BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some wheels. They are 18x9s with an offset of 32mm. I will probably be lowering the car around an inch and a half to two inches. What size tire should I run? Will I need to roll or pull my fenders?

·
Registered
443 Posts
255 or 265 tyres, if you want normal rubber, if you want the "stretch drifter / stance look" run 205 or 215.
also you would have to roll your guards, maybe even if you use coilovers.
Or depending on how much camber you can squeeze out of your car, you might be able to sacrifice tyre wear for guard rolling.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
You'll need a roll and pull on the rear fenders. The lower may get you enough rear camber that you won't need adjustable rear camber arms. In the front you'll rub on the inner fender well liner at steering lock, and you may need spacers to clear the lower spring perch on the struts. A lot depends on what size/series tire you mount and how much stretch you get.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts

Mine fit with 245's on 9.5" rim and had not been rolled.
Are you on 17" or 18" and what's the profile on the 245's? 245/35, 245/40, or 245/45 x 17 would probably work, 245/30 x 18 would be cutting it close, and 245/45 x 18 would likely rub like sand in your jockey shorts. As I indicated, if you compensate for the added diameter, width and offset with proper tire selection, you may get by. If you pick a wide, higher profile tire, it's going to rub. Ignoring effects of negative camber, there's about 1 1/4" of space to work with in the rear fender clearance, by going from 7" to 9" wheels you use up 1" and the offset change from 46 to 32 uses up the rest so the rim edge is right under the lip of the fender. If the tire shoulder sits outside the rim, you'll get rub, if you go with some stretch to pull the tire shoulder inside the rim edge you're probably OK.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Those boat anchors are 18's and It had 245-40's on the rear. They are stretched a bit. Car was on Tein SSP coil overs which are NLA, rode surprisingly wheel since the rims were about 24 lbs each.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
Those boat anchors are 18's and It had 245-40's on the rear. They are stretched a bit. Car was on Tein SSP coil overs which are NLA, rode surprisingly wheel since the rims were about 24 lbs each.
Sounds like you got just enough stretch to clear. If you'd mounted those up on a 9" instead of the 9.5" you might have had some rub.

·
Meow!
299 Posts
Hmmm... I thought for sure they were going to be 17's. If I wanted to go with this same stance but with 17's what would I have to get. I don't mind a little more sidewall then that at all, as if like to smoothen the ride out a little, but yeah... You get what I'm saying, don't you?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
a no name brand that has gone away I believe. They came with the car when I got it. Was a 600 dollar blown engine car with tons of toys. Made it a 328is for awhile then a S52 powered M3 fake.

now it resides in junkyard stripped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts