BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on bmwblog I believe someone saw a 5 door 1 series hatchback in Michigan. The car sells really well in Europe. Why wouldn't they try to compete with the Audi hatchback?

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,208 Posts
BMW has always openly said that "Hatchbacks don't sell in the U.S".

The way times are - maybe they'll change their minds?

·
Registered
75 Posts
What Coconutpete sez plus this added tidbit: Not just BMW, but suppliers (like Bosch) will bring, 'world market' only cars into the country that are not certified for sale in the US. These cars may be used for testing, competitive analysis, or some other technical reason. Michigan especially has a loose standard for the use of 'Manufacturer' plates, the license plate used on cars that otherwise wouldn't be licensable. GM used to own a couple of Porsche 959s and ran them 'legally' on the roads with manufacturer plates. And yet poor Bill Gates' 959 had to stay off the roads. How sad . . . ; -)

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
I saw on bmwblog I believe someone saw a 5 door 1 series hatchback in Michigan. The car sells really well in Europe. Why wouldn't they try to compete with the Audi hatchback?
That is a Bosch car and has no implications on the US at this time. There are also several in NJ used by engineering.

There will be no 5 door 1 Series in the US.

The 4 cylinder diesels will come in the X1 if pricing makes sense as to Americanize the motor costs a lot of $.

·
NADAVAN
631 Posts
Look at the popularity of the VW Jetta compared to the Golf. Europeans love hatches because they are more space efficient - Americans love a trunk. Don't know why...I think hatches are cool. I had a Golf. I thought it was better looking and it was even $1000 cheaper than a comparable Jetta.

If the 120d was available in the US, I'd probably have one.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
I saw on bmwblog I believe someone saw a 5 door 1 series hatchback in Michigan.
The 1 series 5-doors spotted in the US are foreign owned. Non-US residents are allowed to drive their personal cars in the US for up to 1 year. The rest are BMW AG cars in the US for one reason or another.

·
Bimmer Addict
209 Posts
Or some idiot paid a bundle for a conversion... Bosch and a few other suppliers have brought some to the US. Also, US dealers are allowed to sell those cars here. You can't register them.

There's a chance we may get the next-generation hatchback (or maybe a "GT" version like on the 5er and 3er). However, we are not getting the current generation. 1-series is changing in Europe in about 12-18 months.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
The 1 series 5-doors spotted in the US are foreign owned. Non-US residents are allowed to drive their personal cars in the US for up to 1 year. The rest are BMW AG cars in the US for one reason or another.
BMWAG has one or two cars in the US, the rest are owned by BOSCH as I stated above. One BMW car is clad with efficient dynamics all over it, another is plain white. Mexico also offers a 5 door. If they are in Michigan they are definitely part of the Bosch fleet. The BMW cars are not to be driven on public roads.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
BMWAG has one or two cars in the US, the rest are owned by BOSCH as I stated above.
Any idea if the Bosch cars are test mules for an EPA approved I-4?

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
Any idea if the Bosch cars are test mules for an EPA approved I-4?
Bosch is using them as marketing at this point. BMW would have to have the cars EPA approved.

I can tell you that we will see the I4d in the future, it is just not as soon as everyone thinks. There are some financial difficulties that need to be sorted out first. All US engines are variations from the EU ones and this takes money and development- there is also the adder for the diesel that consumers are not willing to pay at this time. There is 10% penetration in the X5 and less than 2% in the 3er.

The first 4 diesel may be the 1/X1 in 2011 as R&D on the new motor should be complete by then and if the market changes we will see them- they are still in the eval stage right now. The 4 cylinder petrol is coming and is early development as well.
There is also some question if the diesels will be 2015 50 state legal (long story)

FYI- This is what I heard last week from high ranking BMWNA personnel...

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's a shame that the take rate in the 3er is just 2%. That's a really good combination and built for long distance travel.

The other point of note is the executive order(?) that allowed the 'syncing' of emissions standards across all 50 states expires in 2016 IIRC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts