BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up people

have a problem with my passenger side window. It only moves inches at a time. I have to keep pressing the botton to move it up or down. And when the door is open i can only go down and not up. If there is anyone who had it problem let me know? Had this problem for 2 or 3 years now.

thanks,

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Very common problem on the E36.

Do a search and you should find some answers. To correct it you have to get into door pannel and adjust the lifting mechanism and possibly replace the motor.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Famous window problem solved thanks to Patrick S:
Many people have window problems with e36 when their windows roll up or down in small increments.

The window motor has a motion sensor inside which takes info from a magnetic ring located on the motor shaft. Over time this ring dislocates and the sensor gets no info so motor drive circuit thinks it's stuck.

You have to open the motor and relocate this ring. On a sedan it can be done without taking the window mechanism apart (and drill rivets) on coupe you have to take mechanism out and work on a table.

Magnet ring is marked in red and red arrow points toward the place it should be. The first pic shows it out of alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
E36 window motor fix

So how is this exactly fixed, just pushing that magnet back?
What else should be done here, does it have to be secured in any way?

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
You are dreaming if you think this is the solution to most window motor issues. Basically the motor is shot and weak. If it goes down just fine but up in increments of an inch or 1/2 inch that is a shot motor and it can only be corrected by replacement. The magnetic slipping is a more rare event than is suggested here. The opposite is usually true.
However this is a great find and I think you can secure the magnet by any means using a quality adhesive that will not interfer with the movement of the motor.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
The actuator switch is also a distinct possibility. Do a quick search on here and you'll get a ton of threads. A quick google for 'E36 actuator switch + diy' will give a ton of diy links.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re

I still think the motor is good as during the travel from open to fully closed it only stops around middle, once, so I press the window switch again and it closes fully or just by keeping the window switch pressed it closes normally without stoping.

Window actuator switch....is this the same switch located inside the motor and controlled bu the magnet.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Recurring info Franklyn. And to the dude who asked this yesterday. Read the post. Your answer is already given.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts