BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will PDC only work when reversing a car ??? and not in normal forward motion and when
standing at the signal lights..

If that is the case then PDC can give us a chance to avoid someone hitting us from behind when standing at the signal lights..

Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
vamc.mc said:
Will PDC only work when reversing a car ??? and not in normal forward motion and when
standing at the signal lights..

If that is the case then PDC can give us a chance to avoid someone hitting us from behind when standing at the signal lights..

Thanks!
The US version only works in reverse.

I'm not sure how PDC would help you avoid an accident from someone rear-ending you ... I don't think you would have any time to react .... on top of that it would go off at every red light as most car pull right up to your bumper.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Only works when transmission in reverse. So you could be stopped and it would go off if something was approaching you. But, I can't see how this would help you avoid being rear-ended and it is not normally a good idea to be in reverse at an intersection.:confused:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Kanuck said:
Only works when transmission in reverse. So you could be stopped and it would go off if something was approaching you. But, I can't see how this would help you avoid being rear-ended and it is not normally a good idea to be in reverse at an intersection.:confused:
The PDC on my 6 works when the tranny is in drive too. I just press the PDC button to turn it on. It stays on until you get above about 10MPH. I have front and rear sensors, it might be different if you just have the rear. but you should be able to turn PDC on manually as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kanuck said:
I do not know exactly how PDC works out...hence this question..I thought it would be active all the time unless we turn it off...but it is only from rear side...

Sometimes at signal lights people tend to close in behind you and thats what i meant...

Just wanted to know how exactly the PDC works...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
vamc.mc said:
I do not know exactly how PDC works out...hence this question..I thought it would be active all the time unless we turn it off...but it is only from rear side...

Sometimes at signal lights people tend to close in behind you and thats what i meant...

Just wanted to know how exactly the PDC works...

Thanks!
Rear bumper only on the 3 and no switch. It is turned on by putting the car in reverse.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Even if you had the reaction speed to do something (which I don't believe any human does), where would you go? Into the car in front of you? Into an intersection through a red? Plus it would be impossible for the car to pick up sufficient speed in time.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
It might give you just enough time to put down the Big Gulp and rest your head on the headrest to soothe the impact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts