1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
guess he can mount it on top of the dash

·
Registered
716 Posts
If I were you I would try posting at mp3car.com. I suspect that quite a bit of custom fabrication would be required.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so it cant go straight into this section????

:bawling::bawling::bawling:

:mad:i just bought the damn unit!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not sure. The screen you show seems to go a long way back, I know there isn't much room there.

These guys seem to just use a flat panel and then have a PC somewhere else in the car (normally the trunk or the glove box).

·
Registered
797 Posts
guess you can try if you want to remove the radio (no a problem) and the heat/AC ( which may not be so easy).

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Yes and no, that is approximately Double-DIN sized there. However, the rounded corners on the bottom of the section will present a problem to work around. Custom fabbing required there. Also, don't know about the depth. The HVAC controls will need to be relocated down where the OBC is. I've seen it done before, but I won't say it will be easy.

This would have been an excellent question to ask *before* you bought the unit. Another good idea would have been to get the dimensions, make a little cardboard box to the same size, and remove the other junk and see if the box fits (with room for the wiring, too). Try to test fit the HVAC into the area with the OBC as well.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
The new unit looks too tall, and the bottom isn't going to fit the curved shape of the housing in the dash! Send it back, and get one where a single DIN slot unit goes in place of the radio, but it has an adjustable LCD screen on a stalk.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah what -Matt- said was what i initially wanted to do, like 3 months ago. But it was just working out to be too expensive, the bezel for the lcd was just $250 alone, and the screens started at around $350 now this is not including the pc system etc.
This thing that i bought is pretty decent, and i know that its possible to move the temp controls down where the sunglasses holder is, thats the reason i bought this double din unit, is just the depth thats worrying me.
So you guys reckon that it just cant be done? Or its possible, I wouldnt mind if it had to stick out a little bit, ill just get some sort of frame to surround it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing with the same piece. I will tell you though, that I have only seen it down low. Let me go find the picture to describe what I am referring to, I will post it in a minute.

I would really like to do that myself though!

here's a bet:
contact seller to see depth of item. Or, it will be easier if you can simply find the dimensions.

Then, take a ruler, get in your car, take out your stereo and AC unit, measure it, and compare. If it is too shallow, it is still not hopeless; just might take some MAJOR modifications - probably 10+ hours of work to deepen it. On the other hand it might fit nicely. The bottom corners can be fixed with a razor blade. Just remember you have one shot so don't screw it up.

Let me go find that picture now. Back in a minute.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Dimensions are in the first post.
Just noticed that. Oops. Lol. 165mm depth = 6.5in.
It will fit depth wise just fine.

Only problem is the rounded corners. I'm sure you can figure something out. Like I said though, just make a box the same size and try to fit it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A few things now:

I have seen this done several times; they usually put their OBC in the center console facing the driver.

Another thing is that I have wanted to see this in the dash where you want it, for a long time. It is much more practical there.
Also, the AC unit is very easy to move. On some of the older E36's, it can ONLY be removed by pulling it down around through the hole where the OBC is. Now, I am pretty sure the AC unit is a little deep to fit above where the OBC is from what I remember, but the modifications will be well worth it. It is a prevalent issue that there is no immediate place for a large LCD unit - typically a navigation unit (which costs $1000-$3000)

But, since I have always wanted this done, I will go into photoshop and do it myself, then post the result. See you guys in a while!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG im so happy!
So it will fit fine? because i pulled the dash apart today and i dont think the depth was enough.
It will be great if it fits.
as i said the dimensions are: 165(L) x 178 (W) x 100 (H) mm

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dimensions are in the first post.
Just noticed that. Oops. Lol. 165mm depth = 6.5in.
It will fit depth wise just fine.

Only problem is the rounded corners. I'm sure you can figure something out. Like I said though, just make a box the same size and try to fit it.
so what your saying is that the depth will be fine? cause thats the main thing thats worrying me at the moment, ill figure something out with the corners.
Ill do the box thing if i have time today.

·
Registered
274 Posts
alright I have it done. (not in my own car, but what it will look like.)

I did it actual size. This is the actual size, and what it will look like if you do a good job.

First, here are two pictures with an ACTUAL SIZE overlay:

(the one below is slightly more transparent)

Okay, here is the finished product:

here's before I blanked out the screen:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright I have it done. (not in my own car, but what it will look like.)

I did it actual size. This is the actual size, and what it will look like if you do a good job.

First, here are two pictures with an ACTUAL SIZE overlay:

(the one below is slightly more transparent)

Okay, here is the finished product:

here's before I blanked out the screen:
WOW thank you so much. That would be a dream come true if it fits in like that.
Thats just stunning now i cant wait to get it installed, im just really REALLY worried about the depth.

·
Registered
512 Posts
WOW thank you so much. That would be a dream come true if it fits in like that.
Thats just stunning now i cant wait to get it installed, im just really REALLY worried about the depth.
if you look at the overlay pics...
youll have to remould the bottom edge... could be a bit tricky... fibreglass or something.. no ideas here :(

p.s i put a slide out tv deck in mine, the depth on the top slot is JUST enough.. its really tricky to get in, you kind of have to jam cables down in little holes and divets before pushing pretty friken hard to get it to click in
as for the bottom half.... good luck.. and what will u do with ur air con controls?

·
Registered
197 Posts
it wont fit trust me it is way to long or deep...you would have to cut into the aircon ducting behind where the aircon controls would sit.

You can how ever mod in a lcd screen into either the top or bottom and move obc or aircon dials/climate controls around.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts