BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had just finished up replacing the coolant systems, got all the air out, no leaks, feeling just super about a job well done and...

CLUNK...the window gets stuck halfway--passenger front door, 2001 530i. :tsk:

I try the button a couple more times...ain't happening...motor is whirring...window ain't moving...something is done broke and needs looked at. :mad:

I snapped a few pics as I took the door panel off. This is mostly for my information to ensure I put things back the same way and if any of you are curious what things look like under the passenger door front panel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Few more shots to help me reinstall...now onto the meat of the problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now onto the meat of the problem with my window lifter.

The first pic is how the lifter looks inside the door. The motor is on the other side of the silver bracket.

The second pic show some issues. The top red cap got shoved back onto the cable jacket and a chunk was torn off. The white pulley there lost a chunk (seen in a later pic). That lower red cap is supposed to fit into a notch on the lower pulley (pic 1 shows the cable correctly connected to the lower pulley of the left bracket).

I guess pic 3 is a shot of the fully empty door. Pic 4 is uplcose shot of the damage plus a few chunks I found in the bottom of the door panel.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT53&mospid=47587&btnr=51_2250&hg=51&fg=10 shows the part and exploded view of the window lifter. Now you can see how it is supposed to look.

One thing about accessing the lifter, you have to remove the door foam insulator panel. It is sealed with some goopy tar-like substance that is a pain to deal with.

The window is fine thank goodness...now to find a good price on this part.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry, I was updating as you posted. Got the pics up now.

Now I need to make a cardboard facsimilie of the window to keep crap out of the car.

Should look handsome! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's looking like a cool ride with that cardboard window!! :rofl: I at least could've put the printing on the inside!! :lmao:

Luckily, we had just purchased a new stove and I hadn't yet gotten rid of the box...perfect size for a template.

Attachments

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll make this into a good write-up to put in the DIY Forum. I haven't had a good one in a while.... :)

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I'll make this into a good write-up to put in the DIY Forum.
For the record, I wrote up my own personal experience here (skipping no steps):

- One user's experience with diagnosing the front left driver door window regulator (1)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.