BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first post but I'm sure not my last. I just wanted anyone's opinion and/or experience as to whether running 265/30/19 tires on 19x9.5 rear wheels will present any rubbing issues? The fronts are 19x8.5 with 245/35/19 tires on an '05 330ci cabrio if that matters. Any feedback, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated, THX!!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,231 Posts
You`re probably gonna have some rubbing under certain circumstances....a lot of people don`t realize there`s a *big* difference in tire clearance at static (i.e., parked) ride height, and at full compression....bumps, railroad tracks, extra passengers all may contribute to rubbing. What`s the offset on those rear wheels ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Offset is 35 upfront and 40 rear. Is there a different tire size you would recommend for optimum performance and appearance that won't cause rubbing?? Thx for your input!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,231 Posts
255s would be probably OK with the 40mm offset, you would`nt want to go any narrower with a 9.5-inch wide wheel. The shape of the tire`s shoulder also makes a difference...."square-shouldered" designs usually give a little less clearance than round ones....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info thx. Seeing as how we have similar cars, would you know if there would be a significant gap in the wheel well that you would recommend a slight drop for appearances sake?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,231 Posts
Most likely you will not rub. My friend runs 19's with a 65 on the back on his ZHP. It looks WIDE back there and he swears that he never had it rub.
Yeah, but it all depends on the wheel`s offset....as the rim gets wider, more offset is needed to keep everything centered....the OP`s rears are 40mm, not quite enough for a 265 to fit without rubbing (I *think*). IMHO, he would need 50mm out back for 265s....

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Yeah, but it all depends on the wheel`s offset....as the rim gets wider, more offset is needed to keep everything centered....the OP`s rears are 40mm, not quite enough for a 265 to fit without rubbing (I *think*). IMHO, he would need 50mm out back for 265s....
Agreed. Every time this question of 9.5" wide rear wheels comes up, I chime in with my story of 8.5" wheel with +42mm offset and 255/35-18 tires rubbing UP inside the fender well. Funny how that doesn't show up on the search though.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,231 Posts
Good info thx. Seeing as how we have similar cars, would you know if there would be a significant gap in the wheel well that you would recommend a slight drop for appearances sake?
Try it at stock height first. While a bit of drop always *looks* nice, it also increases camber, leading to faster tire wear....most people don`t want to have to replace those expensive tires every 12,000 or so miles just to look cool....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for all the help guys, y'all have been extremely helpful and i'll have to post some pictures of the ride and show you the results soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts