BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· King of Rear Clunks
12,907 Posts
If the E61 US spec is any indication, we'll get a 325xiT in automatic only or something lame like that.

· Spelling Impaired
5,719 Posts
Yep, they have surrendered the sport wagon market to the likes of Audi, Subaru, Saab, Volvo and Mazda.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
ClubSpec330i said:
I want to trade my wife's 330i for a wagon. A logical solution is E39 540iT or a S4 Wagon. Any speculation that E90 330iT will be built?
It's practically guaranteed - you just have to lobby the importer to bring it over (re the thread on the 5er board about the limited wagon choices sent to the US).

· Registered
53 Posts
ClubSpec330i said:
I want to trade my wife's 330i for a wagon. A logical solution is E39 540iT or a S4 Wagon. Any speculation that E90 330iT will be built?
Of course there will be a 330i Touring, there will even be a 335i Touring with most probably the turbo fed 3.0l. So when you want an alternative for an S4, the 335iT will qualify just fine also! :)

· Registered
148 Posts
KoenG said:
Of course there will be a 330i Touring, there will even be a 335i Touring with most probably the turbo fed 3.0l. So when you want an alternative for an S4, the 335iT will qualify just fine also! :)
We won't get them in the US though. Like the earlier poster said, we will get probably get 325xiT with auto tranny only.

· King of Rear Clunks
12,907 Posts
KoenG said:
Why wouldn't the US get the 335i? There are only two markets on this planet where BMW can sell serious volumes of it, Germany and the US.
There is no market for Tourings in this country. And the government doesn't allow diesels so we won't get those, either.

· Premium Member
24,293 Posts
Kaz said:
There is no market for Tourings in this country. And the government doesn't allow diesels so we won't get those, either.
There is a market for sport wagons, but BMW is on its way to its self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't offer it, promote it, etc, then people won't buy it, and therefore claims will be made that there is no interest in sport wagons in the US.

Offering the e90-touring only in all-wheel-drive and if you guys are serious about automatic transmission only, these will be the final nails in the coffin of US BMW wagons. At least I know that will seal the deal for me.

I'm sure Audi, Volvo, Subaru and others will continue to find a way to sell wagons in the US market.

· Registered
42 Posts
I don't know if it helps in this thread, but I would buy an e90 330 Touring in a heartbeat. We got the X as a family hauler, but my wife already wants a small car again. We'll need a family hauler, and I'd happily drive a 3 series wagon. I would consider buying a 325 Touring if I could get it manual with SP - NOT awd with Step! :dunno:

· Registered
148 Posts
twm67 said:
I don't know if it helps in this thread, but I would buy an e90 330 Touring in a heartbeat. We got the X as a family hauler, but my wife already wants a small car again. We'll need a family hauler, and I'd happily drive a 3 series wagon. I would consider buying a 325 Touring if I could get it manual with SP - NOT awd with Step! :dunno:
According to the sticky, we WILL be getting a e90 325iT.

:yumyum:

I would assume that if they are going to go ahead and sell a rwd touring here, they might as well let people buy manuals also as they do with e46 tourings.

edit: I can't spell.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
KoenG said:
Why wouldn't the US get the 335i? There are only two markets on this planet where BMW can sell serious volumes of it, Germany and the US.
Last time I checked the UK bought roughly the same number of 330s as Germany - and more coupes, and twice as many convertibles. And tourings in general are very popular in most European markets (France, Switzerland and Italy are the next biggest, and you can't move for snowchained 320dTs at wintertime :)) The problem is that each combination of body, engine and (I believe) transmission needs to be tested for crashworthiness, emissions, insurance, and a bunch of other things to do with US federalisation. It's very expensive, which is one reason why BMW only sells one or two engines per bodystyle in that market. If BMW NA can plug the gap with marketing and the X3 3.0, it retains margins and can eliminate several million dollars' worth of fixed costs.

I don't know what the figures are for 325i touring sales in the US, but I am willing to bet that (a) it's a very small proportion of overall BMW sales and (b) the low margins that result from the market-capped prices would make importing 330iT or 335iT a negative prospect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.