BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '03 E39 about a month ago, still has factory warranty and driving on the freeway a couple of days ago, I notice wind noise coming from the driver side door or maybe left side of the windshield. The noise starts at 50MPH. All windows and sunroof were closed.

Is it normal to have wind noise on the E39?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
TimeOut said:
I got my '03 E39 about a month ago, still has factory warranty and driving on the freeway a couple of days ago, I notice wind noise coming from the driver side door or maybe left side of the windshield. The noise starts at 50MPH. All windows and sunroof were closed.

Is it normal to have wind noise on the E39?
A very common problem is to have one of the jack lift pads drop off the car, leading to windnoise that seems to be coming from the windshield.

They are large rubber blocks stuck to the underside of the car easily visible when you look. Check all four - one or more is likely missing.

If that is not the problem, it could be due to an improperly replaced windshield.

Bill

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BillP said:
A very common problem is to have one of the jack lift pads drop off the car, leading to windnoise that seems to be coming from the windshield.

They are large rubber blocks stuck to the underside of the car easily visible when you look. Check all four - one or more is likely missing.

If that is not the problem, it could be due to an improperly replaced windshield.

Bill
I just checked under the car and saw none. They are all gone or I'm looking at the wrong place. :eek:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
TimeOut said:
I just checked under the car and saw none. They are all gone or I'm looking at the wrong place. :eek:
It is not inconceivable that they are all gone. You are looking for (3"x5" maybe) rubber pads at the jack points. If they are missing, you will have a hole in the metal maybe 3/4" across and that whistling causes phantom window noise that has frustrated E39 drivers since day1.

Picture attached. The front ones are just behind the crease between front fender and front door. The rears are just forward of the crease between the rear bumper and the rear door.

Replacing all four will cost you a bit under $20.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
I do hear little bit of wind noise at high speed (more like if you are really paying attention to that sort of thing), i.e. >50 MPH, which sounds like is coming from not the front windshield but from front side doors. And i checked and i do have all 4 jack lift pads.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the 4 jacking pads installed and the wind noise is gone. Thank you BillP. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem with whistling noise from passenger's side.
Where to purchase them? BMW dealership??

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
I have the same problem with whistling noise from passenger's side.
Where to purchase them? BMW dealership??
Yes it is a dealer item. Per BMW this is the number one source of all wind noise complaints on the E39. Don't neglect it. It can cause the headliner to fail and sag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.