BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get summer wheels and tires for driving schools and street driving. Tire Rack has 17" Kosei x 8.5 width - which they say will work but will rub on tight aggressive turns. Does anyone have experience with this - I'm a novice re; with wheel issues and could use some help. I presently have 17" wheels all around on a 2004 330ci, I think they are 7 width, and tires are m/s Michelin 225/50/17s... which I'll use for Oct-March wear in Ohio.

The alternative to the lightweight 17" Kosei is 18" wheels at twice the price or more ... the OZ or the SSR are both around 18 - 19 lb and 18 x 8" measure. But the price hits me hard! Which is why I'm looking for some feedback as to what to expect if I fitted the Kosei 17 x 8.5 to the coupe. Again, I'd be using same size all around, no staggering.

comments & advice appreciated! I'm new at these fitments!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,296 Posts
The wheel/tire combo you`re considering will work just fine as long as the wheels have an offset within the range of 35 to 50mm.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the offset is 40mm, but I was told that the fronts might rub against the fender in very sharp or pushed turns.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I think the offset is 40mm, but I was told that the fronts might rub against the fender in very sharp or pushed turns.
No way! I'm lowered quite a bit and run the K1's with 235/40-17 r-comp tires, at the track, all day long, even under full compression, no rubbing whatsoever...

Here's stock ZHP suspension, 245/40-17 PS2s...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will Kosei wheels fit

Jvr826, do you think there is any difference in size of our wheel/brake capacity? (pardon my awkward questions, but I'm a newbie at wheel issues) Your coupe is a 2005 with perf pkg, mine a 2004 with no sport option... brake rotor is probably different size?

Also, are you satisfied with 17inch wheels instead of 18s, and would you feel same to use them for casual town driving? I notice you have 40 width tires - I am thinking of 225/45/17 as they would not be track specific.... any comments?

And, are you running same size 17s all around?

Thanks!

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Jvr826, do you think there is any difference in size of our wheel/brake capacity? (pardon my awkward questions, but I'm a newbie at wheel issues) Your coupe is a 2005 with perf pkg, mine a 2004 with no sport option... brake rotor is probably different size?

Also, are you satisfied with 17inch wheels instead of 18s, and would you feel same to use them for casual town driving? I notice you have 40 width tires - I am thinking of 225/45/17 as they would not be track specific.... any comments?

Thanks!
Brakes on all 330s are identical, regardless of option packages. I also had 17x8.5 Kosei K1s for autocross use. They're great lightweight wheel.

225 is pretty thin for an 8.5" wide wheel - I'd recommend 245/40/17 (the sidewall would be the same height since the middle number is a RATIO of the width to the height, not the absolute height).

I never rubbed at all even with huge Hoosier and Kumho R-comps.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
As Kris said, same brakes, no troubles there.

Wider is better IMHO, Kris' recommendation is what I ran and it was good on those wheels. 17 vs 18 is a look thing, tire selection thing, comfort thing, weight thing. I prefer 18's on the street and that's what I run, but 17's on track are great (for me).

Same size all around. In fact, I swapped out my stock ZHP staggered set for a lightweight non-staggered set (SSR COMP-H) and I run 255/35-18 on all four corners. Without a drop and/or camber plates, the wheels/tires I have with a +42mm offset is pushing it on the stock suspension I think.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tires for 17" Kosei wheels

Thanks to you both for the helpful responses! I think the 17" fits my situation for now - maybe in future I can consider an 18" and sell off my stock 17s.

Now I need to focus on the tires and size. the first question is 225/45 vs 235/40 - can you say more about what differences exist and what to expect.

Also, Tire Rack advisor is recommending Bridgestn Potenza 760 as a best buy in the 225/45 size for my need (local summer drives + driving schools). What would be differences of going to 235/40?

Are there other tires in the <$150 range equal or better for my stated needs?

thanks, guys!

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
You want 245/40 not 235/40. More rubber = more better :).

Lots of good tires. I don't think thats one of them.

I think Kumho Ecsta SPTs are good "cheap" tires... I've got them on my wife's S2000... good grip (nowhere near $250 tires, but very good for $120 tires), not much noise, etc.

The Yoko S.drive is supposed to be good.. and its just as cheap..

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
The Yoko S.drive is supposed to be good.. and its just as cheap..
I asked Gary @ tirerack about these, and when compared to the top performers (PS2, PS1, BFG KDW, etc) he suggested the Sumitomo HTRZ3 over the S.Drive.

I've been contemplating the Nitto Invo as they are priced mid-level between the cheaper and more expensive offerings in the size I want and seem to get good reviews for handling and comfort/noise level.

The video posted here piqued my interest, but there is little chatter about them on the boards from what I can find. The Rogue Wagon guy did a review last November which indicated the Invos were a good dual purpose tire.

Selecting a tire is tough. I had RE750's on my former E39 for a couple of weeks. They were a nice all around tire, but having come from S-03s prior, no match in the handling category.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
summer tires 17 - sumitomo

the sumitomos sound very good. Anyone have actual experience using them? I'd like to know more.

the Yoki S drive also sound good... I also had a Brdgstn 750, on a 300Z. It was good, not great.

BTW, my car has factory 17" wheels , non sport base - do you know what width they would be??? I'm guessing 17 x 7.0 , not 7.5 - does that seem right?

thanks all comments!

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
the sumitomos sound very good. Anyone have actual experience using them? I'd like to know more.

the Yoki S drive also sound good... I also had a Brdgstn 750, on a 300Z. It was good, not great.

BTW, my car has factory 17" wheels , non sport base - do you know what width they would be??? I'm guessing 17 x 7.0 , not 7.5 - does that seem right?

thanks all comments!
Probably 17x7, yes. You can find out for sure by finding them @ www.realoem.com/bmw (find your car, go to wheels, the light alloy wheels... find the pic of the wheels you have, it'll show the specs).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, Kris. the wheels are 17 x 7.0. I'll use for winter etc.

"225 is pretty thin for an 8.5" wide wheel - I'd recommend 245/40/17 (the sidewall would be the same height since the middle number is a RATIO of the width to the height, not the absolute height).
I never rubbed at all even with huge Hoosier and Kumho R-comp"

Would there be a big drop in street or wet performance between the 225/45 and the 245/40 /17 setup ? I understand it is bettr for track, but I'll be using for both.
Thanks

·
Keeping it surreal
43,296 Posts
thanks, Kris. the wheels are 17 x 7.0. I'll use for winter etc.

"225 is pretty thin for an 8.5" wide wheel - I'd recommend 245/40/17 (the sidewall would be the same height since the middle number is a RATIO of the width to the height, not the absolute height).
I never rubbed at all even with huge Hoosier and Kumho R-comp"

Would there be a big drop in street or wet performance between the 225/45 and the 245/40 /17 setup ? I understand it is bettr for track, but I'll be using for both.
Thanks
Unless you push it really hard in the turns, you`ll never know the difference. The 45-section height will give a little more impact resistance on bad surfaces.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kosei wheels and summer tires 17"

Sounds like I am pretty safe getting the 17"x 8.5 Kosei wheel and a 245/40/17 summer tire, probably the Sumitomo HR3, for my mix of street driving and driving schools. The 225/45 might be a bit more conservative, but sources here indicate no difficulties with the 245/40.
Again, the car is a 330ci 2004 base model, 6 spd.

Any final comments? I planto place order in next week....

Thanks for all help!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,296 Posts
Sounds like I am pretty safe getting the 17"x 8.5 Kosei wheel and a 245/40/17 summer tire, probably the Sumitomo HR3, for my mix of street driving and driving schools. The 225/45 might be a bit more conservative, but sources here indicate no difficulties with the 245/40.
Again, the car is a 330ci 2004 base model, 6 spd.

Any final comments? I planto place order in next week....

Thanks for all help!
Post pix of the BIG smile on your face after driving on your new wheels !

·
Registered
31 Posts
jvr826 - would you please post more pics of your car with the kosei (side profile, standing still) PLZ!

I'm in the market for a set of track wheels and this is really informative

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe 18" oem wheels?

Jvr826, what width 18" wheels are you using for street, with what size tires? I wasn't sure if 18 x 8.5s would fit all around...BTW are yours staggered?

I 've just come across oem wheels <nicely priced> in 18" sizes at finishlinewheels.com which are in my budget...unlike the Oz and SSR choices in 18". So I'm thinkin.....

Guess I best look at all options now before I buy!

thanks again!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts