BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I have a BMW 325iX 1989 4-door Sedan.

I m trying to get my windows to work properly and right now from a simple diagnostics I believe all my rear window regulator motors went out. I was wondering if can I pick up a window regulator motor from the front passenger side and place that motor into the rear passenger side? I am going to the junk yard for motors but I am not sure if there compatible with any door.

Anyone know where I can find BMW parts preferably with places online or people nearby? I am also on a budget to fix my entire car with $500.

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
is it just the back two windows dont work and the front ones are okay? if so, press the square unlabeled button on the centre console by the gearstick/shifter. i cant remember if its on the left or right, my current E30 has manual windows but should be ovious when you look for it

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it just the back two windows dont work and the front ones are okay? if so, press the square unlabeled button on the centre console by the gearstick/shifter. i cant remember if its on the left or right, my current E30 has manual windows but should be ovious when you look for it
I have already pressed the square button on the center console. That button is called the circuit breaker and it will actually disable all the windows or enable all the windows. The front windows are okay and the only problem I had before was the window motors went out. Now that they are fixed the front windows works properly.

However I still have the question if I pick up a window regulator motor from any door and put the motor into a particular door will the motor work? Example I remove a motor from the front right passenger side and place it into the back rear right passenger side. Will that work?

· On Top
10,404 Posts
I have already pressed the square button on the center console. That button is called the circuit breaker and it will actually disable all the windows or enable all the windows. The front windows are okay and the only problem I had before was the window motors went out. Now that they are fixed the front windows works properly.

However I still have the question if I pick up a window regulator motor from any door and put the motor into a particular door will the motor work? Example I remove a motor from the front right passenger side and place it into the back rear right passenger side. Will that work?
Negative Ghost Rider.

4 door late models have the "breaker" in the dash by the hazard and fader knob, You also have a child lock on the rear windows only as Andy already mentioned. Even if the switch..."works" it may be not completing the circuit.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Negative Ghost Rider.

4 door late models have the "breaker" in the dash by the hazard and fader knob, You also have a child lock on the rear windows only as Andy already mentioned. Even if the switch..."works" it may be not completing the circuit.
Thanks I ll look into this. I am not sure what the fader knob is or where it is. I hope I can save some money this way.

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
i forgot the USA cars are different to euro cars. the square button is the child safety button no matter where in the world you are. the window curcuit breaker is a rectangle button in the center console by the gearstick on euro cars, and is above the stereo headunit in USA cars. in both cases the button is rectangle and un labeled. hope this clarifies.

and the fader adjust the sound between the front and back of the car, it is independent of the head unit on all USA E30s afaik, but is built in on facelift E30 models outside the USA, except the 316i which kept the prefacelift stereo.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Restating question

Question never got answered

I was wondering if can I pick up a window regulator motor from the front passenger side and place that motor into the rear passenger side? I am going to the junk yard for motors but I am not sure if there compatible with any door.

· D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
32,092 Posts
Look on Realoem.com and see if the part numbers are the same for both motors.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Thank you so much hornhospital for that website you saved me from a lot of trouble. I have found the answer to my question. Thanks to all who helped me as well.

Answer:

The window regulator motor works for the side it was built for. For example if you have a right window regulator motor die you could replace it only with a motor from the right side and if you have a window regulator motor for the left die whether its driver or rear passenger it will work the left side.

On a side note I have no idea why parts are so expensive on this website seriously $276 for just the window motor alone. Where do you guys get your parts?

· Old School
4,146 Posts
Pelican Parts and wreckers. The MOTORS are the same the MOUNTING is different. Lot of fiddling around to change them though.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pelican Parts and wreckers. The MOTORS are the same the MOUNTING is different. Lot of fiddling around to change them though.
Thanks for the warning but its alright I wont be doing the work. I am not a tech savy person nor do I own my own garage to do this kind of work. Sadly I will have to chip out at least $75 for them to install it unless I go to the bad neighborhoods to get it installed for $30.

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
On a side note I have no idea why parts are so expensive on this website seriously $276 for just the window motor alone. Where do you guys get your parts?
those are an indication of the BMW listed prices, i.e. what you pay at your local dealership. most of them are pretty accurate, and are before BMW car club discounts, repeat customer etc.

you may be right, but im pretty sure the mountings are rivited to the motors, not just a bolt on setup, so pretty much impossible to make work from an economic point of view.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.