BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I saw it in action, I said to myself, 'now that's the first thing that's gonna break.' Sure enough, intermittently my driver's side window doesn't raise back up when closing the door.

Anybody else with a coupe or convertible had the problem?

Dealer can't reproduce, so they don't know how to fix. They lubed it, but of course that didn't solve it.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
obLu said:
The first time I saw it in action, I said to myself, 'now that's the first thing that's gonna break.' Sure enough, intermittently my driver's side window doesn't raise back up when closing the door.

Anybody else with a coupe or convertible had the problem?

Dealer can't reproduce, so they don't know how to fix. They lubed it, but of course that didn't solve it.
out of the 10,000 times I've shut my door..I can't remember that not working... I think I would get something inside the door replaced..whatever makes that thing do that... since you have the conv, yours dont have the alum piece up top...does your glass hit something??

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glass just tucks under the edge of the cloth into some rubber.

I'll take it in again so they can tell me they can't reproduce it and send me on my way. I was hoping somebody'd had the problem and the dealer'd actually fixed it.

At least this being my second BMW I've given up the idea that everything on my car should work perfectly and that the dealer should fix things properly the first trip. :D

Now I'm just happy the car starts, stops and turns. Everything else is bonus.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
obLu said:

lol :lmao: I am lucky I have a very cool dealership...I know the service manager pretty well too... They seem to get things fixed on mine, its a very small place..I have found large places don't seem to be as good??

·
Registered
550 Posts
sounds like a window regulator problem, very common with BMW's although i heard that since MY2000 the part has been updated.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
obLu said:
Glass just tucks under the edge of the cloth into some rubber.

I'll take it in again so they can tell me they can't reproduce it and send me on my way. I was hoping somebody'd had the problem and the dealer'd actually fixed it.

At least this being my second BMW I've given up the idea that everything on my car should work perfectly and that the dealer should fix things properly the first trip. :D

It's either the regulator or the motor; not many other parts it could be. My (old, E36) driver side window has given me fits since the day I bought the car. Originally, the auto-up function wouldn't work. They lubed it--no effect. Then they replaced the regulator, which solved the problem. However, shortly thereafter, the window ceased to drop fast enough when opening the door. Now, it always catches momentarily when you pull the door open.

On both this one and my E46, the window sometimes would fail to pop back up after closing the door. Seems to be a ghost in the machine.

Look at the bright side: At least you don't own a VW. Our (brand new, 3 week old) GTI just had it's regulator clips break, causing the window to plummet into the nether reaches of the door. This apparently happens (sometimes much more than once) to many of the new Golf/Jettas.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ACK! I was actually looking at a GTI this weekend. I keep flip-flopping back and forth on selling my current car and getting something cheap, small and fun (GTI, MB sport coupe, Mini) and then starting my quest for a pre-owned M5/XJR/993.

Hearing that I think I'll cut the GTI out of the equation.

Besides that, how do you like the car?

:thread hijack:

·
3,939 Posts
obLu said:
ACK! I was actually looking at a GTI this weekend. I keep flip-flopping back and forth on selling my current car and getting something cheap, small and fun (GTI, MB sport coupe, Mini) and then starting my quest for a pre-owned M5/XJR/993.

Hearing that I think I'll cut the GTI out of the equation.

Besides that, how do you like the car?

:thread hijack:
It's a great car, and I wouldn't let the window thing put you off. There don't seem to be many other common problems, and supposedly there's a new part coming onstream that fixes the problem.

The GTI is very fast, very comfortable on the highway, and easy to drive around town. We bought ours as a winter car, so we've got the 16" all season tires, and won't win any handling competitions. The Mini Cooper S is definitely a more involving drive, with better handling, and is more likely to put a grin on your face. The tradeoff is space and practicality. We can haul a lot of things in the GTI that would never fit in the Mini. Plus, that turbo engine is a kick. Car and Driver summed it up very well in their comparo: The GTI feels grown-up and sophisticated, unlike (e.g.) the SVT Focus, which has a bit of the boy-racer about it. As a result, it's not as much fun on the track, but I think it's a lot easier to live with.

I'd steer clear of the MB sport coupe. I've driven one, and it is not a lot of fun. The shifter is balky, the handling is prone to weak-kneed understeer, the engine sounds like an old Allis-Chalmers tractor, and the one that I drove rattled like a military cargo plane. Add to that the high price, and a GTI (or RSX Type S) is a much, much better buy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadn't test driven one yet, thanks for the feedback. Three reasons why I was even considering the mb sport coupe 1) Styling reminds me of my beloved CRX Si I had in highschool 2) The panorama sunroof (going from convertible need some open air) 3) Rear drive.

But if it understeers like a pig, there's no point.

Did you test drive a vr6 before buying the 1.8T? How did it compare?

I think I've got a new "chore" to do next weekend.:D

As much as I'd like a Mini, sadly the only one I'd want is the S, and when I contacted the (one for the state of WA) dealer they claimed a one year waiting list. Can't imagine what the mark-up is.

·
3,939 Posts
I was in the same boat WRT the Mini--the non-S is a big ball of boring, and the S has a 12 month waiting list at both area dealers. Fortunately, they're charging MSRP, but I cannot wait that long for a car. The fact that it was horrifically impractical sealed the deal.

I did drive the new 24V VR6 before buying. The performance difference was moderate, at best; I did not drive the cars back to back, but the VR6 didn't seem noticeably faster to me. The 6 speed is nice to have, but the extra gear would only really come in handy on the highway. The two areas where the VR6 was noticeably better was in immediate, off the line torque and engine sound. The turbo has a slight lag right off the line, though once you are rolling you don't notice it unless you get caught in the wrong gear. It's most noticeable starting out on hills. The VR6 also just flat out sounds cool, whereas the turbo sounds like a hairdryer.

In the end, I probably would have gotten the turbo even if the prices were the same, given the fuel economy benefits, the fact that the turbo is lighter, and the fun that comes with keeping the turbo on boil. The fact that the six was a couple of grand more made the decision a lot easier.

obLu said:
I hadn't test driven one yet, thanks for the feedback. Three reasons why I was even considering the mb sport coupe 1) Styling reminds me of my beloved CRX Si I had in highschool 2) The panorama sunroof (going from convertible need some open air) 3) Rear drive.

But if it understeers like a pig, there's no point.

Did you test drive a vr6 before buying the 1.8T? How did it compare?

I think I've got a new "chore" to do next weekend.:D

As much as I'd like a Mini, sadly the only one I'd want is the S, and when I contacted the (one for the state of WA) dealer they claimed a one year waiting list. Can't imagine what the mark-up is.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I read this post on Saturday and had nothing to add. As luck would have it, when I got to the beach, my damn window wouldn't go up.

Took it to the dealer today .................BROKEN REGULATOR :thumbdwn:

Service writer told me it is fairly common. Hassel to deal with :banghead: but at least it's free to fix

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Tanin said:
I read this post on Saturday and had nothing to add. As luck would have it, when I got to the beach, my damn window wouldn't go up.

Took it to the dealer today .................BROKEN REGULATOR :thumbdwn:

Service writer told me it is fairly common. Hassel to deal with :banghead: but at least it's free to fix
wonder why it seems every one with 00 01 models they break...my 00 still has the originals :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not a sensor problem? The lights turn off when you close the door, etc?

The replacement regulator clips for VW are made of metal now. They might still be a little rare if you need them now (like the BMW accelerator potentiometer).

I can't help but wonder if the same type of plastic clips are breaking in BMW's. Maybe it's the same vendor. Maybe they'd work in the BMW, if that's the problem.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
obLu said:
I also test drove a MB coupe.
It may be OK upgrading from a CRX, but if you're comming from an e46, you'll hate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts