BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought the car, the window didn't roll down. This didn't bother me until a few days ago when I hit the switch and the window went down, and didn't come back up. I know it's not that switches or the wiring because I had that looked at, but what I'm wondering is if it's the regulator, or the motor. When you hit the switch now, it will only bring the window up by maybe a centimeter, but you can consistently put it up and down that one cm. I'm leaning more towards it being the regulator, but let me know what you think it could be, and what I should do.

Thanks guys.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,738 Posts
Welcome to the fest!

Regardless of whether it's the regulator or motor, the door panel has to come off. My guess is the regulator is so dried out of lube it can't move, or the regulator arms are bent. Either condition will cause the anti-pinch sensor to think the glass is blocked and it won't allow the window to move any further.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just replaced the drivers side regulator on my 95' 325i. The problem came from not being lubricated for years. It has three plastic sliding pieces, two on rails attached to the glass, and one riding a diagonal track on the regulator itself.

On mine the the one on the diagonal track had broken, but if any of them go they can cause various problems.

I'm surprised the motor didn't burn up. The plastic sliders were so bound in dry gunk, they were very tough to slide.

The regulator arm as well as the window guide tracks were all bent. But luckily the motor was fine.

After I replaced the drivers side regulator, I took all the door panels off and applied some lithium grease to all the remaining regulators.

After you get the interior door panel off, you'll be better able to diagnose the problem.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts