BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about you guys having window regulator problems, but my family has 6 E46's some dating back to 1999, not one has ever had any problems, nor has anybody on out local car forum with over 100 E46 owners

Is it just a USA thing ?

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
I've always wondered about how common of a problem it really is. It seems that almost everyone here has had to replace at least a couple on their car, yet I have NEVER had a problem with them on my '99 323i :dunno:

·
Drives cars for a living!
3,935 Posts
I have a feeling it might be related to cold climates. What I think happened to mine was a slight ice build-up on the sash(window frozen to the trim), and when I went to open the window at the drive up ATM, it broke. So like a dumbass I tried the passenger window and it broke also. Anyone from CA or FL break the regulators?

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
I have not had to replace any window regulators in my '02 E46 due to regulator failure. However, one was replaced as it was damaged in the accident.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Test_Engineer said:
So like a dumbass I tried the passenger window and it broke also. Anyone from CA or FL break the regulators?
I'm sorry, but your post cracked me up :rofl:. That is exactly the sort thing I would do :bustingup.

My regulators I think are ok, for now, but the driver side one is lose or something. It is at the "lower the window by 1/100th of an inch and it'll stop rattling" stage. I need to take the door apart and have a look.

James.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
Test_Engineer said:
I have a feeling it might be related to cold climates. What I think happened to mine was a slight ice build-up on the sash(window frozen to the trim), and when I went to open the window at the drive up ATM, it broke. So like a dumbass I tried the passenger window and it broke also. Anyone from CA or FL break the regulators?
Interesting observation.

My car has spent the majority of its life in FL (where I bought it), SoCal, central Nevada, a few months in Rochester, NY during the winter of 2004 and now at the North Coast of Cali. I haven't had any trouble with the regulators so far, but then again, I don't lower the window if there is ANY hint of ice or frost.

You should see me pay a toll when it's cold and rainy/sleeting out. :eek:

Maybe that's why mine has lasted this long.... :dunno:

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
Test_Engineer said:
I replaced 5 in my '99 328i so I don't think the temperature has a lot to do with it. Of course when I queried the SA about it he implied it had to do with the hot weather we have here, translation: he had no idea why they were failing.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I replaced seven in my 2000 328i and three so far in my 2003 330i. I too have heard the "heat" story from SA.

You guys who have never replaced a window regulator must be going to church more often than me or something?

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
Alan Flanary said:
I replaced seven in my 2000 328i and three so far in my 2003 330i. I too have heard the "heat" story from SA.

You guys who have never replaced a window regulator must be going to church more often than me or something?
Maybe they never roll their windows down :eeps: .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Donnalee said:
I keep reading about you guys having window regulator problems, but my family has 6 E46's some dating back to 1999, not one has ever had any problems, nor has anybody on out local car forum with over 100 E46 owners

Is it just a USA thing ?
I've owned E36 (318is) and E46 (330i) and had window regulator issues with both. Luckily, I caught problem the E46 while under warranty. And yes, I live in the USA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For those of you who've replaced one or several, how often do you roll down your windows ... and when you roll them down, do you typically go all the way down?

My father, for example, is a nut about not rolling down the driver's side window unless it's an absolute necessity.

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
Two dead in 4.5 years. Both passenger side (first front, second rear). First one failed at the 2 year mark. Second failed a couple weeks ago.

I'm in SF Bay Area, CA. I had the first one replaced under warranty so I'm not sure what part broke. The second one I replaced myself. The plastic disk holding the bottom end of the cable/spring/nub broke. Pretty easy DIY.

I roll down my windows everytime it's a sunny day (at least cracked and fairly often) and the passenger sides get a bit more use than the driver's side windows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
330 i and now 330 Ci

Donnalee said:

Is it just a USA thing ?
I live in Sacramento, CA and I replaced 3 of the 4 regulators on my BMW 330 i in 14 months. Also, one on my 330 Ci.

Put it this way, at my BMW dealer, the service associate checks EVERY BMW that comes in even before they talk to you to find out what's wrong and why you are bringing it in to service and they automatically check all four windows and the moon roof. So, it must be a common issue along with the peeling of the cup holders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts