BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2011 BMW 328i (Hardtop Convertible), the car has been to the dealership many times for them to scan it and they are still un able to find the issue. When I use the "retract all" button for the windows, on occasion the window will go up halfway and then go back down. I have had the motor replaced for the front passenger window and I continue to have this issue. I was also told by a neighbor who works in the automotive industry that BMW made a secret re call on the roofs of the 328i from year 09-12. If Anyone out there is having/had this same issue your help would be greatly appreciated!

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I currently own a 2011 BMW 328i (Hardtop Convertible), the car has been to the dealership many times for them to scan it and they are still un able to find the issue. When I use the "retract all" button for the windows, on occasion the window will go up halfway and then go back down. I have had the motor replaced for the front passenger window and I continue to have this issue. I was also told by a neighbor who works in the automotive industry that BMW made a secret re call on the roofs of the 328i from year 09-12. If Anyone out there is having/had this same issue your help would be greatly appreciated!
Is there some reason why you feel compelled to post in all bold letters?

·
Paid Up Though June
342 Posts
When I use the "retract all" button for the windows, on occasion the window will go up halfway and then go back down.
It happens...there are two solutions, no guarantees...reset the windows or replace the window regulators. No guarantees either will resolve the issue

I was also told by a neighbor who works in the automotive industry that BMW made a secret re call on the roofs of the 328i from year 09-12.
Untrue. You're neighbor's an idiot. Borrow his tools, drink his beer, IGNORE his automotive wisdom.

·
535i M-Sport ED May 2011
969 Posts
Is "retract all" the "lower all" or "raise all" function?

Normally retract would imply to me, "retract DOWN into the door", but
I have NEVER seen windows on a BMW go "UP" when you ask them
to go down.

So, if you mean "Raise All", then I think it is friction somewhere in the
mechanism, glass to rubber seal, etc., that is tripping the "anti-pinch"
and reversing the travel for that window.

Not so long ago, the anti-pinch sensor was in the rubber trim at the top of
the window opening on sedans (don't know about coupes), but now it is
based upon the amount of power used to raise the window. Too much
implies that a "pinch" is happening.

To can trip it manually by "stopping the window" as it is trying to close.

·
Random Helpbot
964 Posts
It happens...there are two solutions
I recently read of a third solution: don't use the all-windows button. A ridiculous kludge, but supposedly it works.

Actually, I'm wondering if folks who've installed the SmartTop controller are having this issue, since it apparently assumes functionality of the all-windows button to provide the option of one-touch close. But hopefully it doesn't ignore the pinch sensor while doing so, or the result could be a bit messy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts