BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 330i and I just replaced the front passenger window regulator(I did the back one not moe than two months ago). Which as you may know involves removing the side airbag from the door. In order to get the window regulator to come out I had to put the key in the ignition and put it in the on position in order to get the window to work so that I could get to the window bolts. Everything went fine with the window regulator installation but now I have an airbag fault. When I start the car the airbag light falshes once and stayes on. How do I reset this fault. Is there a way to do it without going to the dealer or the use of a special tool?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Henry

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
Unfortunately, you can only reset the light with a special tool. You have a few options: buy the $120 tool (Peake Research R5/SRS-16), borrow the tool from a fellow fester, or visit a dealer or local mechanic. Some people were successful at getting their dealer to do it for free so you might want to give that a try. I was recently in the same situation as you, so I made a few calls and found a local BMW mechanic who reset it free of charge.

Hope this helps.

- Michael

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tip! If you going to replace a window lifter, make sure to have it positioned to make way for the removal of the screws and lifter. if positioned, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery to prevent fault from your airbag.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tip! If you going to replace a window lifter, make sure to have it positioned to make way for the removal of the screws and lifter. if positioned, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery to prevent fault from your airbag.
goodluck!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Autozone doesn't have the airbag tool. At least the one I called didn't. A local shop will do it for me for $20. I called the stealer just for a point of reference and they quoted $100
For that price you are better off just buying the reset tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts