 come with a bimmer sensing mechanism to avoid accidents like this?
or another reason to not have a wife. :p
Jim H said:
....and yet another reason not to own a minivan.
Parking Distance Control might have helped. Not quite the same thing as bimmer sensing, but it's more versatile, assuming your wife would know what the beeping sound meant. ;)
rev2red said:
:rofl: You're a smarter man than me. I shoulda gone with the X5 like you. Doesn't the X5 come with a bimmer sensing mechanism to avoid accidents like this?
And just how is your future ex-wife taking the news? J/K
No Silicone

I've always been told no wax with silicone for at least 4 weeks. I've seen a lot of products that specifically say "no silicone." I always guessed that was for the guy who wanted to wax his newly painted car within the 4 weeks.
Is it me or ...

When I got mine - it seems like more ppl pull out in front of me ...
I think it's most likely "new car syndrome." Get a new car and you are so in love with it that every little false move on the road seems like it's aimed right at you! I've felt this way with every new car I bought.

Is it paranoia if they really ARE out to get you?
Chupracabre said:
Is it me or ...

When I got mine - it seems like more ppl pull out in front of me ...
I got a brand new backing system for sale.
Always felt that way whenever I drive out with a new car... lasts for months though... maybe everybody *is* out ot get me!!! :eeps: (If you've ever driven in Montreal you know what I mean... such bad drivers here in Quebec!!!)
Bob Clevenger said:
I think it's most likely "new car syndrome." Get a new car and you are so in love with it that every little false move on the road seems like it's aimed right at you! I've felt this way with every new car I bought.

Is it paranoia if they really ARE out to get you?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top