BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Firstly...great forum...lots of my questions have been answered by searching :)

I have this problem whereby when my passenger window is down....if im driving along I can hear a loud rattle sometimes when going over bumps.

The problem worsens when someone opens the door and then closes it (even as gently as possible)... the whole window makes a thunderous rattle inside the door panel.

Then when i have to roll the window back up, sometimes you can see that the window is on too much of a slant towards the back (the door handle egde) and when it gets half way up, the whole window makes a CLUNK sound as it straightens up.

Clearly there's a problem and I want to get it sorted as soon as possible so that it doesn't worsen or break any more parts.....basically I was hoping someone might tell me exactly what could be wrong, and if it is worth me trying to remove the door panel to make a fix.

If so....could someone point me to a really clear set of instructions with pictures for how to remove the whole door panel (I'm a complete newbie and I have never done anything like this before!)

Thanks so much for reading ::thumbup::

PS. One more thing, in the back one of the seatbelt holder clips broke off so i bought a new one and pulled the old one off hoping that i could insert the replacement, however there's nothing for me to attach it to and i have NO idea how to remove that whole bucket seat panel....ideas please?!

·
Former Bimmerphile
49 Posts
Windows regulator perhaps? Plenty of documentation on that.

If you're still under warranty - good on ya.
If you're not - hope you're more mechanically inclined than I am. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Possibly the regulator. That's what it sounds like me to me. I've had two replaced and seems like another one to be replaced soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
riksta said:
Hi guys!

Firstly...great forum...lots of my questions have been answered by searching :)

I have this problem whereby when my passenger window is down....if im driving along I can hear a loud rattle sometimes when going over bumps.

The problem worsens when someone opens the door and then closes it (even as gently as possible)... the whole window makes a thunderous rattle inside the door panel.

Then when i have to roll the window back up, sometimes you can see that the window is on too much of a slant towards the back (the door handle egde) and when it gets half way up, the whole window makes a CLUNK sound as it straightens up.

Clearly there's a problem and I want to get it sorted as soon as possible so that it doesn't worsen or break any more parts.....basically I was hoping someone might tell me exactly what could be wrong, and if it is worth me trying to remove the door panel to make a fix.

If so....could someone point me to a really clear set of instructions with pictures for how to remove the whole door panel (I'm a complete newbie and I have never done anything like this before!)

Thanks so much for reading ::thumbup::

PS. One more thing, in the back one of the seatbelt holder clips broke off so i bought a new one and pulled the old one off hoping that i could insert the replacement, however there's nothing for me to attach it to and i have NO idea how to remove that whole bucket seat panel....ideas please?!
It sounds like the nuts that hold the regulator to the door frame might be loose or even missing. This happens a lot on the coupe and convertible E46 cars. I think you are hearing the loose regualtor banging around when closing the door. This can also cause noises and misalignment of the glass when operating the window. Take off the door panel and check to make sure all of the 10mm nuts are present and tight. I think this will fix your problem.
-Andy

·
davesnothear
31 Posts
riksta-
I am not very familar with BMW's but other makes have a felt padded slide (sic) that keeps the window from rattling when its in the down position. If it came loose that may be causing your noise.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had a window rattle on the drivers side. Took it in, the SA told me they fixed it using "aqua-felt" (sp?). It's some kind of lube/sealant they squirt into the frame that holds the window. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
141 Posts
davesnothear said:
riksta-
I am not very familar with BMW's but other makes have a felt padded slide (sic) that keeps the window from rattling when its in the down position. If it came loose that may be causing your noise.
I believe there are rubber bumpers at the bottom of the door frame, but I have never seen one cause a window to rattle. I have seen cars where they have come loose, and the only problem it causes is a little "clunk" noise when the window is lowered all the way down (and contacts the door frame instead of the bumper).

Riksta,
There is an updated nut design for the window regulators because they have such a problem with coming loose. I don't think you really need the new style nuts, just crank down the old ones and you should be fine. If not, you might need a regulator. Good luck,
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts