BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ripped the side wall on my rear tire and i can bye the new rim with the tire already on it but its not the same tire as my other 3 will it work or will i have to buy a new tire?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i ripped the side wall on my rear tire and i can bye the new rim with the tire already on it but its not the same tire as my other 3 will it work or will i have to buy a new tire?
It will work dude, if you REALLY want to do it! :confused:
However, would I do it? No! :mad:
Would I recommend it? No! :bigpimp:

Get the rim, sell the 'unwanted' tire and minimise your damage! That, I would do!:thumbup:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Best to replace an axle at a time when it comes to tires... so buy two new rears.

I know, its frustrating when you hit a pothole. Same thing has happened to me twice so far. One came out of my own pocket and the other the local grocery store paid for (it was a pothole in their lot).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to replace one rear tire just last week.

I replace it with the same make, model and size just the tread patten is slightly different. All my other 3 old tires have only 10K miles on them.

Do you guy think that will be Ok? or I'll better off replacing both rear tires?

Thanks

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Well, you're always better off replacing in pairs, but we can't really quantify how much better off. There are a lot of factors involved...

You say that the other tires only had 10k on them. That tells us nothing - My tires are at the wear bars by 10k. I'd measure the tread myself, compare it to the new tire..

What's the treadwear rating of the new tire? If it's significantly higher or lower, you could have stability problems if you have to brake at medium to high speeds (one tire being stickier than the other = bad!)...

Just some things to think about..

·
Registered
814 Posts
Also, I remember a thread where the OP changed one rear tire and the stability control would activate randomly. That will happen if the outer diameter of the new/worn tires are different. Even slightly. Id go ahead and do a nice burnout and get a new set :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
You say that the other tires only had 10k on them. That tells us nothing - My tires are at the wear bars by 10k. I'd measure the tread myself, compare it to the new tire..
I measure the thread with a digital caliper. The new one is 1.5mm more tread than the old one. Will that be ok?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts