BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· 99 528i; 89 e30 M3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of my window regulators are bad and need replacement (Driver, RL, RR).

Rear Right: there is no motor movement at all, and window panel is loose.

Other two windows: both motors work but the windows only drops about 2" and makes that awful grinding noise.

So my question is, for the two windows, can I just buy the regulator and reuse my old motors? Or should I just buy new regulators with new motors?

('99 528i)

· Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,271 Posts
Three of my window regulators are bad and need replacement (Driver, RL, RR).

Rear Right: there is no motor movement at all, and window panel is loose.

Other two windows: both motors work but the windows only drops about 2" and makes that awful grinding noise.

So my question is, for the two windows, can I just buy the regulator and reuse my old motors? Or should I just buy new regulators with new motors?

('99 528i)
No need to buy new motors if motor working. They last alot longer than the regulator tracks, pulleys and crimps.

Check out Top Rated seller, Mirrorguard on Ebay for quality rebuilt regulators without the motor.

Do not confuse the Ebay knockoffs with the rebuilt ones from MirrorGuard. The guy takes OEM regulators and rebuilds them with upgraded parts. In fact, he offers a core discount on your old broken regulators if you opt for the advanced replacement.

· Registered
209 Posts
As long as the motors work you don't need to replace them. Take a look at EAC and compare the prices on oour regulators.

· Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Since you have three of them out, you might benefit from cn90's DIY:
- How to fabricate your own power window regulator repair kit (1)
Before recommending this repair, you need to explain to the OP that this sort of repair will ONLY work on 6/99 and earlier style REAR regulators. So if the car is later production, or has ever had the rear regulators previously replaced, then this will not work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.