BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a 3 series (2002 325i). I want to know if anyone has had any problems with their 3 and rain floods? becasue of its lower suspension and all. I once flooded a car do to heavy rains (Florida) and got stuck in a puddle, but the car had an after market lowering kit. I just don't want it to happen again. Any imput would be appreciated.


Thanks :)
 

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
All cars (except those amphi-cars) will have problems. Just depends on how big a lake you plan to drive through. I have seen plenty of 3ers flooded when they've tried to go through big(!) puddles after a heavy rain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
i've gone throught some pretty big puddles in which other cars next to me stalled...i floored it and luckly didn't hydroplane...seemed fine to me...my camry probably would have gotten stuck.
 

·
Keeping it surreal
Joined
·
43,253 Posts
I would think this falls into the "Common Sense" category, no????

Regards,
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Fast Bob said:
I would think this falls into the "Common Sense" category, no????

Regards,
Bob
Or to paraphrase Monty Python, straight from the Dept. of the Bleedin' Obvious. :D

If you have to drive through a deep (look at cars ahead to assess depth) puddle, one that comes up over the tire, up to the hub, drive SLOWLY through it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Or in the words of Dr. Phil

"What were you thinking?"
 

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
Fast Bob said:
I would think this falls into the "Common Sense" category, no????
Apparently not for some of the people on this board :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Maybe if someone makes hydraulic shocks that can lift the car up in the air - like a lowrider, but for just giving more ground clearance. Doesn't that new Porsche SUV have something like that? Or was it a Hummer?
 

·
Keeping it surreal
Joined
·
43,253 Posts
WAM said:
Or to paraphrase Monty Python, straight from the Dept. of the Bleedin' Obvious. :D

I`ve often considered changing my name to Basil Fawlty....

Regards,
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Apparently you guys aren't familiar with my previous posts. If some of you can take the time to write stupid comments..so can I..

In the words of the Full Monty....Openlegs, Zemmen, Fast Nob....F_U_C_K U all, who would of thunk it, a bunch of pansy ***** assholes driving BMW's, wenches!

cdebnil and silver thank you!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,837 Posts
Wanted said:
Apparently you guys aren't familiar with my previous posts. If some of you can take the time to write stupid comments..so can I..

In the words of the Full Monty....Openlegs, Zemmen, Fast Nob....F_U_C_K U all, who would of thunk it, a bunch of pansy ***** assholes driving BMW's, wenches!

cdebnil and silver thank you!
Excuse me, what point exactly are you trying to make? :confused:
 

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
Wanted said:
Apparently you guys aren't familiar with my previous posts. If some of you can take the time to write stupid comments..so can I..

In the words of the Full Monty....Openlegs, Zemmen, Fast Nob....F_U_C_K U all, who would of thunk it, a bunch of pansy ***** assholes driving BMW's, wenches!

cdebnil and silver thank you!
Well, since you asked, I went and read some of your posts to other threads, and they are mostly normal intelligent posts. Guess you must have had a stroke, or a seizure, or something to suddenly post such utter nonsense here.
 

·
Casey!
Joined
·
17,665 Posts
Buy 2 and build an ark.

And the VW Toureg has the "height adjustment" so I would guess the Cayenne has it as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Wanted said:
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a 3 series (2002 325i). I want to know if anyone has had any problems with their 3 and rain floods? becasue of its lower suspension and all. I once flooded a car do to heavy rains (Florida) and got stuck in a puddle, but the car had an after market lowering kit. I just don't want it to happen again. Any imput would be appreciated.
Ummm... different suspensions yield a difference of like 1 inch, maybe 2? Do you think you can reliably eyeball that much of a difference in standing water height? And if there are small waves...

In short, my input is don't drive your car through standing water. The 2004 E46 sedan manual says to not drive through water deeper than 1 ft. (30 cm.). Me, I wouldn't drive through water that reached the rotors. (Never driven through standing water. :dunno: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
FenPhen said:
In short, my input is don't drive your car through standing water. The 2004 E46 sedan manual says to not drive through water deeper than 1 ft. (30 cm.). Me, I wouldn't drive through water that reached the rotors. (Never driven through standing water. :dunno: )
I plowed through tons of water with my junk old 1989 Chevy Caprice police car. Left big "Hawaii 50" tidal waves. Everyone else in SUVs kept stopping and timidly approached the flood sections (kinda funny since the are 4x4 and supposed to "go anywhere"). I just passed them and kept at 65mph giving them a big bath in the process. Ran right over some small tree limbs on the road too - the car is a tank.

Of course a Chevy Caprice 9C1 has more gound clearance and weighs more, plus it has posi-traction, and was able to plow thru. It is going slow that allows the water to lift a vehcile or seep inside.

I wouldn't want to try it with my e36 though, too low. My e36 even bumps underneath when I put the car in the yard for shade or for washing.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top