BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I only had my 335 for a month, I am craving for more power. Therefore, I've been thinking of installing Juice Box.

Will installing JB void my warranty?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
if they find it or detect it when hooked up the diag computer, say goodbye to your powertrain warranty

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
The new software update allows them to detect the fluctuations, which in turn will detect a piggyback. The new ECU's of the 2008 335i's produced present day are piggy back resistant/100% detection guarenteed.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If followed using our v81/29.2 guidelines the JB2 is not detectable, even on the new ECU, despite 330ximd's uninformed assertion to the contrary.

On the other hand any modification could void part of your warranty if it causes the failure and the dealer finds out about it. For example if you install larger rims/tires, its unlikely they will replace your wheel bearings. Just remove all mods before service to be safe.

T

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Or wait 50,000 miles or 4 years then mod.

It's understandable why BMW doesn't want people messing with the engine.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
If followed using our v81/29.2 guidelines the JB2 is not detectable, even on the new ECU, despite 330ximd's uninformed assertion to the contrary.

On the other hand any modification could void part of your warranty if it causes the failure and the dealer finds out about it. For example if you install larger rims/tires, its unlikely they will replace your wheel bearings. Just remove all mods before service to be safe.

T
unless the V81/29.2 DME/Progmans are sending data back to AG that cant be seen at the dealership level.

but the basic premise is, if they find it physically, or detect it electronically, your warranty will likely be voided.

the big q is, can they detect the traces of the tune even if its removed? and does the clean scans at the dealership level translate into the all clear when it comes to FASTA data being transmitted back to BMW AG?

I think only time will tell with that bit

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
the big q is, can they detect the traces of the tune even if its removed? and does the clean scans at the dealership level translate into the all clear when it comes to FASTA data being transmitted back to BMW AG?

I think only time will tell with that bit
Once you understand how the ECU works you'll see there are only a few channels for detection. If you block them all, its impossible for the ECU to know you have a tune in place. In the past two of these channels were not monitored so no one blocked them, BMS included. We always knew about them but the expense of doing it wasn't justifiable. But now that they are monitored we offer a solution up to 40 hp at the wheels available now, and soon with the JB3 will have double that available in a similarly undetectable format.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
Once you understand how the ECU works you'll see there are only a few channels for detection. If you block them all, its impossible for the ECU to know you have a tune in place. In the past two of these channels were not monitored so no one blocked them, BMS included. We always knew about them but the expense of doing it wasn't justifiable. But now that they are monitored we offer a solution up to 40 hp at the wheels available now, and soon with the JB3 will have double that available in a similarly undetectable format.
i wonder if they added circuit integrity testing to the new MSD81 dme. calibrate the impedance at the factory during assembly, if the wiring is intercepted, the electrical characteristics are changed, set warranty void flag.

otherwise, why would they have switched the ECU instead of just updating the progman?

·
Registered
882 Posts
To answer the OP's question directly...Yes. That applies equally to ANY aftermarket tune. The issue of whether or not JB can be detected is a totally different subject.

If you want to modify your car, be prepared to place your warranty in jeopardy. If you are not ready to do that, leave the car stock.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
It's a whole new ECU? What about cars that are brought in for service?
MSD8.0 DMEs (from SOP to 3/08 prod) those get progman 29.2 or greater. this version has tuner detection in it.

post march 08 production cars are getting the MSD81, which has the software detection, and possibly hardware detection.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i wonder if they added circuit integrity testing to the new MSD81 dme. calibrate the impedance at the factory during assembly, if the wiring is intercepted, the electrical characteristics are changed, set warranty void flag.

otherwise, why would they have switched the ECU instead of just updating the progman?
We haven't noticed impedance checking. But I believe they moved the logic out of the dataset in to the firmware, so it can't be overwritten with a reflash, etc.

PS. Impedance checking is really easy to defeat using a micro controller like we do with the JB3, most likely why they didn't bother with it. Just to be safe JB3 is impedance matched. What would work is switching the pressure signal to something digital and adding encryption, but they did not do that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts