BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the G35 and several other cars having HP figures higher than the 330, do you think BMW will increase the HP; or will an increase in HP threaten the M3 market?

If so, what would you like to see it increased to, and what model year do you think they will do it?:dunno:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
BMW has never been the HP leader. I highly they will go for one upmanship. I think they will keep the car balanced like it is.
They may up the power in the next 3er if the overall market goes that way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Chipster said:
With the G35 and several other cars having HP figures higher than the 330, do you think BMW will increase the HP; or will an increase in HP threaten the M3 market?

If so, what would you like to see it increased to, and what model year do you think they will do it?:dunno:
Maybe they will actually start quoting the real HP figures... I still can't understand how the 330 keeps up to several similar weight cars that quote 250+ hp numbers!

Supposedly the G35 will top the 330 in an upcoming R&T article... I have driven both a lot, and I don't think so! Comparable acceleration figures, breaking and handing, but there is something to be said for striking a balance.

·
BFE 2003
95 Posts
The G35 did top the 330ci in the comparo..but only because it was cheaper, it was the fastest of the bunch; the new C and D test of the 330ci put it at 5.9 0-60, aint to0 shabby as is :thumb:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
RichP said:
The G35 did top the 330ci in the comparo..but only because it was cheaper, it was the fastest of the bunch; the new C and D test of the 330ci put it at 5.9 0-60, aint to0 shabby as is :thumb:
Rich - nice sig pic. Are those Fikse wheels?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The G35 did win the 11 sports sedan comparo in R&T this month. But the 225hp 330i won every performance category save for braking from 60mph and 80mph (those honors went to the IS 300).

I guess that while a higher number of horsepower may help some people justify or vindicate the bimmer's superiority, or the infiniti/acura's competence, the truth is in the performance and feel of the car - the bimmer's 225 horses was certainly enough to beat the higher horsepower figures of the acura, infiniti, volvo, and saab in that comparison in all performance categories, and the feel of the bimmer was something that no other car of the 11 came even close to.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
They won't and here's why: The E46 sedan is nearing the end of its development. A replacement is already near completion and the new 3 series sedan will probably be introduced in 2005. Most likely all the new engines coming up won't make it to the E46 but be slated for the next run of the new 3 series, especially since a lot of the new engine development may require a slightly different chasis to handle the engine layout.

My guess is the 3.5 liter V8 would mark the top of the line 3 series, followed by the 3.0 liter I-6 Valvo. and the 2.5 and 2.2 liter variants, and the 2.0/1.8 I-4 bringing up the rear with a 4.0 liter V8 markingthe ///M version. U.S. will likely only see the 2.5 to 3.5 liter versions.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
BMW doesn't really have to do that... In spite of the HP/torque difference, the 330 is still faster than a G35... Now, that may change when the G35 manual (i.e. G35 manual faster than 330, not BMW adding more power to the 3.0L I6) comes out... :dunno:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The HACK said:
Most likely all the new engines coming up won't make it to the E46 but be slated for the next run of the new 3 series, especially since a lot of the new engine development may require a slightly different chasis to handle the engine layout.
Hey, but BMW has a history of introducing new engines in the final year of the model line, like the M42 in the E30, the M52(?) in the E36 2dr's, etc.

·
Registered
679 Posts
So hack your saying a automatic G35 (260hp) will lose to a 225hp 330Ci in stick? I heard the realistic numbers of a 330 are in the 250hp range I don't know why BMW don't quote true numbers if this is true (which doesn't bother me), but if I get my car and I beat a G35 or a new Z in a race I will be VERY happy ;O) I'll be talking about it for weeks :bigpimp:

·
Registered
125 Posts
The question is will the 330 get more Hp....

They might be able to squeeze a few more Hp out of it but

the ONLY way to get alot more Hp is to make a bigger displacement

So if you go to a 3.2 litre motor the 330 will become a 332, isn't this right sports fans??????

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Mystikal said:

Hey, but BMW has a history of introducing new engines in the final year of the model line, like the M42 in the E30, the M52(?) in the E36 2dr's, etc.
M52s made it to E36es on the last year but the M52tus didn't make it until the E46es came out. It really just depends on where BMW is on their engine development and what happens with the 5 series. If the next 5'er comes out with the 380 HP bi-turbo but the rest of the line up stay the same (i.e. the 3.5 to replace the 540, the 530 remains the same and 525 gets dropped like a brown baby in the morning) then you can bet your *ss that the 3 series will not get an engine change. However, if the 5 series do come with all the valvetronic I-6es then most likely the 3 series will get it too.

All I can speculate at this point is that the 3 series will NOT get the good engines before the 5 series. BMW will wait until the official launch of the 5 series to bring out all the good engines for the 3 series, which could mean the 3 series will get the upgraded, Valvetronic I-6 sometime in 2003, like March or something if the 5 series gets introduced in September of this year. Most likely it will be a rolling engine change in September 2003 for MY 2004, or the new engines will all be introduced in 2004 as MY 2005 next gen 3 series.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Rufus330Ci said:
So hack your saying a automatic G35 (260hp) will lose to a 225hp 330Ci in stick? I heard the realistic numbers of a 330 are in the 250hp range I don't know why BMW don't quote true numbers if this is true (which doesn't bother me), but if I get my car and I beat a G35 or a new Z in a race I will be VERY happy ;O) I'll be talking about it for weeks :bigpimp:
Please pass me the peace pipe...Where did I say the automatic G35 will lose to a 330Ci stick?

Realistic numbers for the 330Ci is NOT in the 250 hp range. That would put the 330Ci in the E36 M3 range, and I can tell you the E36 M3 feels faster, pulls faster and has been clocked in the low 5 second range. There's NO WAY the 330Ci can possibly be making more than 230 HP right now.

BUT, all that said, the 330Ci stick IS faster than the G35 AUTO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts